Homestay Host

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Homestay Host

Postby Full.Cream » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:52 am

Apparently the school will be having some foreign exchange students and they were looking for family who can play host to a kid for a weekend.

This is quite interesting although it'll kind of mess up the routine weekend activities.

Just like to find out what kind of activities would you organise for the foreign exchange kid other than the usual tourist attractions which I think the school will be bringing them to? :scratchhead:

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Homestay Host

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:25 am

Which country are they from?

Postby Full.Cream » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 am

Think it's from Japan. But I think they already assigned. Nonetheless, good to consider and prepare if there should be another group.

Noone ever hosted foreign student for short stay (< 1wk)?

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:48 am

Hmm Japan...then maybe kite flying is not new to them.

Neverthelss, I know foreigners do enjoy kite flying especially in the night.
I understand that they light up the kites to fly in the night. Maybe you want to check that out.

Suggest a picnic at 6 plus to watch the sunset at Marina Barrage and then fly the kite before sunset without the lights and after with the lights. It should be memorable enough.

Another fun activity is prawning at Bishan, then can eat 'zhi char' food at the same place.

If you can find a pasar malam at the time they visit(sometimes they have it Toa Payoh hub, it should be fun for them to see one) or go to Bugis village to show them what teenagers love in Bugis village.

Postby LOLMum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:52 am

you can buddy up with another host to take turn bringing the 2 kis out. It would also be more fun for the 2 kids :smile:

Night safari is good. Sentosa or Paula Ubin also good. Kampong gLam n haji lane can be quite fun. Science centre.

I try not to take them to museum... :smile:

It all depends on the age of the kids.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:06 am

Recently we hosted 2 Korean boys at my parents-in-law's place.

The school has already planned the activities for the weekends. We merely provided a roof over their heads, a dinner and 2 breakfasts.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peapot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:46 pm

Wow! If 2 kids still not so bad. If 6 kids headaches for a few days with meal provided. To start off, planning the menu would be the first headache.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:37 am

Japanese like seafood, used to bring them for all sorts of crab - :laugh: (this sounds funny after it came out).

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:54 am

concern2 wrote:Japanese like seafood, used to bring them for all sorts of crab - :laugh: (this sounds funny after it came out).

Our seafood freshness level cant compare to theirs.

What we did was to "showcase" our usual food fare - DIY braised pork belly with steam bun n DIY popiah for a dinner, western style breakfast n roti prata n kaya toast with half boiled eggs breakfast

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:36 am

Jennifer wrote:
concern2 wrote:Japanese like seafood, used to bring them for all sorts of crab - :laugh: (this sounds funny after it came out).

Our seafood freshness level cant compare to theirs.

What we did was to "showcase" our usual food fare - DIY braised pork belly with steam bun n DIY popiah for a dinner, western style breakfast n roti prata n kaya toast with half boiled eggs breakfast

Not sure if things has changed after so many years, but their seafood is different from ours, and so is the way the food is prepared.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time