Is mummy the better parent?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Is mummy the better parent?

Postby admin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:40 pm

Interestingly, it is difficult to find a parenting resource, online or offline, that does not have an overwhelmingly "Mummy" focus. Why is daddy often left out in the cold? Is it because people think parenting is best left to mummy and daddy should just focus on earning his nuts and playing golf?
admin
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:56 am

I think parenting has to be a dual approach...the good guy/bad guy combo. :)

I am the good one.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phantom » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:53 am

I totally agreed with that. Need a white face and a black face. Unfortunately, I am often the bad guy. Father actually are closer to boys than mum are when it come to physical activities.

My son will always look for me when he want to play sports game like balls.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:15 am

Most kids look towards daddy for fun and mummy for comfort. Sorry guys, we are just a nice to have :lol: .

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:28 pm

Quite true, my son will want his mum to put him to sleep instead of me. He does not like me to put him to bed when his mum is there. Any idea if this is always true and how to change that?

phantom
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:03 pm

phantom wrote:Quite true, my son will want his mum to put him to sleep instead of me. He does not like me to put him to bed when his mum is there. Any idea if this is always true and how to change that?

I would say let well enough be. You weren't the one that carried him everywhere you went for 9 months. We can't change nature. If you have a girl, she will normally prefer daddy after a certain age because daddy tends to be much softer on her than on her brothers. She's his little princess after all!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby mintcc » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:25 pm

hee hee. my observation is that most kids prefer mummy because they know who take care of them most. Of course, this may not be the same for all guys.
Aside the 9 months of carrying the kid, daddies need to ask themselves:
1. Who bath, change cuddle the kid most of the time?
2. Who is there to play with kid , read stories, sing song most of the time?
3. Who feed baby, when they are younger, wake up to comfort baby when baby cried at night, most of the time?
4. Who knows what kid needs and meet their needs most of the time?

If the answer is mummy to most of the above then is there any wonder the kids look for mummy and most resources cater to mummy. I don't think that people think parenting is best left to mummy and daddy should just focus on earning his nuts and playing golf.

Some daddies can be very nuturing and take on their parenting roles with passion. Unfortunately, there are lots of daddies out there who are not and mummies are stuck doing most of it.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby super_dad » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:59 pm

But daddy does the most important function....buy sweets.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phantom » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:41 pm

I do carry them and help change diapers when my son is a baby. Well my wife forbid me buying sweets for my son, but she buy goodies for him. Maybe that's why he is closer to my wife

phantom
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:53 pm

phantom wrote:I do carry them and help change diapers when my son is a baby. Well my wife forbid me buying sweets for my son, but she buy goodies for him. Maybe that's why he is closer to my wife

Wah lao... like that you lugi. Do all the work and yet still lose to your wife. Time to resort to bribery to change the balance! :D

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recess Time