$50 or more for materials fee at tuition centre

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

$50 or more for materials fee at tuition centre

Postby kitty2 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:31 am

Wonder anyone will pay more than $50 or more for materials fee at a tuition centre?It's not refundable if one withdraws.

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: $50 or more for materials fee at tuition centre

Postby kitty2 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:53 am

tuition_czar wrote:What kind of materials are we talking about? Is the $50 a one-time thingy or to be paid on a recurrent basis (say monthly or annually)?

Materials like worksheet and notes......$100/year.

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:08 am

tuition_czar wrote:That is rather steep a fee to pay. The no refund policy is probably there to make the student think twice before quitting, but still $100 a year is............just exorbitant.

:goodpost: The centre claims that they've excellent materials and painstakingly typed!!! They have faced issues of abuse of their materials in the past :? That's why the fee is so steep :stupid:If one joins around May also has to pay $50 for the material fees :siao: It's per subject if 2 subjects will be doubled!!!!

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby whitecorp » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:18 am

Abuse as in free distribution to others who are not taking lessons at the tuition centre? I for one do not subscribe to such a selfish mindset. I have also painstakingly typed out my summaries and solved problem sets, yet made them all freely available to learners at my online supplementary site. Of course to be fair to my own students, I host exclusive material for them to access in other places which are not openly revealed.

At the end of the day, while good teaching resources help significantly, what really counts is the quality of the actual teaching efforts.

I too have to agree with tuition_czar that the material expenses are rather costly. Peace.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kitty2 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:09 pm

whitecorp wrote:Abuse as in free distribution to others who are not taking lessons at the tuition centre? I for one do not subscribe to such a selfish mindset. I have also painstakingly typed out my summaries and solved problem sets, yet made them all freely available to learners at my online supplementary site. Of course to be fair to my own students, I host exclusive material for them to access in other places which are not openly revealed.

At the end of the day, while good teaching resources help significantly, what really counts is the quality of the actual teaching efforts.

I too have to agree with tuition_czar that the material expenses are rather costly. Peace.

:goodpost: I fully agreed with you,she's very selfish.She claims she has excellent materials,on the other hand she asked her students to copy notes during the class.She used up 2hrs just to let the kids copying notes,without teaching!!! :slapshead: :stupid: :mad:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:49 pm

kitty2 wrote:Wonder anyone will pay more than $50 or more for materials fee at a tuition centre?It's not refundable if one withdraws.

So, after paying material fee for the "full term", do you get the 'full set" of materials even if you do not complete the term?

If not, it seems to be just a case of profiteering..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:10 am

limlim wrote:
kitty2 wrote:Wonder anyone will pay more than $50 or more for materials fee at a tuition centre?It's not refundable if one withdraws.

So, after paying material fee for the "full term", do you get the 'full set" of materials even if you do not complete the term?

If not, it seems to be just a case of profiteering..

OFF COURSE NOT!!!!She said their notes have been painstakingly typed out and if students who do not attend their classes get their notes, it isn't fair to the rest of their students. Also, they have faced issues of abuse of their materials in the past. As such, they are unable to provide any materials other than those used in the lessons attended by the kids!!!!!CRAPS!!!! :frustrated: :stupid: :mad:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:34 am

Caught my eye cos' recently I started DS on a home tuition.

1 subject, 4 in a group, 1.5 hours per session.
Was asked to pay $50 per semester for materials. But after a few lessons, all I see was the torn-out worksheets from 1 particular assessment book which cost ~$15. DS taking PSLE in Sep, so only left 3 more months. Seriously, I also feel a bit ke-tok??

Wanted to question on it....but guess....dun wanna affect the mood of the last 3 months of lesson. Shall see if there's other materials provided moving forward.

Curious to find out from those having home tuition, does such practice exist? Had thought home tutors would charge accordingly when they purchase on our behalf.....

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:11 pm

BeContented wrote:1 subject, 4 in a group, 1.5 hours per session.
Was asked to pay $50 per semester for materials. But after a few lessons, all I see was the torn-out worksheets from 1 particular assessment book which cost ~$15. DS taking PSLE in Sep, so only left 3 more months. Seriously, I also feel a bit ke-tok??

Wanted to question on it....but guess....dun wanna affect the mood of the last 3 months of lesson. Shall see if there's other materials provided moving forward.

Curious to find out from those having home tuition, does such practice exist?

My son's math tutor charges $10 for materials. Her own materials.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:12 pm

BeContented wrote:
Curious to find out from those having home tuition, does such practice exist? Had thought home tutors would charge accordingly when they purchase on our behalf.....

Different tutors different style..

For my case, I asked the parents or the students to buy themselves any assessment books that they may need.

If there is custom notes, usually only few pages just give it FOC.

Any effort in generating those notes is part of the whole tutoring package and would have been factored into the tuition fees.

IMO, "material fee" is nothing more than profiteering attempt.. nothing else.

UNLESS, the school/tutor gives the option for parent to make copies themselves.. "You pay me for the material cost or I lent you the material and you make copies yourself at your own cost".... OR, charge like 5cts per copy. Then, the material cost is justified.

$50 is easily 1000pages of notes.. do you receive so much paper? if not, then, it is ridiculous to call the $50 material cost right?

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time