31 Dec, 1 Jan or 2 Jan?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

31 Dec, 1 Jan or 2 Jan?

Postby Admummy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:37 pm

My original EDD was 3 Jan 2010 recent check up changed to 31 Dec 2009...Heard a lot of rumors that children born on the last day of the year tend to lose out or lugi in terms of development (physically and mentally) since they are older by 1 yr old the very next day after birth .......there is another school of thought ...i am confused...of course i will take thing as it goes naturally, but if given a choice to choose the date to induce, without harming the bb, which date shall i choose....to complicate the matter, heard that school admission age is 02 jan to 01 jan of the following year... your comments pls...:?:

Admummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:53 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: 31 Dec, 1 Jan or 2 Jan?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:27 pm

Admummy wrote:My original EDD was 3 Jan 2010 recent check up changed to 31 Dec 2009...Heard a lot of rumors that children born on the last day of the year tend to lose out or lugi in terms of development (physically and mentally) since they are older by 1 yr old the very next day after birth .......there is another school of thought ...i am confused...of course i will take thing as it goes naturally, but if given a choice to choose the date to induce, without harming the bb, which date shall i choose....to complicate the matter, heard that school admission age is 02 jan to 01 jan of the following year... your comments pls...:?:


Yes, indeed. If your child is born before 2359hr of 1 Jan, he will be considered as belonging to the previous year's cohort. He will be the youngest in his class. While there is great differences each growing year before the age of 7, the differences dilute beyond that age. Still, 1 year difference between the oldest and youngest child is a lot. If you are really concerned, you may write to MOE to ask for deferment if you think your child cannot handle Primary 1 material.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Re: 31 Dec, 1 Jan or 2 Jan?

Postby hmsg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:30 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Admummy wrote:My original EDD was 3 Jan 2010 recent check up changed to 31 Dec 2009...Heard a lot of rumors that children born on the last day of the year tend to lose out or lugi in terms of development (physically and mentally) since they are older by 1 yr old the very next day after birth .......there is another school of thought ...i am confused...of course i will take thing as it goes naturally, but if given a choice to choose the date to induce, without harming the bb, which date shall i choose....to complicate the matter, heard that school admission age is 02 jan to 01 jan of the following year... your comments pls...:?:


Yes, indeed. If your child is born before 2359hr of 1 Jan, he will be considered as belonging to the previous year's cohort. He will be the youngest in his class. While there is great differences each growing year before the age of 7, the differences dilute beyond that age. Still, 1 year difference between the oldest and youngest child is a lot. If you are really concerned, you may write to MOE to ask for deferment if you think your child cannot handle Primary 1 material.


In the future, there will be no exams for P1 & P2, so not too bad... in any case, P1 is more of a K2+ level, to ensure that most children will be levelled up if they are slightly behind, e.g. CL...

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39 am
Total Likes: 1


Postby Carrotree » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi,

my son was born in mid dec, initially i didnt think so much as to him being a year-end baby in terms of studies, etc.. but as he's growing older, i do feel the stress, as i can see his friends from the same batch taller than him, more fluent in speaking, more confident, etc. and him being a boy, who matures slower than girls in general, i do see his progress being slower than his classmates :cry:

my 2 cents worth? i won't trade him or change his birthdate, cos he was a natural birth and hey, if that's the day he "chose" to come out n see the world, that's the day i will always remember and celebrate his birthdays!

as for deferment in primary school, i feel that he might be lose confidence if he is older than his peers in primary school, somehow when i was growing up and i hv friends who are older than me (i.e. malaysians, foreigners or those who retain a year), i feel that they are not very proud, even embarassed :oops: of being older than their peers in primary school.

Carrotree
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 10:11 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: 31 Dec, 1 Jan or 2 Jan?

Postby qms » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:36 am

Admummy wrote:Heard a lot of rumors that children born on the last day of the year tend to lose out or lugi in terms of development (physically and mentally) since they are older by 1 yr old the very next day after birth .......


Hi Admummy!

My brother-in-law was born in December, and he was the President's Scholar. What does it say?

At the end of the day, relax and take things naturally. You should be enjoying your pregnancy (because it is the only time you can eat lots and lots of food without feeling guilty :wink: ) rather than be troubled and confused by such issue.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor
 
Posts: 10976
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:35 am
Total Likes: 12



Re: 31 Dec, 1 Jan or 2 Jan?

