When to replace water bottle

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

When to replace water bottle

Postby emerald » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:35 pm

After using my nalgene water bottle (still in good condition) for more than a year, wonder if it's time to change to a new one for health reasons.

Anyone can advise the right time to replace one's water bottle? :smile:

TIA.

emerald
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: When to replace water bottle

Postby Melodies » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:53 pm

I don't have such good problem because there is a renewable process in place by default! My girl will lose her water bottle every other month in school. :laugh:
Melodies
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mawar » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:37 am

mummy of three wrote:
Melodies wrote:I don't have such good problem because there is a renewable process in place by default! My girl will lose her water bottle every other month in school. :laugh:

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: I was about to type that but you beat me to it. In our case, maybe every 6 months ? If your child misplaced it in school, pay a visit to the General Office. Maybe they are piling up in the Lost & Found. Remember to label new bottles.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby glendt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:05 pm

I change every once a year, new year, new bottle. So far, this seems ok.

glendt
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby peapot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Mawar wrote:
mummy of three wrote:
Melodies wrote:I don't have such good problem because there is a renewable process in place by default! My girl will lose her water bottle every other month in school. :laugh:

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: I was about to type that but you beat me to it. In our case, maybe every 6 months ? If your child misplaced it in school, pay a visit to the General Office. Maybe they are piling up in the Lost & Found. Remember to label new bottles.

OMG! My gal also loose her bottle all the time. Longest time holding onto the same bottle is 3 mOnths. She is 9, who can beat that?

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thetinyseed » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:57 am

OMG! My gal also loose her bottle all the time. Longest time holding onto the same bottle is 3 mOnths. She is 9, who can beat that?[/quote]

My boy in P1 lost his Chinese text book in week 1 of term 1; lost his wallet in week 5, term 1, and his water bottle in week 6! Now, I am just happy he comes back home in one piece!

As far as I can remember, my nephew is still using his nalgene water bottle for the past 4 years! Is it really necessary to change every year, even if the bottle is still in reasonably good condition?

thetinyseed
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby catherineleesg » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:14 am

hi
i change them every 6mths - same as milk bottles.

catherineleesg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby geksim » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 pm

doesn't it stink? i give my kids the ice mountain bottle with a strap, can change every week :lol:

geksim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby thetinyseed » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 am

geksim wrote:doesn't it stink? i give my kids the ice mountain bottle with a strap, can change every week :lol:

No stink from my nephew's bottle. I guess if you wash it properly... Nalgene bottles have big necks, can wash more thoroughly, i guess.

thetinyseed
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ammonite » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:12 am

Don't use disposable bottles for too long as the harmful chemicals leach out more easily and don't leave them out in the sun.

My son also loses his water bottles regularly - and finds them back regularly, haha - so I have three water bottles at home. Generally buy either stainless steel or BPA- free plastic bottles. Wash and dry thoroughly every day to prevent mould from growing inside the bottle, around the grooves, and in the plastic lining. I will discard the moment there is mould that cannot be scrubbed out.

I also avoid those with straws as they cannot be cleaned thoroughly and there will definitely be a bad mouldy stale smell in a short time, especially if the water bottles are left in hot places (fields, hot school buses, playground). Once in a while soak thoroughly with detergent and if the bottles can withstand it, scald with hot water.

Agree with tinyseed that big necks are preferable for a thorough hard scrub.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time