GCE debate rages as study shows UK kid's maths woes

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

GCE debate rages as study shows UK kid's maths woes

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Today's news in ST brings an interesting perspective to our own PSLE debacle. Apparently, the UK education minister thinks that UK's current Secondary school graduation standards is too low and wants to bring back the good ol' GCE 'O' Levels.

The symptoms of discontent? International maths competitions. According to studies, UK kids have half the probability of winning these competitions, compared to kids in other parts of the world. Singapore kids, of course, has no problems with these competitions.

So we may scream foul when it comes to the impossible standards of PSLE, but we don't complain when our kids excel in the International scene. Interesting :)

PS. and I predict a pretty "high standard" PSLE this year.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: GCE debate rages as study shows UK kid's maths woes

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:48 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:So we may scream foul when it comes to the impossible standards of PSLE, but we don't complain when our kids excel in the International scene. Interesting :)

Indeed.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Wow. The perpetual dilemma, and the seemingly impossible task of striking the right balance.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HyperKiasu » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:59 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:So we may scream foul when it comes to the impossible standards of PSLE, but we don't complain when our kids excel in the International scene. Interesting :)

But do UK parents about their low standard? :skeptical:

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:13 pm

HyperKiasu wrote:

LOL. Dunno. I've been trying to get the original report from UK or other sources, but it seems the report can only be found on StraitsTimes. Kind of weird, unless it was written by local reporters. So yah... it's a little suspect.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby laughingcat » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:19 pm

HyperKiasu wrote:

I know of 1 active forumer in KSP who is from UK did mentioned about UK education standard.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby optimistforum » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi

I think LaughingCat is referring to me. I do lament the fall in standards in our GCSEs and A'Levels. I do think within a few years we (in England) will back close to the top of the education league; as we were up to the 1970s.

On a separate note GCSEs and AS'Levels have not been normed for 24 years, ie, the top 10% getting A's. Because there is no norming, there are more As and Bs - and thus smaller differentiation between students.

However, things are changing at a frenetic pace here, both the Primary and Secondary curricula are being revamped for more rigour.
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby laughingcat » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Optimistforum, welcome back. :boogie:

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby optimistforum » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:51 pm

I forgot to add, they are being revamped very quickly, with new taxing Grammar and Spelling assessments next year for P5. I am welling up with optimism and pride :rahrah:
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 3Boys » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:03 pm

optimistforum wrote:
However, things are changing at a frenetic pace here, both the Primary and Secondary curricula are being revamped for more rigour.

And yet there are many in this forum suggesting that Singapore head in the opposite direction. Truly, you do not appreciate what you have until its gone.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time