Postby Ran1977 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:03 pm

I agree with the header:
Working like dogs: 98% of Singapore employees work overtime

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Working like dogs: 98% of Singapore employees work overt

Postby Joule » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:54 pm

no wonder a Chinaman commented that "there are more dogs than humans in Singapore"

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby keroppi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Joule wrote:no wonder a Chinaman commented that "there are more dogs than humans in Singapore"

Ha ha ... good one :rotflmao:

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Eh? I thought we have many civil service people in all the gahmen dept, they work overtime too? I thought counter closed all could go home Liao?? 98% a bit exaggerating leh... Zhun bo? :?

How is OT defined? Some ppl take long lunch then work late. Some ppl surf net(not talking about Kiasparents ah) then work late. Some people want to avoid the nasty traffic jam then work late. Lidat can call them dogs meh? By choice right? I thought that is working the way that suits them best? As long as effective, they are clever dogs leh. Of course not effective it is another story but it is not real OT, it is their preferred work model. Correct or not?

Postby bebe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:39 am

I think the survey is meant for finance pple? If that is the case, I believe that > 90% do work OT..

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:26 am

Some company's "culture" is like that: Everyone are expected to stay at least more than working hours. If you happen to leave on the dot, everyone will look at you like an "alien" and start talking behind the back.

Some bosses expect the staff to stay back although reach office on time. Boss himself/herself get to comes in late but yet expect the staff to follow to stay late.

Some bosses also expect you to work OT everyday. Last minute throw workload out, at least few minutes before time to go home and expect you to finish end of the day?

Ever met such company/boss before? Really can faint. Not only applicable in finance, but also other sector.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:32 am

The worst thing is NO OT PAY, even when you are expect to do OT everyday. :frustrated:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Edureach » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:48 pm

My bro who is working for the canada's national telecom co has been informed not to work past 6pm and 5.30pm during spring to autumn period and winter respectively. Once he past these period, he was told not to spoilt the market.

My personal opinion, an employee shld not clock past 10 hrs per day unless its an emergency or to fufill orders during peak period. The latter should be for abnormal circumstances or for short duration. Really not worth it especially if you are not a member of senior management.

If you are working under such condition almost everyday, go and search for another employer. Alternatively, explore sales or other outdoor customer services. Especially if yr job scope relates directly to the top or bottom line, you need not clock such hrs uneccessary.

Your health is more important than yr career.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby concern2 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:07 pm

I know of many who are working like dogs, don't get OT, and not surprisingly, still single. :shrug:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time