Alcohol & Teachers on School Trips

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Alcohol & Teachers on School Trips

Postby Metis » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Will appreciate forum members' advice on whether I should give feedback to my child's school about a teacher's alcohol consumption on a school trip overseas.

According to my child and a few other students, one of the teachers drank at least a glass of wine every dinner. Fortunately, he was able to function normally on most evenings. On a couple of evenings, his speech was slurred and he had to stumble to the tour bus. The other teacher did not drink and was not too successful in her attempts to dissuade him. The trip went smoothly but I think his ability to look after the youngsters in his charge was probably compromised. I am also worried for other children that he may be in charge of on future trips.

As he is a good teacher, I emailed a general feedback to MOE, hoping that MOE would issue a warning and explicit guideline on this to all schools and teachers. This will hopefully give the teacher a second chance without damaging his career. My feedback was : "Does MOE have a guideline for alcohol limit for teachers, tour guides and drivers taking students on school trips? I am concerned due to feedback from one of my children during a recent trip."

Here is the reply I received today: "Based on the information you have provided, we wish to share that the school Principal or management would be in a better position to address your concerns and look into the matter. "

I am reluctant to do so as I don't want to ruin this teacher's future. On the other hand, I am bugged by a nagging feeling that something bad may happen in future. Unfortunately, my intuition had always been reliable. What should I do?

Metis
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Alcohol & Teachers on School Trips

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:57 pm

I was on a SQ flight once going from SF to Singapore via Taiwan when it got diverted to Japan due to strong headwinds which made the flight dangerously low on fuel. The crew that was with us could not continue as there was a regulation on the number of hours the pilot can fly continuously, so SQ had to fly another crew from Singapore to Narita to fly us home. On arrival, we were told the new crew could not fly because the Captain consumed some alcohol on the flight so we all had to wait overnight because of the flight rules against such behavior! All hell broke loose with the Taiwanese passengers crying bloody murder, but that was another story.

My point is, there is nothing wrong with teachers, policemen, politicians, pilots, etc consuming alcohol. But if one does that when one is on duty, then something is very wrong. By definition, school teachers on overseas trips are still on duty, as long as students remain in their charge. Would any sane parent leave their kids overseas with a guardian whose judgement may be impaired by alcohol? The answer is clear.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Metis » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks Chief Kiasu! So do you think I should inform the school? The Principal? :(

Metis
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby try » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:50 pm

Metis, you should inform the school principal. Don't worry about jeopardizing the teacher's future. You are helping him to make correct decisions in future - obviously this teacher doesn't know what's right or wrong.

You are also preventing a very possible misfortune that can happen to other students.

try
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby limlim » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:49 am

TS, you should make a formal report against the teacher to the school/P.

If he has failed to demonstrate due responsibility and diligence in his duty of care to his charge, he should be reported. Whether or not he should be given a chance, with be decided by the P.. who is in a better position to judge.. not you..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time