Vaccine that guards against STDs - are you in favour?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Vaccine that guards against STDs - are you in favour?

Postby winth » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Story:
Boy meets girl, boy likes girl, boy cohabits with girl and err...

9 months down the road:
Girl developed pus near her vagina area, had to go KK to check out.
Boy only then knows that she had medical records & history with KK on STD-related diseases.
Boy shows no symptoms though.

Girl had blood tests and was positively infected with 2 types of STD (not AIDS - let's call it type A & B), treatable but with lots of 后遗症 related to hormones and complications during and after pregnancy.
Boy gets tested too, boy positively infected with 2 types of STD (not AIDS - and he has type B & C), treatable too but has got lots of complications too.

Conclusion:
Both had unprotected sex with third parties, as type A & C STD is not from one another. Wonders if the other parties involved knows if they are in danger of this disease? And story goes on since love = sex nowadays for most youngsters.

There are now vaccines for girls to protect against STD related diseases but haven't heard of for boys (or maybe I'm outdated with this, do correct me if I'm wrong).

Are you in favour of having your children vaccinated against STDs?

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Vaccine that guards against STDs - are you in favour?

Postby jedamum » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:30 pm

winth wrote:Story:
Are you in favour of having your children vaccinated against STDs?

yes, but i won't tell him what is the vaccine about nor let him know that he is vaccinated against it.
although they may make such related foolish mistakes next time, it shouldn't be so severe as to destroy their future.
jmho.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby winth » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:05 pm

It's kinda scary when I think about it, what if it happens to my boys...

Imagine that they have intercourse with a woman/girl that they love and plan to marry, but the woman/girl turns out to be STD positive.

Took a few days to research about info on this kind of vaccine when I heard this news from my friend. He's now undergoing treatment, level 2 of the disease, if it had gone to level 3 - left 3 years.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clarabella » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 pm

jedamum wrote:yes, but i won't tell him what is the vaccine about nor let him know that he is vaccinated against it.

Hmm... i imagine such a vaccine, if it is ever manufactured, would be recommended to be administered at a preteen age. How to avoid telling a 10-12 yo he's getting a jab without telling him what it is? :lol:

clarabella
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ghostz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:51 pm

oh.. i thought it was for us parents!

yup. in favour. problem is how to tell them it is "vitamins", and then they go and tell all their schoolmates they got vitamin std jab!

ghostz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby winth » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:08 pm

Actually I'm not so in favour.... for now.

Bec sometimes, it's really a matter of principle.
If you wanna go out and have 'fun', then you should face the consequences.

The boy once told me, quite crude (but here goes):
Girls are the same, they only have xxx and xxx
When you switch off the lights or put a pillow on their face, they are just the same, not so different from girl 1 and girl 2, just different sizes

In my mind, I was like, you :siao: ah, don't all guys have the same things as well. Why you want to belittle women like that? DH was there when he said it and we were really pissed off.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:10 am

clarabella wrote:How to avoid telling a 10-12 yo he's getting a jab without telling him what it is? :lol:

Tell him it's chicken pox vaccine maybe? :lol: :lol:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:12 am

winth wrote:
Bec sometimes, it's really a matter of principle.
If you wanna go out and have 'fun', then you should face the consequences.

Ya...they should face the consequences, but what if it becomes life-threatening? Does a foolish impulsive error made when one is young warrant such drastic punishment?

Maybe the vaccine should work along the line of chicken pox vaccine, ie, will still get the breakout, but in a less severe form.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby winth » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:02 pm

jedamum wrote:Ya...they should face the consequences, but what if it becomes life-threatening? Does a foolish impulsive error made when one is young warrant such drastic punishment?

True lar...
That's why I said, not in favour for now... cover backside first hehehe...

Maybe by that time, it will become normal or compulsory jabs like going for chicken pox vaccine.

The vaccine is not ready yet for guys though, only for gals plus it's not fool-proof vaccine too, taking into consideration that such STDs mutate too.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time