Charging lower tuition fees for true blue Singaporeans

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Charging lower tuition fees for true blue Singaporeans

Postby whitecorp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:54 pm

I had a rather interesting discussion with my student after his lesson today, where we broached the topic of tutors setting different tuition fee structures-a lower one so that born and bred here Singaporeans can benefit financially; foreigners and PRs on the other hand will not get to enjoy this privilege.

Are you against or in favor of such an implementation?

For the record I am not xenophobic.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:38 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Charging lower tuition fees for true blue Singaporeans

Postby jedamum » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:13 am

Actually this sounds like advertising gimmick to me.
Actually I am not concern how much others are paying be them PR or otherwise so long it is good and affordable to me.
At the end of the day, how is it evident if it is really cost savings to SG instead of using the excuse to charge PR or foreigners more fee for profit purpose?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8517
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 20


Re: Charging lower tuition fees for true blue Singaporeans

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:22 am

tuition_czar wrote:
jedamum wrote:Actually this sounds like advertising gimmick to me.
Actually I am not concern how much others are paying be them PR or otherwise so long it is good and affordable to me.
At the end of the day, how is it evident if it is really cost savings to SG instead of using the excuse to charge PR or foreigners more fee for profit purpose?


Good point there, only the tutor himself will know if he is sincerely helping sgporeans or simply out to rack a profit. But I think you worry too much there mommy.

From the looks of it, TS didn't advertise anything. Just seeking opinions. Nothing wrong with that.


http://www.whitegroupmaths.com/
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Charging lower tuition fees for true blue Singaporeans

Postby Dreamaurora » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 am

If one is a commercial entity, I see no reason why this distinction has to be made. It will cause much unhappiness over existing students or customers (i.e. why suddenly your local students pay lesser fees than mine) and you will be basically alienating the PRs and foreigners who will go for your competitors who charge fairly. For government institutions the different fees are okay because the locals are subsidised with taxpayers' money, but commercial entities are not.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 am
Total Likes: 34


Re: Charging lower tuition fees for true blue Singaporeans

Postby limlim » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:04 am

whitecorp wrote:I had a rather interesting discussion with my student after his lesson today, where we broached the topic of tutors setting different tuition fee structures-a lower one so that born and bred here Singaporeans can benefit financially; foreigners and PRs on the other hand will not get to enjoy this privilege.

Are you against or in favor of such an implementation?

For the record I am not xenophobic.


Not practical to expect a private organization to provide incentive to local students.

I rather they ban or restrict tuition all together. And IMPROVE the national education program at govt schools.

How about free gifts for local patrons to casinos instead of a $100 levy..

Or cheaper opium for locals....... :evil:

On the other hand, I feel that public transport could implement such a scheme.. they have an obligation and national duty to serve the nation. After all, some of the infrastructure is funded by the state.

If the "tuition or enrichment" classes is organized by the school, then, I agree with such a scheme, if the school endorse it.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm
Total Likes: 102



Re: Charging lower tuition fees for true blue Singaporeans

Postby limlim » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:06 am

Dreamaurora wrote:If one is a commercial entity, I see no reason why this distinction has to be made. It will cause much unhappiness over existing students or customers (i.e. why suddenly your local students pay lesser fees than mine) and you will be basically alienating the PRs and foreigners who will go for your competitors who charge fairly. For government institutions the different fees are okay because the locals are subsidised with taxpayers' money, but commercial entities are not.


Exactly..

:goodpost:

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm
Total Likes: 102


Re: Charging lower tuition fees for true blue Singaporeans

Postby pinkblue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:43 am

Nobody will be interested in teaching true blue Singaporeans if they are allowed to charge higher fees for PRs/foreigners.

pinkblue
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 11:56 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Charging lower tuition fees for true blue Singaporeans

Postby whitecorp » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:43 am

Dreamaurora wrote:If one is a commercial entity, I see no reason why this distinction has to be made. It will cause much unhappiness over existing students or customers (i.e. why suddenly your local students pay lesser fees than mine) and you will be basically alienating the PRs and foreigners who will go for your competitors who charge fairly. For government institutions the different fees are okay because the locals are subsidised with taxpayers' money, but commercial entities are not.


Right, I guess perhaps you are unfamiliar with the term social responsibility. And a good start would be to help your own kind. At times it isn't simply about making lots of money. Why do you think I even created a free resource site for other students to grab whatever they desire?

I reckon even if there is price differentiation, the rubber band of economics won't bounce back sharply and smack me hard in the face. So long as I can deliver the goods, people will still come knocking. Peace.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:38 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Charging lower tuition fees for true blue Singaporeans

Postby whitecorp » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:44 am

pinkblue wrote:Nobody will be interested in teaching true blue Singaporeans if they are allowed to charge higher fees for PRs/foreigners.


You can count me out. So you are wrong in saying nobody. Peace.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:38 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Charging lower tuition fees for true blue Singaporeans

Postby atutor2001 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:52 pm

pinkblue wrote:Nobody will be interested in teaching true blue Singaporeans if they are allowed to charge higher fees for PRs/foreigners.
Agree with you if we are talking about tuition centres because most of these outfits are set up for commercial reason. For home tutors, I think some do teach out of love. They derive satisfaction from helping someone in need and not for money. The great thing is these tutors can understand such kids better to help and change them. Very hard to find though, and I heard of only 2 cases after so many years.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1305
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:08 pm
Total Likes: 6


Next

Return to Recess Time