Record number of Phd recipients on food stamps

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Record number of Phd recipients on food stamps

Postby WeiHan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:16 pm

I saw this obscured piece of news. If it is true in US, it is probably true in Europe and in many parts of the world because highly educated people are probably the most mobile and can take up jobs anywhere in the world if job vacancies are available.

Will you be worry about your own and children's future seeing this startling news?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/1507 ... ewestfirst

====
Right now we have a record number of Phd recipients on food stamps and other forms of welfare.

From 2007 to 2010, the number of PhD recipients receiving entitlements has tripled to 33,655 and the number of master’s degree holders on food stamps and other forms of welfare nearly tripled during that same time period to 293,029, according to an Urban Institute study cited by the Chronicle of Higher Education.

This is shocking and I imagine its not what comes to mind when most people think of welfare recipients.

This study proves that having multiple degrees doesn't guarantee financial success, especially when you consider the high cost of college and a move by Republicans Tuesday to block a Democratic bill to preserve low interest rates for millions of college students' loans. The Democratic bill would keep interest rates for subsidized Stafford loans at 3.4% for an additional year, rater than doubling automatically for new loans starting July 1.

Are advanced degrees all what they are cracked up to be when some of the grads are making less than say a manager at Burger King?

Thoughts?
====

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Record number of Phd recipients on food stamps

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:28 pm

but did they detail out the type of PhD ?

there are all kinds of PhD in the market, lots of it from proper degree mills ..... those are PhDs but in substance is really nothing....

a 'PhD' in plumbing probably earns more and won't go out of job...
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WeiHan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:42 pm

But maybe...do you remember that senior research staff with a Ph.D from Stanford University asked to leave some biomolecular institute and he ended up driving taxi?

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:43 pm

WeiHan wrote:But maybe...do you remember that senior research staff with a Ph.D from Stanford University asked to leave IMRE and he ended up driving taxi?

yes remember that case

but driving taxi is his choice
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WeiHan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
WeiHan wrote:But maybe...do you remember that senior research staff with a Ph.D from Stanford University asked to leave IMRE and he ended up driving taxi?

yes remember that case

Not really. He can't a similar job.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:50 pm

WeiHan wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:

yes remember that case

Not really. He can't a similar job.

ya he could not find a similar job to the one at IMRE but there are many other "suitable" jobs other than taxi driving...may be to him, taxi driving is the most "suitable"...one man's meat is another's poison
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WeiHan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:00 am

No...he looked around....he tried applying for civil servant jobs, many other white collar jobs but they all refused him.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WeiHan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:04 am

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:22 am

WeiHan wrote:No...he looked around....he tried applying for civil servant jobs, many other white collar jobs but they all refused him.

not such a simplistic case :

Quote :

“I have been forced out of my research job at the height of my scientific career” and was unable to find another job “for reasons I can only describe as something uniquely Singapore”.

The story quickly spread far and wide over the Internet. Most Singaporeans expressed admiration for his ability to adapt so quickly to his new life. Two young Singaporeans asked for his taxi number, saying they would love to travel in his cab and talk to him.

“There’s so much he can pass on to me,” one said.

Others questioned why, despite his tremendous scientific experience, he is unable to find a teaching job.

His unhappy exit is generally attributed to a personal cause (he has alleged chaotic management by research heads) rather than any decline in Singapore’s bio-tech project, which appears to be surviving the downturn.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... &sec=focus

when there was only a few PhD around, they got no choice but to accept any PhD even if he spouts vulgarity (whatever other negatives) every day ..... but when there are choices, one has to make himself marketable in every way....who moved my cheese ??!
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WeiHan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:55 am

So does parents still think that a higher paper qualification equates better chance of success? Or what do you think? What will you do to enhance future success of your child? Or really, is it something that you can control? Or you will just let your child pursue whatever he/she is most interested in? What is your view? Since even higher paper qualification does not equate career success, does getting into a "better" school helps?

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time