The bane of vacation - project work

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

The bane of vacation - project work

Postby MollyCoddle » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 am

When do they become too much for students? All my students from a well-known school have to work on projects for almost every subject. Is not the vacation time for them to take a rest? As a tutor, I am there to guide and mentor them. I become ridiculously busy and stressed because of them. I try not to show it in front of the children but these projects demand skills that are usually beyond the students. I know it is good to stretch them; one learns when one engages in something that stretches one or is beyond what one knows. But by how much and how far should students be subjected to this "stretching". That is the big question. Many of them do not know how to do it or only have vague ideas on how to begin.

MollyCoddle
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: The bane of vacation - project work

Postby Otah » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:47 am

May I ask which level of school is that? Sometime adults spoil the market. If one student has the project done at home with the help of his adult and be able to product a high standard piece of work it will push up the market standard. Worst still if this later developed as a school standard when more people follow.
My ds school ever advised parents not to focus on result but focus on the kids learning process, let them do it their way. Of course, the school must set guildeline to accept the students standard of work .

Otah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: The bane of vacation - project work

Postby MollyCoddle » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:13 pm

Actually I have no particular school in mind. Most schools believe in giving their students homework during the June holidays. I just feel a little sorry to see students overwhelmed.

I will not post anymore about this topic as it can become sensitive. I will not respond to anymore response to it.

Thank you.

MollyCoddle
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Recess Time