A 4 year old with cancer and a mums fight to save her life

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

A 4 year old with cancer and a mums fight to save her life

Postby mintcc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:39 am

Just saw this article on asiaone.com

http://www.asiaone.com/Health/Women%252 ... 48379.html

I am very touch by the story and the fighting spirit of the mum and her friends to help her raise enough funds for the child's treatment.

http://www.ourfeistyprincess.com/about_ ... family.php
http://www.ourfeistyprincess.com/fundraising_web.php

I am thinking of taking them up on their fundraising idea
- Baby & Kids Photo Shoot or Home-made Cheese Cake/Muffins/Quiche For Sale

Any idea what the studios outside charges and any suggestions on how much we can target to raise?

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby RRMummy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:56 am

Hi mincy,

it is indeed a very heart wrenching story.. :cry:

I second your idea on pulling in a Kiasuparents.com effort for fundraising!!

Err... I can't bake thou'... can help with the selling part.. :wink:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ZacK » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:47 pm

Yeap read the story too ... Kinda touched by it...

The fund raising idea is good... Alternatively, if parents feel that they find KS forum useful and wanna help raise the awareness of our forum... Perhaps if someone is willing to consolidate the funds collected and then pass to the family and signed off collectively by members of KSP forum?? err subject to CKS approval of cos...

In such a situation, every drop makes an ocean... So be it $1, $10 or $100... I think we might be able to raise some $$ for the family.

We did it previously in another forum when a member was killed in a car accident and we raised some funds for the parents who were financially dependent on the son for support. It was not official as it was up to individual member's discretion. Everyone kinda operated on trust but there were proper accounting of the funds donated and checks to ensure that all the funds were given to the family.

Just my thots.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:00 pm

RRMummy wrote:Hi mincy,

it is indeed a very heart wrenching story.. :cry:

I second your idea on pulling in a Kiasuparents.com effort for fundraising!!

Err... I can't bake thou'... can help with the selling part.. :wink:

they put on their site some fundraising ides. the ones I thought might be good are

1. Baby & Kids Photo Shoot from their site ' Invite friends to bring their kids to a professional photo shoot session for a fee less than what you shall pay at professional studios! We will be doing candid kids’ shots, a hard to come by opportunity. We sponsor the place and the photographer. You recruit your friends. '

2. Home-made Cheese Cake/Muffins/Quiche For Sale The fundraisers make yummy cheese cakes and quiche. So, we take orders and they will start baking them...

3. Direct Donation I tot Zack's idea is good too.

wonder which one you guys prefer ?

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Please help, if you can....

Postby Bowie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi Both,

Was thinking to do a post like mincy today. Glad to see u gals have the ball rolling already.

I support Zack's idea, direct donation!! Direct and fast!

How was it done previously to ensure [Quote. proper accounting of the funds donated and checks to ensure that all the funds were given to the family. ]?

:?

Maybe we can just enquire Cynthia (Charmaine's Mommy) to give us an account to transfer our well wishes?

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Please help, if you can....

Postby ZacK » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Bowie wrote:Hi Both,

Was thinking to do a post like mincy today. Glad to see u gals have the ball rolling already.

I support Zack's idea, direct donation!! Direct and fast!

How was it done previously to ensure [Quote. proper accounting of the funds donated and checks to ensure that all the funds were given to the family. ]?

:?

Maybe we can just enquire Cynthia (Charmaine's Mommy) to give us an account to transfer our well wishes?

I think the key is transparency... This is not an exercise to see who is more charitable blah blah blah... it's really up to individual discretion and according to our individual capacity to help financially.

A possible way would be :
1. Someone from KSP designated to consolidate the funds.
2. A thread compiling the list of donators be started in this forum for the fundraising.
3. Collection method may be via personal handing over of $$ or transfer to designated collector's a/c.
4. Any person wanting to donate $$ will post his intention into the thread
5. Once $$ received by designated collecter, the thread will be updated beside the person who donated indicating that the $$ has been received.
6. When the fundraising is closed. We can print out the list and total sum raised. During handover of $$ to the gal's mummy... Can get her to acknowledge on the list. The acknowledged list be scanned and posted online so that all who donated can view that the $$ has been handed over to mummy and the transaction completed.

A note to Pt 5 above, an easier way would be to tie down a date and time for all who intends to contribute and then pass the $$ physically to the collector... Cos the collector may have problems reconciling the $$ received from funds transfer.

This is just a rough guide, of cos subject to refinements :D

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi all,

I emailed contact@ourfeistyprincess.com and here's the reply:

" Thank you for extending your help to us!

I'm replying on behalf of Cynthia. However, do rest assured that she checks this email as well.
We greatly appreciate your kind intention.

You can make your contribution to POSB savings a/c 249-*****(sorry they took the account off their site. So I think they don want to publish it)
For cheque, please direct to Lim Mei Ling, Cynthia, and help us drop off the cheque as right now, it is not convenient for her to bank it out.

Do drop me an email after you have transfered with the following information:

1) Your full name or a first name at least
2) The name/ pseudonym/ initials used when doing internet banking
3) Date of transfer
4) Whether you wish for your name to be (i)displayed in full, (ii)with some information blotted out or (iii)with your initials/ pseudonym should we do a public posting of the list of donors.
5) Whether you wish to be on our mailing list
6) Please tell us how you allow Cynthia to use the donation
(a) Only to be used for Charmaine's medical expenses
(b) Use the moeny for Charmaine's medical and personal expenses only
(c) Use the money for Charmaine's medical and personal expenses, but in need be, you also allow her to use it to ease her family's expenese

========
Optional
=======

1) Contact number
2) Preferred email address
3) Home address
4) Degree of contact. Eg “I’m Cynthia’s friend from ……….”, “I came from ??? forum”, “A friend gave me this link…” etc.

Please rest assured that the information you provide would be for our personal record purpose. =)

Apart from this, you could also help us to spread the word and click on the nuffnang ads when they appear as these don't cost money. The weather has been very bad these few days so do take care.

Regards, Charlene"

I have not done this before but what about we do this? :
start pledging the amount we will like to give. If you will like to remain anonymous pm me and I will append you to the list under anonymous.
We can keep donation pledge for this thread will be open till next monday after which we will start to consolidate the amount to a designated collector's a/c..

here goes

1. mincy pledge $20
2. username pledge $x (optional if not comfortable to publish )

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ZacK » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:56 pm

here goes

1. mincy pledge $20
2. Zack pledge $80 (I'm fine if we sign off as concerned parents of Kiasuparents.com, if CKS allows it. Take it as our way of giving back to the forum?)

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Hmmm :? >260 viewed this thread and so far only 2 pledges? :?:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby barney » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:17 am

1. mincy pledge $20
2. Zack pledge $80 (I'm fine if we sign off as concerned parents of Kiasuparents.com, if CKS allows it. Take it as our way of giving back to the forum?)
3. barney pledge $50

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time