Postby sleepy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:33 pm

胎教 is important too :wink:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to Get Smart Kids

Postby BeContented » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:38 pm

sleepy wrote:胎教 is important too :wink:

No wonder my DD whole day think of food......plan for her next meal what she wants :sweat: Since Mon, she has been telling me what she wants for Saturday's breakfast cos' she's having a long day..... :rotflmao:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamaurora » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:45 pm

struggling wrote:gee, the answer is ... PLAY!
:imcool:

http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/healthy ... -Play.aspx

Chey, I thought you were going to invoke Lee Kuan Yew's 'graduates must marry graduates'. :rotflmao:

Hmm, sports over videogames. Why not combine both? Buy Kinect 360 or Wii. :evil:

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:45 pm

sleepy wrote:胎教 is important too :wink:

Plus brain food.

Seriously.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks for the article. I'm gonna send it all those who think I was too lax with my kids. After all, I may not be that wrong, hehehehehe

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby struggling » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 am

It's a struggle though to balnce between believing in this and letting my kids go play, when the exams are looming....

But, I do recall my own childhood days when seems to be playing everyday, riding bicycles, climbing trees, playing marbles and five stones, etc.... And still doing pretty well in the exams!

Shall we all just a take a leap of faith and just do it, given the professional endorsement and advise given?

Who dares?

struggling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:52 am

struggling wrote:It's a struggle though to balnce between believing in this and letting my kids go play, when the exams are looming....

But, I do recall my own childhood days when seems to be playing everyday, riding bicycles, climbing trees, playing marbles and five stones, etc.... And still doing pretty well in the exams!

Shall we all just a take a leap of faith and just do it, given the professional endorsement and advise given?

Who dares?

In my experience, this is true.

The current PSLE syllabus is constructed in such a way (and is so demanding) that we MUST leverage on the very efficient subconscious learning that happens through play. My son barely has to study Science but still scores well in P5 and P6 simply because I encouraged him to play with his physical surroundings and do experiments with them. He started at 2.

It's a bit like playing around in the kitchen with Grandma without being taught from age 2... and then enter a culinary school to learn cooking theory and rigorous practice. The theory and practice becomes so much more intuitive simply because you've messed around so much during childhood.... that one needs little effort to master them.

Parents fear so much that unstructured play teaches nothing... or that kids cannot recall. It's quite ok if they can't verbalise or recall what they've learnt through play in toddlerhood and P1 & P2. It'll all come together in P5 and P6. Actually, if encouraged to play and explore, kids absorb much more, than if you make them do assessment books all day in K2.

Amongst other things, my son learnt his alphabets by spitting on ants to make them run in the shapes of the alphabet.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lyddon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:35 pm

From a man's perspective...
Find a smart intelligent woman to love, to marry and is willing to bear your child/children.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/brain ... 339099.htm

Lyddon
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ammonite » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:06 am

Why must everything be dictated by "smartness"? We let them play because it makes them "smarter"? We get tutors for them because it makes them LOOK "smarter" (and argue about it like verbal mud-wrestling)? We work on their motivation so that we can maximise their "smartness"? The latest that makes me roll my eyes absolutely - the debate on breastfeeding and how it makes children "smarter" or not.

No wonder the top prize winner of the UOB art competition is called "Let Me Sleep".

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time