Monthly Chit Chat Session

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Monthly Chit Chat Session

Postby Darling_Maine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi, I am new here! However I am not new to parenting forum.
Just a suggestion, which might posted some interest to all.

Would anyone be interested to start & participate in a monthly Chit Chat session? It is like a chit chatting corner for mummies & daddies to get-together while working or at home. Any topics can be shared, or even just to venting out some frustration.
The thread will be updated every monthly and since June is coming to an end, we can start the July thread!

Welcome all suggestive & ideas!

:D

Darling_Maine
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MLR » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:00 pm

:? how would it be different from what is being chit chatted/ing here now?

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Darling_Maine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:10 pm

MLR wrote::? how would it be different from what is being chit chatted/ing here now?

hmm...first of all a thread must be set up, something like "June Chit Chat Session", so interested parties can always go into that thread to chit chat with other members. It's operates something like MSN...
For other thread, you will only be discussing about this particular topics.
While in the chit chat session, anything goes...even just to complain that you are having a headache or stress at work!

It's just my suggestion and experience at other forum...

Darling_Maine
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mintcc » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:10 pm

that sounds interesting? So this is a chit chat with no specific topic? :?

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:23 pm

mincy wrote:that sounds interesting? So this is a chit chat with no specific topic? :?

some other forums do practice such. but i think we are already using the "My thoughts" thingy to 'communicate' our thoughts. :)
not sure how a chit chat thread will fare in this platform cos unlike other forums, kiasu parents will be too busy viewing in the P1 registration thread and other threads (in their limited time) to chat around. :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby buds hubs » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:49 am

jedamum wrote:i think we are already using the "My thoughts" thingy to 'communicate' our thoughts

Yupp!!.. I agree with you mighty jedi. :salute:

However, Darline Maine...Its not a bad suggestion but as jedamum has mentioned, I dont know whether a "MSN" like chit chat would be well received by the KSP community. :roll:

No harm trying though.. Just need to see who is logged on to chat with lah!! :celebrate:

BTW: :welcome: to KSP!

buds hubs
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:59 am

buds hubs wrote:No harm trying though.. Just need to see who is logged on to chat with lah!! :celebrate:

Is this slowly becoming the Chat thread instead?? :?

my thoughts are...
- what if the chat contents spiral out of control? with such chat, forummer usually type and send in 'real time'. the risk of running into argument can be high as it is difficult to intepret real intent based solely on reading a few lines. (the 'thoughts' thingy has no edit button, so i suppose think-then-write practice is probably exercised by most users)
- it is very easy to 'clock' no. of posts using such Chat system. instead of consolidating replies into one, the 'real time' interaction requires participants to reply a one liner answer to keep abreast of the discussion
- what if the discussion involves experiences of schools? isn't it more appropriate to 'chat' (ie give comments) at the respective threads? (the same goes to if the discussion involves relationship :evil: issues, rants on ILs, makan places, what's for lunch etc.

I personally like the ''thoughts' thingy - has KSP forum's 'flavour'.

JMHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby buds hubs » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:06 am

jedamum wrote:I personally like the ''thoughts' thingy - has KSP forum's 'flavour'.

Personally. I like the "thoughts" thingy too.. thats why I dont MSN. :wink:

buds hubs
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Monthly Chit Chat Session

Postby jedamum » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:03 am

Any topics can be shared, or even just to venting out some frustration.

just want to add...

1. topics relating to existing topics are preferred to be shared at the respective thread. essential information may be lost at 'casual chit chat' threads that could have been useful to other members of the community.

2. there is a 'Chit Chat' section. members are welcome to post any on related stuff at the related thread.

3. 'casual chit chat' session may encourage newbies to treat it as a Q&A section and post all sorts of questions without first running a search.

4. can't find any suitable topic but still feel like ranting? i personally find that the Newbie's 'loft' (ie own's self intro thread) and the 'Clubs' (ie WWW club, Northlanders Club, Eastenders Club) are great place to 'connect' with parents (you don't have to be a WWW to yee-ha with the WWW parents :wink: )

mincy wrote:that sounds interesting? So this is a chit chat with no specific topic? :?

yes...instead of consolidating replies into one, as it is 'real-time', you get to do :celebrate: and :( and :rahrah: and :politebleah: and :roll: and :| and :P and :snooze: and post it separately (ie 8 posts) together with my above post (post separately the total of 7 subpoints) and clock a total of 15 posts in less than an hour. multiply that by 2 hours a day spent on 'chatting' multiply by 30 days a month; everyone gets to clock 900 posts in 1 month (ie 15x2x30) that is of no future reference value.

there are already a few such chatting 'platform' in other parenting forums and i personally dont see the need to follow suit. feel free to contradict. :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Just my thoughts...

Postby buds » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:10 am

I like how it is now in KSP. :love:

The MY THOUGHTS functions like the
"Twitter" feature.... which we sometimes
use for impromptu chats too, and it does
not in any way disrupt any particular
threads formed up in the first place.

Many users like myself, joined in KSP
after much browsing and lurking and
silent navigating until we signed up
eventually, thanks to the organized
features which are extremely user
friendly for even an-unsavvy SAHM
like moi. It's hard to resist joining in.

KSP is not rated Top 50 in Digital Life
ranks for nothing... highly organized,
though we all chat about anything
and everything under the sun. 8)

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time