tuition centre deposit

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

tuition centre deposit

Postby kitty2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:51 pm

My friend enrolled her girl in a tuition centre recently as it was her first time enrolling her kid in a tuition centre.She doesn't know of any rules or regulations.Lately,she wanted to withdraw her instantly as she has financial problem and the tutor is not teaching well.She wanted to take back her deposit but the boss insisted that she needs she to give one month notice.The problem is nobody asked her to sign the terms and condition so she doesn't know have such rules.The boss also knew that she didn't sign the form but just refused to return the money!!!! :mad:

Anyone can give her any advice or help her?The centre is dishonest and cheating her!!!! :mad:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: tuition centre deposit

Postby limlim » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 pm

err...... stomp it? :evil:

on a serious note.. can look for case.

and maybe.. post on ksp.... but inform the center she will be posting about it in the forums so that they can come here to give their side of the story..

if only 1 sided story.. maybe the mod will remove it.....

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:01 pm

it is the usual practice for many enrichment centres to collect a deposit upon registration and a 1 month withdrawal notice is usually required......in order to get it back.

it was reported in papers that even restaurants (some) are asking for a deposit when you make a reservation...the deposit is to offset any cost incurred in case of no show.

i doubt your friend is able to get it back.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:02 pm

limlim wrote:
on a serious note.. can look for case.

case? useless unless u are a member of case....and you have to pay a fee to join....

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:45 am

kitty2 wrote:My friend enrolled her girl in a tuition centre recently as it was her first time enrolling her kid in a tuition centre.She doesn't know of any rules or regulations.Lately,she wanted to withdraw her instantly as she has financial problem and the tutor is not teaching well.She wanted to take back her deposit but the boss insisted that she needs she to give one month notice.The problem is nobody asked her to sign the terms and condition so she doesn't know have such rules.The boss also knew that she didn't sign the form but just refused to return the money!!!! :mad:

Anyone can give her any advice or help her?The centre is dishonest and cheating her!!!! :mad:

TS, highlighted key points for you.

If T&C is NOT explicitly spelled out, it can be a basis for claim against unfair trading. You don't fabricate a T&C out of nowhere w/o first informing the client and expect pple to abide by it. Not spelled out means it is non-existent. Unless it is a given by industry practices. Unless 100% of all tuition provider require deposit, I don't see why it is a given industrial practice.

As a fair practice, if the center already prepare material in advance, it is reasonable to ask the student to pay for the material and bring it home.

Else.. deposit is nothing but profiteering attempt.

Try and talk to CASE and see what they says.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CookiesMonster » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:32 am

i enrolled with one centre in amk. requested for temporary stopage but wasn't informed of additional rules not stated on their T&C. centre changed franchisee n i wasn't informed. when i wanted to resume, i was told that i have to pay another round of deposit n as my previous one amounted to $120 with old franchisee wasn't transferred. what pissed me off was this is franchise biz and shdn't we be kept informed if there is a change in franchisee?

CookiesMonster
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kitty2 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:06 pm

limlim wrote:
kitty2 wrote:My friend enrolled her girl in a tuition centre recently as it was her first time enrolling her kid in a tuition centre.She doesn't know of any rules or regulations.Lately,she wanted to withdraw her instantly as she has financial problem and the tutor is not teaching well.She wanted to take back her deposit but the boss insisted that she needs she to give one month notice.The problem is nobody asked her to sign the terms and condition so she doesn't know have such rules.The boss also knew that she didn't sign the form but just refused to return the money!!!! :mad:

TS, highlighted key points for you.

If T&C is NOT explicitly spelled out, it can be a basis for claim against unfair trading. You don't fabricate a T&C out of nowhere w/o first informing the client and expect pple to abide by it. Not spelled out means it is non-existent. Unless it is a given by industry practices. Unless 100% of all tuition provider require deposit, I don't see why it is a given industrial practice.

As a fair practice, if the center already prepare material in advance, it is reasonable to ask the student to pay for the material and bring it home.

Else.. deposit is nothing but profiteering attempt.

Try and talk to CASE and see what they says.

:goodpost: I fully agreed with you if there's no black and white she has the right to get back the deposit.She told me the boss said even working in a company also needs one month notice!!!I think this boss is dump :slapshead: already told him she was not asked to sign the T &C!!!She even showed him,the form was blank didn't sign.Yet refused to return the money,should be desperate for money.A big time cheater!!!! :mad: Can call police,sort of corrution :rotflmao:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Looks like nobody has any good suggestions beside going to CASE.My friend called the boss but she refused to answer the phone.She emailed her and told her she would report to CASE if she doesn't return the deposit.She also didn't reply,looks like the centre is a blood sucker and desperate for money!!! :mad:

Please help if you've any good suggestions :thankyou:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Stomp it.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time