the problem

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

the problem

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:13 am

国庆记录片翻译错误多 《那些年》重新录制

国庆纪录片《那些年,我们为国宣誓》华语版,播映的一个小时内出现10个翻译错误,新传媒表示,将重新剪辑录制,下星期一重播。

《联合晚报》日前独家报道,为配合国庆播映的英语纪录片《那些年,我们为国宣誓》的华语版,7月28日晚在新传媒8频道播出时,1小时内出现10个翻译乌龙。

其中,比较离谱的错误包括,把已故前副总理拉惹勒南的名字,念成“那拉姆”、副总理张志贤名字念成“张志献”、组屋译成“国宅”、中学译成“国中”,以及国民服役人员译变“国民兵”等。

完整报道,请翻阅02.08.2012《联合晚报》。

http://news.omy.sg/News/Local%2BNews/St ... 53467.html

the problem lies with the translator who has not lived in Singapore until now

why the media corpse never learn from the STB's famous Hungary Ghost Festival ?
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: the problem

Postby fightingmom » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:20 am

The problem should be : why was the translator chosen to do the job since he/she has not been staying in Singapore till now ?? :slapshead:

And also how come they never proof read first :slapshead: especially when they know it is going to be aired on tv for everyone to see ! :slapshead:

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:56 am

fightingmom wrote:The problem should be : why was the translator chosen to do the job since he/she has not been staying in Singapore till now ?? :slapshead:

And also how come they never proof read first :slapshead: especially when they know it is going to be aired on tv for everyone to see ! :slapshead:

okay that part translator has not been living in singapore till now is my conjecture as the terms used by the translator seem so obvious is a new immigrant with no knowledge of local history or local terms

but the proof read part - may be they proof read so many times by the kantang true blue singaporean whose CL standard could be half past six .... makes matter worse .. blind leading the blind kind of thing ...
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fightingmom » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:03 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
fightingmom wrote:The problem should be : why was the translator chosen to do the job since he/she has not been staying in Singapore till now ?? :slapshead:

okay that part translator has not been living in singapore till now is my conjecture as the terms used by the translator seem so obvious is a new immigrant with no knowledge of local history or local terms

but the proof read part - may be they proof read so many times by the kantang true blue singaporean whose CL standard could be half past six .... makes matter worse .. blind leading the blind kind of thing ...

:idea: maybe they use google to do the direct translation ! :laugh:

Well , it's a honest mistake again !

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sandunes » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:47 am

Because the person who did the proof read is also a new citizen?

sandunes
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:57 am

It is true that not only language, a translator needs to know the culture or subject matter or at least have research skills as well.

I used to do translation on political papers and it touched on history. So I did research at the same time while translating, not just direct translation of the language. When I read my translated version it has to make sense.

And with our kids learning higher Chinese these days and so many SAP schools, it should not be so tough to get a local bilingual translator right? :?

Postby bebebub » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:09 am

ksi wrote:It is true that not only language, a translator needs to know the culture or subject matter or at least have research skills as well.

I used to do translation on political papers and it touched on history. So I did research at the same time while translating, not just direct translation of the language. When I read my translated version it has to make sense.

And with our kids learning higher Chinese these days and so many SAP schools, it should not be so tough to get a local bilingual translator right? :?

Can get...... but more expensive lor :duck: :siam:

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fightingmom » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:19 am

ksi wrote:It is true that not only language, a translator needs to know the culture or subject matter or at least have research skills as well.

That's also my thoughts too. :?

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:52 am

what happened to hungry ghosts?
:scratchhead:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:25 am

Nebbermind wrote:what happened to hungry ghosts?
:scratchhead:

The Hungry Ghosts Festival was translated into Chinese to mean HUNGARY (as in the country) Ghost Festival - 匈牙利鬼节。 :laugh: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time