Primary ONE English Assignment

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Can a P1 Student be reasonably expect to complete this assignment WITHOUT external help?

Yes
16%
No
16%
Yes, If the kid has been attending enrichment/tuition classes all along.
14%
No, even if the kid has been attending enrichment/tuition classes all along.
9%
Yes, if the kid has been taught by his parents/family all along
38%
No, even if the kid has been taught by his parents/family all along
8%

Total votes : 80

Primary ONE English Assignment

Postby limlim » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Dear parents,

Just to gather some input/feedback on this.

In your opinion, can a P1 Student, without any external help/assistance (tutors/parents etc.. ), be reasonably expected to complete this assignment on his/her own.

I am very curious.. because, personally, I wondered if I can even do this field report in Sec 1, with proper Introduction and Conclusion. Maybe my English is lousy.. I admit..

Introduction : What is the meaning of "introduction"? Can a P1 student understand the meaning of introduction?

Not to mention, how to even complete the introduction.

Conclusion : What is the meaning of "Conclusion"? Can a P1 student understand the meaning of Conclusion?

Not to mention, how to even complete the Conclusion.

Please, share with me, is kids nowadays so Advanced? I must have lost touch. I wondered if what my kids learnt in K2 is anything remotely close to this..

Thanks.
Last edited by limlim on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Primary ONE English Assignment

Postby jedamum » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:52 pm

if the teachers have done with the class an exercise of the above, then the student should be able to manage. Don't expect to get an A grade though if the teacher is marking based on comparison with classmates who have external help although a very gifted kid or those with good english foundation will have no problem.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby limlim » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Primary ONE?

Am I the isolated case if I say I am shocked?

If the kid stare at the paper and write nothing..

Is it an isolated case?

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:03 pm

jedamum wrote:if the teachers have done with the class an exercise of the above, then the student should be able to manage. Don't expect to get an A grade though if the teacher is marking based on comparison with classmates who have external help although a very gifted kid or those with good english foundation will have no problem.

We cannot expect this with the general population right..

I am really worried now.. coz, I doubt I can do a proper report like this in P6 in the past..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:06 pm

To consider all possible [major] scenarios, may I suggest that you add option 5) Yes, if the kid has been taught by his parents/family all along and option 6) No, even if the kid is taught by his parents/family all along.

Parents are the primary provider of knowledge to young children; can't under-estimate that. Agree?

Edit: In addition, this survey will be more accurate if you are specific about which period in the P1 calendar you're interested in. For P1's, especially for those with strong parental support, their progress between both ends of the calendar year can be quantum leaps.
Last edited by iRabbit on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:18 pm

You can consider it as option 1.

If the kids can do, means can do, and it must have come from 5 isn't it? Just wonder how many % of kids nowadays is in option 1 or 5.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:26 pm

limlim wrote:You can consider it as option 1.

If the kids can do, means can do, and it must have come from 5 isn't it? Just wonder how many % of kids nowadays is in option 1 or 5.

I know it is option 2 for my kids straightaway.
In fact, I will hyperventilate if I see such assignment given to my kid...don't say p1, even p3 will not be able to do so. Since son was in p4, the whole family has been very involved with his projects...from coloring, cutting, pasting, designing and building Pulau Ubin. Not bcos he has tuition...but there was a lot of hw for all subjects due the next day.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:31 pm

limlim wrote:You can consider it as option 1.

Nope, to me they're not really the same. By lumping option 1) and 5) together, you've missed some data points.

By then again, it's your survey. :xedfingers:

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:35 pm

I didn't want to comment as I do not have a child in primary level.

But going by sheer common sense, I am inclined to agree with FQW's suggestion and rationale.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby limlim » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:36 pm

One thing I had to mention is, the school expects parents to be involved. This is explicit.

Just in case someone may say that I did not present the whole truth.

However, we have to consider that not all parents are capable or available to teach the kids.

In this case, it is fair to give an assignment where external help is "mandatory"?

Can't the school just test what they teach or can teach..?

Also, even if I am expected to help.. how do I explain the concept of introduction and conclusion to the young kids.... I am also quite stuck as to how to complete the field report..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time