What I hate about the current Singapore

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

What I hate about the current Singapore

Postby Carnagejane » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:40 pm

I am just sickened by the recent news about the efforts to bond Singaporeans in view of the upcoming ndp 2012. Seriously, what exactly is there to LOVE about our little island? Here are some reasons:
1. Very COMPETENT ministers, think mr " train breakdowns are unavoidable" transport czar. Or " Singaporeans can indeed buy a hdb flat with a 1k income" statement from well you know who.

2. We are now a haven for foreigners who enjoy life and luxury at the expense of born and bred here Singaporeans.

3. The men in blue are very efficient in making small arrests but yet stay scared and silent with regards to the big issues caused by our FRIENDLY" foreign friends.

4. We have a very fantastic inflation rate, but our dear gahmen says it will ease in the future, so fear not.

5. It is so damn hard to increase low wage workers remuneration by 50 bucks; didn't the ministers took a sizeable pay cut after GE2011? Why not channel those cuts towards helping our poor Singaporeans? Why the long silly discussions just over a teeny meeny 50 dollar raise?

6. Our cars are VERY AFFORDABLE thanks to soaring Coe prices.

Feel free to add to the discussion my fellow disillusioned countrymen.
Carnagejane
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: What I hate about the current Singapore

Postby janet88 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Singapore is 6th on the list of expensive cities in the world, sharing the spot with Zurich. I just hope prices will come down. Food is getting so expensive. Eating at home is best bcos of nutrition, but it is expensive.

If prices of COE drops, there will be more cars on the road...which is already a headache. But car salesmen get to earn a living and perhaps things will be cheaper.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Dun hate but concerned :sweat: :scared: :nailbite:

People are getting more selfish & intolerant & money-minded.
Examples: curry-cooking complaints, NIMBY - nursing home etc.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:21 pm

I feel there is already too many cars on the road..

Why don't they divide the COE into 2 groups.. one is the bidding for those with excess cash to bid all they like.. and the other group for ballot.. and for the ballot group, those who exceed a certain income cannot ballot.. like HDB income celling..

And the end result is the same.. control the number of cars on the road..

But also provide an opportunity for those who really need to own a car to be able to own it at an affordable price.

At the same time, it should improve the public transport, so that there is less incentive for pple to own cars..

With more efficient transport system, it will lead to a greener environment too..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby boringmum » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:56 am

(1) Overpopulated. Lack of amenities to support the increased population aka immigration. (2) Sinkaporeans hv become 2nd class citizens. Sinkies r left to struggle, while garmen is generously giving scholarships, blah, blah, blah to foreigners. It is not Singaporeans first, the only country that does not put her citizen first.
(3) i feel like a foreigner in my own country.
(4) Crazy education system.
(5) Elitism.

More good years? :?

I don't know what to say.

boringmum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hokkiengirl » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:39 am

Carnagejane wrote:I am just sickened by the recent news about the efforts to bond Singaporeans in view of the upcoming ndp 2012. Seriously, what exactly is there to LOVE about our little island? Here are some reasons:
1. Very COMPETENT ministers, think mr " train breakdowns are unavoidable" transport czar. Or " Singaporeans can indeed buy a hdb flat with a 1k income" statement from well you know who.

I'm not sure I understand the point about the HDB flat. It has already been proven mathematically and in real life that people with an income of 1k really can afford a flat. Of course, the usual caveats are in place. The flat cannot possibly be a five-room flat in Bishan with a high floor and a sea view. The flat will most likely be a new 2-room flat in the newer areas (Punggol, Sengkang, right?) after subsidies and financial aid, etc. So what's the problem with this issue?

For me, I don't hate anything in Singapore, but I am saddened that:

1) People seem to be in a state of constant discontent. We seem to have forgotten to count our blessings and have a knack for looking at everything negatively.

2) We can't agree to disagree politely and civilly. As long as we have different views about politics, religion, etc, that is reason enough to start mini wars online. Too many people make ugly and insulting comments online simply because the anonymity allows them to do so. A very unpleasant trend.

3) Too many people seem to be spolit and self-centred. It's all about them. Parents pamper and are over-protective of children. This leads to a generation that has a strong sense of entitlement and not enough drive.

4) We don't seem to want to take responsibility for our own actions. A lot of times, we at least have some form of control and choice over how we want to live our lives. We can choose to buy a car or take public transport. We can choose to have one parent stay home or for both to work. (I know this is entirely possible even for those from low-income families. I know several in my estate where the mum stays home even if Dad is not drawing a high salary.) We seem to want to blame someone else that our lives are not exactly the way we want them to be.

Can we acknowledge all that is wrong with our society without getting too caught up in the negativity, please? Let's try to make our world a little better in our own ways, if we think that life in Singapore is that stinky.

What I have done:

- given free/subsidised tuition to children from low-income families
-donated regularly to specific charities
- raised my children to not be ill-mannered cretins
- been a nice enough neighbour who tries to be considerate
- speak out against animal abuse when I see it

Yup, it's a list filled with itsy-bitsy things, but it's at least something...

(Ok, I'm bracing myself with my eyes closed. Let the flames come!!!!)

hokkiengirl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby looking4Tutor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:22 am

I guess Singapore is at the crossroads of an identity crisis. Before establishing a strong culture of her own, it is now influx with foreigners that established their cultures all over. We can find pocket of places, Little India, Beach Road, People Park, etc., - mushrooming in Singapore, where we can soak in cultures of foreign lands. But you cannot find a place in Singapore to experience a true local culture, if there is any to start with. Unless we count putting tissue paper on table in food courts as one uniquely Singapore culture.

looking4Tutor
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby peterch » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:44 am

Join 16 June 2012 at 14.21
First post 16 June 2012 at 14.40, then thread starter don't bother to response in the discussion.

Later next few weeks, this thread will be on papers again ;)

Cheers

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tankee » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:29 am

limlim wrote:I feel there is already too many cars on the road..

Why don't they divide the COE into 2 groups.. one is the bidding for those with excess cash to bid all they like.. and the other group for ballot.. and for the ballot group, those who exceed a certain income cannot ballot.. like HDB income celling..

And the end result is the same.. control the number of cars on the road..

But also provide an opportunity for those who really need to own a car to be able to own it at an affordable price.

At the same time, it should improve the public transport, so that there is less incentive for pple to own cars..

With more efficient transport system, it will lead to a greener environment too..

the thing is ....

too many cars ==> reduce COE to control growth ==> higher car price ==> peoples & dealers not happy ==> increase COE to lower price ==> people complains too many cars on road .....

tankee
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:29 am

peterch wrote:Join 16 June 2012 at 14.21
First post 16 June 2012 at 14.40, then thread starter don't bother to response in the discussion.

Later next few weeks, this thread will be on papers again ;)

Cheers

:goodpost:

tankee
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recess Time