Getting Dr's certification letter (Polyclinic)

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Getting Dr's certification letter (Polyclinic)

Postby PhoBIA » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:08 am

In our children's preschool years, parents probably has gone through the following scenario at least once.

Send kids to school happily to school.
Drove off but receive call from school to fetch child home as ulcers are found.
Brings child to see doctor.
Quarantined until HFMD is cleared.
But to our horror :yikes: , doctor says there's no medicine for our darlings. Just have to make sure they stay hydrated.
After HFMD completely clears, returns to doctor for certification to return to school.

If you have more than 1 child, both get quarantined. :faint:
It sure is difficult to keep active toddlers at home...

Given the above scenario, most people will go to the Polyclinic to get the certification letter eventually.

My experience with getting the clearance certification at the Polyclinic was unpleasant. I was placed in a normal queue and waited for more than an hour. :stompfeet:

I wonder why the polyclinic does not fine tune the process. These group of parents and children are kept waiting in the same queue. As they do not need extensive consultation, wouldn't it be nice if Polyclinic creates another express queue for this group of parents. Preschoolers are young and more suspectible to germs/virus. Any extra moment in the Polyclinic means exposure to more germs/virus.

The reason I'm not going to a GP or padietrician..... Why should I pay so much :moneyflies: since there's no cure for HFMD?

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Getting Dr's certification letter (Polyclinic)

Postby 3Boys » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:14 am

PhoBIA wrote:I wonder why the polyclinic does not fine tune the process. These group of parents and children are kept waiting in the same queue. As they do not need extensive consultation, wouldn't it be nice if Polyclinic creates another express queue for this group of parents. Preschoolers are young and more suspectible to germs/virus. Any extra moment in the Polyclinic means exposure to more germs/virus.

Everyone going to the polyclinic has a reason why they should be seen first. Need to go to work lah, need to fetch kids from school lah, medical emergency lah.

Separate queues for each of these categories perhaps?

But I agree the schools requirement for certification is actually quite silly and useless. But parents need to understand this and bear the occasional risk that a HFMD child will slip through. Risk/Benefit, we all need to share in it.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PhoBIA » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:23 am

3Boys wrote:But I agree the schools requirement for certification is actually quite silly and useless. But parents need to understand this and bear the occasional risk that a HFMD child will slip through. Risk/Benefit, we all need to share in it.

Why would any parents still send the child to school if the child has not fully recovered? A child who has just recovered is weaker and more prone to catching other virus.

Most preschools are very strict in their checks in the morning. Any suspect case are put on observation. If they don't pass the 2nd check, they are sent home. That would mean you have seen the doctor. But after you child recovers, still have to see the doctor.. It's really a hassle!
Waste :moneyflies: and time. If only all parents are civic minded, then schools do not have to resort to this method which inconveniences all parents.

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby limlim » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:58 pm

PhoBIA wrote:Why would any parents still send the child to school if the child has not fully recovered? A child who has just recovered is weaker and more prone to catching other virus.

The parent is not a certified medical practitioner.

And so is not qualified to judge if the kid has "fully recovered" (non-contagious) or not.

A parent may not "want" to send the kids to school if the kid has not fully recovered.

But the parent could make a wrong judgement.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Minstral » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:07 pm

There's a shortage of doctors and always many patients regardless of the time of the day. Every patients' time is precious in their own ways. If there is an express queue for one type of sickness, patients with other sicknesses will complain. What to do. If you want to save money, you'll have to wait in line. When my child had HFMD, I waited in line too like everyone else. What polyclinics need is more doctors and a more efficient queue system for everyone, not more queues.

Minstral
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:38 am

PhoBIA wrote:
Why would any parents still send the child to school if the child has not fully recovered? A child who has just recovered is weaker and more prone to catching other virus.

Coz some parents taking a few days leave may cost them their job. Or they could not get approval from boss, or they have too much work in hand....etc...
Not everyone think the same way u do....

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby carebear » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:37 am

PhoBIA wrote:Given the above scenario, most people will go to the Polyclinic to get the certification letter eventually.

My experience with getting the clearance certification at the Polyclinic was unpleasant. I was placed in a normal queue and waited for more than an hour. :stompfeet:

The reason I'm not going to a GP or padietrician..... Why should I pay so much :moneyflies: since there's no cure for HFMD?

Don't want to pay, then have to wait lah!
Polyclinic is for the masses.
Can't expect first class service at a subsidized rate.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Gems » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Polyclinic is like that, have to at least spend 3 hours there. Take number wait, see doctor wait, pay fees wait even longer, take medicine wait.

There is however exception. My child was found with one ulcer on the gum. Sent child to school and school called. My child told teacher he bit his lip accidentally during dinner. Teacher called me and I confirmed that but she still insisted to bring child to doctor as "discipline master very good in seeing HFMD" :stompfeet:

ok, i rushed to school, fetched my child and wanted to go GP nearby to get letter to save time. He will not be allowed to take the maths exam if no letter. At GP, staff told me write letter only also have to queue and it was very crowded then. I change my mind, took a cab to the nearest polyclinic. Told nurses there what happened and they checked and said the school was #XX@. Nurse can't issue letter but got doctor to write for me. All in at polyclinic, I only spent 20mins.

My child went back to school just in time for the maths exam. He was stressed and I paid for 2 trips taxi fare, polyclinic fees and my 2 trips bus fare to/fro sch all for nothing!

Gems
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Recess Time