Postby Admummy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:03 pm

qms wrote:
Admummy wrote:Heard a lot of rumors that children born on the last day of the year tend to lose out or lugi in terms of development (physically and mentally) since they are older by 1 yr old the very next day after birth .......


Hi Admummy!

My brother-in-law was born in December, and he was the President's Scholar. What does it say?

At the end of the day, relax and take things naturally. You should be enjoying your pregnancy (because it is the only time you can eat lots and lots of food without feeling guilty :wink: ) rather than be troubled and confused by such issue.


chiefkiasu, hmsg, carrottree:
thks all of you for the input, really helpful, i will definitely consider all these if given a chance to choose the date of bb delivery date...

qms,
wow i wish my kid can turn up to be as clever as your bro-in-law!!

i wish i could relax too but then nowadays so competitive, i cannot help but behave kiasu....anyway, i am not aiming for bb to be scholar or exceptionally doing well... my main concern is that my kid may lose out, cannot cope or feel inferior as a result of being the youngest in the cohort....if he/she struggles at such young stage, then his/her pride, mental development may be affected and this may affect the shaping of his/her future... therefore, as mother i really have to give the issue some thought....

hahah as for enjoying my pregnancy....i wish i could...but then i've been a merlion for 12 weeks already (dunno when will it end) yesterday I even vomited blood when i puked.... :cry:

Admummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:53 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: 31 Dec, 1 Jan or 2 Jan?

Postby qms » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Admummy wrote:i wish i could relax too but then nowadays so competitive, i cannot help but behave kiasu....anyway, i am not aiming for bb to be scholar or exceptionally doing well... my main concern is that my kid may lose out, cannot cope or feel inferior as a result of being the youngest in the cohort....if he/she struggles at such young stage, then his/her pride, mental development may be affected and this may affect the shaping of his/her future... therefore, as mother i really have to give the issue some thought....


Hi Admummy!

Actually, I myself was born at the end of the year, and was the youngest among my classmates. My parents didn't send me to a good school, and it didn't affect me - until my father started comparing my results with my cousins who studied in other schools. I was very :x everytime my father said my results were inferior compared to my cousins. What I am trying to say is that parents play a very important role, too, when it comes to whether the child feels pressurised or not. At the primary level, it is usually the parents who add stress to the children (of course there are exceptions). Like what Chief KS said, after a certain age, this difference in age doesn't impact on the achievements of the children much.

Admummy wrote:hahah as for enjoying my pregnancy....i wish i could...but then i've been a merlion for 12 weeks already (dunno when will it end) yesterday I even vomited blood when i puked.... :cry:


Don't worry! You have passed your first trimester! You won't be a merlion anymore :xedfingers: . Things will just get better. Who knows, you may even gain back more weight than you lost. The most important thing is not to stress yourself too much, because it will be "passed on" to the baby. It's a vicious cycle. If you don't want your child to be stressed easily in future, you must not feel stressed now. You want to have a happy baby, right? So, be happy. Just remember this song, "Dont Worry, Be Happy"... :celebrate:

Take Care!

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor
 
Posts: 10976
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:35 am
Total Likes: 12


Re: 31 Dec, 1 Jan or 2 Jan?

Postby Courage » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:04 am

:ugogirl:
Last edited by Courage on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Courage
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:52 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby IJJ » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:11 am

Que sera sera, what will be, will be. :lol:

Enjoy your pregnancy, don't worry about thing before its happens. I witness countless yearend kids doing much better than their older peers. The 'disadvantages' are only significant at the initial years. Even before formal educations, these should all be 'even out'. :wink:

IJJ
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:36 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby hairuliza » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:39 am

IJJ wrote:Que sera sera, what will be, will be. :lol:

Enjoy your pregnancy, don't worry about thing before its happens. I witness countless yearend kids doing much better than their older peers. The 'disadvantages' are only significant at the initial years. Even before formal educations, these should all be 'even out'. :wink:


I agree.
Think it all depends on whether you put the pressure of comparing your child...
They'll catch up by pri sch developmentally.. in the meantime, your child will be exposed to learning experiences @ a much earlier age than his peers.
Apparently some childhood development experts say that the child's potential to learn is highest from birth to about 6 years... so your child kind of learn more than his 'older by a few months' peers.
My son's bday is a couple days before Christmas.
Of course, if I compare him with my friend's child born in Mar, the other kid is way ahead developmentally & they're both starting nursery next year.
But I believe you have to respect your child's own development & not succumb to pressurising him.

hairuliza
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:57 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Recess Time