Advice needed - Unreasonable Tenant!

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Advice needed - Unreasonable Tenant!

Postby Dad8282 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi,

My tenant sms and informed that he wants to terminate the lease and will shift out of the apt tomorrow, 5 Jun.

The current lease expires on 30 Jun. He has not paid this month's rental and wants to offset against the deposit held. My agent tried to explain to him that he has to settle the rental first but he refused. He even told my agent that he will not follow Singapore law and our TA agreement and told her we can call the police if we want.

I have checked his EP and it is no longer valid, called up his employer and was told his last day with the company was 1st Apr. Also, the passport no. that I have had expired in Dec 2011.

I am going down with my agent to check the inventory in the apt later this evening. I would like to seek your advice if there are things to be fixed and he is not agreeable, what should I do? My husband is unfortunately overseas right now. Would appreciate your kind advice.

Thank you.
Mum8282

Dad8282
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Advice needed - Unreasonable Tenant!

Postby hquek » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Unless you take him to court, it's hard to enforce anything. Police will say it's a private matter and they won't step in (of course, you can always exercise your right to make a report). I'm not sure if the amounts he may owe you is worth the lawyer fees also.

Be happy that you at least have deposit to offset. Just remember to get your agent to check and make sure besides that furniture/fixtures are in order, utilities/anything owing is paid up.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Dad8282 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:53 pm

hquek wrote:Unless you take him to court, it's hard to enforce anything. Police will say it's a private matter and they won't step in (of course, you can always exercise your right to make a report). I'm not sure if the amounts he may owe you is worth the lawyer fees also.

Be happy that you at least have deposit to offset. Just remember to get your agent to check and make sure besides that furniture/fixtures are in order, utilities/anything owing is paid up.

Hi hquek,

My concern is if he refuses to rectify the problem areas/items, what should I do? It seems that I am at the losing end with no recourse.

Dad8282
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Dawnie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Since your tenant already mentioned that he will not be paying the rental for this month. If I am you, I will kick him out of the house TODAY. Or get the police to escot him out if needed. If he is here on employment pass, who knows he already lost his job and is over-staying in Singapore.

Dawnie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Pen88n » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:04 pm

You still have 1 month rental to off-set (or is it 2 months deposit he has with you?). Considering that his rental is till end of month and you have the apt earlier, you can use the amount to cover problem area / items.

Is he at the apt when you do the inspection with your agent? If the problem areas / items are big value items and he refused to pay, you can do the following:
1. Inform him that he is breaching the TA and you will ensure you send his past company an official letter "blacklisting" him. If he is expecting references from the company, he can be assured of the company knowing his conduct.
2. Threaten to call the police to make the report, with evidence of the defects.

It is best that he pass you the keys and move out the apt after your inspection. Inspection should be joint inspection for handover, else there is no guarantee that there are no more damages after he has moved out.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Well at least you still have that 1 mth deposit. Just go and check that everything is in order and if nothing major, use the deposit to cover the repairs. For all you know, the apt is in ok condition.

You mentioned that he is no longer employed since 1st April and that his passport has expired since Dec. He may be overstaying. And if he does not have an extended social visit pass, he is not the only one breaking the law but you are too.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Dad8282 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:18 pm

Pen88n wrote:You still have 1 month rental to off-set (or is it 2 months deposit he has with you?). Considering that his rental is till end of month and you have the apt earlier, you can use the amount to cover problem area / items.

Is he at the apt when you do the inspection with your agent? If the problem areas / items are big value items and he refused to pay, you can do the following:
1. Inform him that he is breaching the TA and you will ensure you send his past company an official letter "blacklisting" him. If he is expecting references from the company, he can be assured of the company knowing his conduct.
2. Threaten to call the police to make the report, with evidence of the defects.

It is best that he pass you the keys and move out the apt after your inspection. Inspection should be joint inspection for handover, else there is no guarantee that there are no more damages after he has moved out.

Hi Pen88n,

Only 1 month deposit. He told my agent he knew that we will have issues, that's why he deliberately informed us of the termination at the last minute. He has already told my agent that we can call the police if we want, he knows that we can do nothing to him. I feel so frustrated and helpless!

Dad8282
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Dad8282 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Funz wrote:Well at least you still have that 1 mth deposit. Just go and check that everything is in order and if nothing major, use the deposit to cover the repairs. For all you know, the apt is in ok condition.

You mentioned that he is no longer employed since 1st April and that his passport has expired since Dec. He may be overstaying. And if he does not have an extended social visit pass, he is not the only one breaking the law but you are too.

Hi Funz,

My guess is that he may have come back as a tourist with visa or he has found a new job and has found a new place to stay. He informed my agent that he has shifted his stuff out already.

My agent has commented that the house was very messy during those times she brought prospective clients to view the apt.

I am keeping my fingers cross that the furniture/appliances/flooring are in ok condition. Not long after he first shifted in, my downstairs unit complained to security that he heard things being dragged around in the late night. He has a 2 year old child. If the flooring has been scratched, how to demand for compensation?

Dad8282
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Daddy D » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Moral of the story....
Ask for 2mths or more deposit next time... No lack of FTs looking for rental anyway.... :celebrate:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Daddy D wrote:Moral of the story....
Ask for 2mths or more deposit next time... No lack of FTs looking for rental anyway.... :celebrate:

number of months of deposit is related to length of tenancy agreement. is a market practice
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time