PR Not economically active

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby phtthp » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:45 am

SINGAPORE, July 27

Immigration statistics revealed by the Government for the first time showed that, between 2007 and last year, the majority of those granted citizenship and permanent residence were Not economically active — with the number of dependents outstripping working individuals.

During this period, there were 259,040 new permanent residents (PRs) and 92,310 new citizens. Working individuals accounted for 48 per cent of the new PRs and 38 per cent of the new citizens.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/worl ... qualified/

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: 2012 P1 Registration Exercise for 2013 In-Take

Postby usa-sing-1 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:27 am

phtthp wrote:SINGAPORE, July 27

Immigration statistics revealed by the Government for the first time showed that, between 2007 and last year, the majority of those granted citizenship and permanent residence were Not economically active — with the number of dependents outstripping working individuals.

During this period, there were 259,040 new permanent residents (PRs) and 92,310 new citizens. Working individuals accounted for 48 per cent of the new PRs and 38 per cent of the new citizens.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/worl ... qualified/

It goes on to explain...

On these statistics, population experts noted the increasing number of Singaporeans marrying foreigners and reiterated that their spouse or children should be granted PR or citizenship.

National University of Singapore sociologist Paulin Straughan told TODAY: “Of course, we should grant them PR and citizenship status as the dependents also supplement the population growth. If we don’t do that, Singapore will no longer be family-oriented and no one will want to come here. Singaporeans who marry a foreign spouse will also move out, further impacting the slow population growth that we are already facing.”

usa-sing-1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: PR Not economically active

Postby zarahsmom » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:31 pm

I am a Permanent Resident
1. my mother have breast cancer
2. my father is here to help me to take care of my mother and daughter
3. my daughter - 6 years old

100% of my salary is spent within Singapore. It creates jobs for your doctors, teachers, grocery stores, cable TV operators, house owners. We pay for public utilities here...

I do not need a maid to support my family as we are all self sufficient. Our neighbors are happy to see us around as my mother promotes gardening in the neighborhood.. my daughter plays with kids in the playground as a normal kid would..

So what is the difference between a PR supporting a non-working family member and a citizen supporting a maid? as far as productivity is concerned? (not that am treating my parents as maids-- we all share in household work)...

I do not know why this thread is in KS forum...at all what's your point?

zarahsmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:21 pm

This should be the case right?

Gov want to increase population, so PR and Citizenship will be granted to more of those who are already a family unit instead of singles. And with family units, there's bound to be dependants.

I see nothing wrong with that. These people are raising a family here so their level of motivation to obtain PR or citizenship is higher and most probably they will be more committed to remain as one as well.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Re: 2012 P1 Registration Exercise for 2013 In-Take

Postby mamago » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:47 pm

usa-sing-1 wrote:It goes on to explain...

On these statistics, population experts noted the increasing number of Singaporeans marrying foreigners and reiterated that their spouse or children should be granted PR or citizenship.

National University of Singapore sociologist Paulin Straughan told TODAY: “Of course, we should grant them PR and citizenship status as the dependents also supplement the population growth. If we don’t do that, Singapore will no longer be family-oriented and no one will want to come here. Singaporeans who marry a foreign spouse will also move out, further impacting the slow population growth that we are already facing.”

:goodpost:

mamago
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mamago » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:54 pm

zarahsmom wrote:I am a Permanent Resident

100% of my salary is spent within Singapore. It creates jobs for your doctors, teachers, grocery stores, cable TV operators, house owners. We pay for public utilities here...

I do not need a maid to support my family as we are all self sufficient. Our neighbors are happy to see us around as my mother promotes gardening in the neighborhood.. my daughter plays with kids in the playground as a normal kid would..

So what is the difference between a PR supporting a non-working family member and a citizen supporting a maid? as far as productivity is concerned? (not that am treating my parents as maids-- we all share in household work)...

:goodpost: :goodpost:
:grphug:

mamago
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mamago » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Funz wrote:This should be the case right?

Gov want to increase population, so PR and Citizenship will be granted to more of those who are already a family unit instead of singles. And with family units, there's bound to be dependants.

I see nothing wrong with that. These people are raising a family here so their level of motivation to obtain PR or citizenship is higher and most probably they will be more committed to remain as one as well.

:goodpost: :salute:

mamago
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:38 pm

zarahsmom wrote:I am a Permanent Resident

Just ignore the knee-jerk xenophobes.

They forget that there are humans behind all the labelling and name calling.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby friendship » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:42 pm

posted in July 2012 why dig out if disagree?
friendship
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Recess Time