Why no paid childcare leave for parents of non-citizen child

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Why no paid childcare leave for parents of non-citizen child

Postby xiaostar » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:19 am

Why no paid childcare leave for parents of non-citizen children?
From Alex Ruiz de la Cuesta 04:46 AM Aug 30, 2012

Mr Eugene K B Tan's commentary "A timely look at those 'other' issues" (Aug 28) refers to the National Day Rally and exhorts Singaporeans to consider that their attitudes towards non-Singaporeans may lead to discrimination.

At a time when parental leave is being discussed, I find it discriminatory that parents of a citizen child under the age of seven get six days of paid childcare leave per year but not so for parents of a non-citizen child.

Is the aim of the policy to encourage Singaporeans to have more children, while disregarding non-Singaporeans because their offspring is of no value to the country?

Do the latter not partake of the Singapore culture and lifestyle?

Are they not raised in the same environments and schools as citizen children, and do none of them become Singaporeans later?

Are the sons of permanent residents not required to do National Service?

In no other country have I observed such a practice and I wonder how much it contributes to the integration our leaders speak so much of.

from http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC12 ... n-children

If he is so upset, why doesn't he
(1) Apply for citizenship for his son (and maybe himself)?
(2) Don't apply PR for his son (or himself)?
(3) Go back to his home country where he will enjoy childcare leave as a citizen?
(4) Move to a country which doesn't discriminate against PRs?

If his son is PR, he can always choose to give up his PR and not do NS. Singaporeans don't have this option. That's why we have the privilege of childcare leave.

Any thoughts?

xiaostar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Why no paid childcare leave for parents of non-citizen c

Postby himmel » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:13 am

If a person wants to enjoy all benefits of a Singaporean, then be a Citizen.

himmel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby keroppi » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:28 am

My SC kids also didn't get to enjoy all these childcare leave (overaged liao) and we also managed to get by with all our annual leaves.

Since the purpose is to get more Singaporeans to procreate, don't see why it should be extended to non-Singaporean children (leave is not free, someone has to pay for it).

I know it's sure a good benefit to have but hey, this is life. But then why only up to 6? For me, I think it would be great if the childcare leave for SC kids can be extended to 12 years old though. Again, I won't stand to gain from this but I think it's good for the other Primary school going parents. Aiyah, OT liao :)

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby CookiesMonster » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:48 am

As we say "want cheap want good" where to find?

Cannot take it than balik kampung lor. Tok so much for what? If their own country so good then come here for what?

I hv frens converting to SC bcos they did weigh the pros n cons. So, those who want the best of both worlds cannot think is it our fault??

CookiesMonster
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pinky » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:19 pm

this has got nothing to do with integration but a 'they-have-but-why-I don't'
self centred complaint everytime our govt gives out some goodies to us. :stompfeet:
Hope our govt will not give in to such unreasonable demands.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time