How to save electricity?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How to save electricity?

Postby iRabbit » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:25 pm

DW has this theory that it's better to leave the toilet lights on for extended period of time (lets say 1-2 hr) rather than have it switched on-and-off a few times over the same period. She mentioned something about voltage spikes when lights are switched on. Apparently, voltage spikes hurts my pocket bad. Apparently there's a scientific principle behind it. :skeptical:

I always like to switch them off as I dislike the idea of them generating unneccessary heat in our sweltering nights (I'm an air-con creature). Also, I've my doubts about this voltage spike theory.

So who's right? Any scientist or engineer or learned man and woman out there can to solve my puzzle? :wink:

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to save electricity?

Postby janet88 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:30 pm

FQW wrote:I always like to switch them off as I dislike the idea of them generating unneccessary heat in our sweltering nights (I'm an air-con creature). Also, I've my doubts about this voltage spike theory.

Its hard not to be an air con creature given the weather we are facing now...34 degrees all the time. Even the nights are not cooler.
Practically needless to switch on heater now...but kids need warm water to wash up in the morn.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:43 pm

If you on, off, on, off..repeatedly non stop for, say.. one hour.. it is definitely using more electricity then leaving it on continuously..

If you on, and off it a few times within the hour, the amount of electricity will be definitely less then leaving it on continuously..

voltage spikes occurs for a few msec.. that few milliseconds of even 1000% power consumption is not gonna make a different on your bills.

However, the concern should not be the amount of electricity used, but rather, the accelerate wear and tear due to VERY frequent on/off.

In any case, unless you switch it on/off a few dozen times an hour continuously.. frequent on/off is not going to make a significant impact. if any at all.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:39 pm

That's what I thought too. How can leaving the lights on for extended periods of time be greener then switching it on a few times an hour?

If only I can get an [official] article to bust this myth.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Just learn how to read the meter outside the flat will do..

On the lights for 2 hours, then compare the meter reading before/after to find how much the meter move. Then, repeat will on/off a few times.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:18 pm

FQW wrote:That's what I thought too. How can leaving the lights on for extended periods of time be greener then switching it on a few times an hour?

aiyah... use candles lah. More lo-man-tic and also save electricity at the same time. :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby fightingmom » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:25 pm

schweppes wrote:
FQW wrote:That's what I thought too. How can leaving the lights on for extended periods of time be greener then switching it on a few times an hour?

aiyah... use candles lah. More lo-man-tic and also save electricity at the same time. :wink:

:rotflmao: that's a fan-tas-tic idea , schweppes !

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:29 pm

fightingmom wrote:
schweppes wrote:

:rotflmao: that's a fan-tas-tic idea , schweppes !

Thot of another one. FQW can also use kerosene lamp! :duck: :siam: :wink:

:rotflmao:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby iRabbit » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:42 pm

Candles I scared my neighbours will scared, in case I accidentally burn down the whole block of flats.

But mabbe will catch fireflies and put them in a bottle. How's that for going green? Mabbe I pick up smoking ... to save electricity ...
Last edited by iRabbit on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:45 pm

limlim wrote:Just learn how to read the meter outside the flat will do..

On the lights for 2 hours, then compare the meter reading before/after to find how much the meter move. Then, repeat will on/off a few times.

Excellent idea. Except that my flat's meter is behind a locked door; don't ask me why, I also don't know. You got time to do this experiment or not?

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time