chs openly solicits teachers' day presents from parents

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

chs openly solicits teachers' day presents from parents

Postby LOLMum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:57 pm

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/08/24/ca ... m-parents/

August 24th, 2012 | Author: Editorial

The Catholic High School (CHS) is openly soliciting for “gifts and presents” from the parents of its students, to “touch the teacher’s life”, in its coming Teachers’ Day Celebration.

According to the CHS memo which was forwarded to TR Emeritus (TRE) by a parent, the event is organized by CHS Management Committee, CHS Alumni and the Parent Support Group (PSG).

The memo wrote that the PSG Exco is appealing to parents who would like to show their heartfelt gratitute to contribute a present to this event, and listed the ’proposed’ presents as ”shopping vouchers, dining vouchers, current digital gadgets or home appliance, tour packages, etc”.

Parents are asked to deposit the gifts into a box at the Primary or Secondary School’s General office by 27th August 2012.

The memo also listed the contact person for parents with enquiries as Bee Yen (Primary) and Winy Quek (Secondary).

Commenting on the memo as a parent, John said:

Teachers are well-paid, and have an iron-bowl career in the civil service. Just like politicians, they should not expect showers of material gifts as they are in the public service. It’s an honorable service, nonetheless, and doesn’t need to be compensated lavishly.

In my days, I simple gave flowers and candy. What has the school system turned into nowadays? Whose idea is it to disallow the students to give directly? What’s the danger behind that? Is there a 3rd party(event management) involved that is cashing in?

Is it just me that is appalled by this idea? Cruises, electronic toys, vouchers, etc? Is Singapore really trying to live up to being the richest city in the world?

In a follow-up email from the same parent received just 5 minutes ago, TRE learnt that many parents had complained and that the memo was withdrawn.

However, it is not known at this moment in time if the “gift receiving” was also withdrawn or merely the memo was.

Editor’s note: As far as TRE knows, students are not allowed to give presents to a certain specific teacher. By organizing a dinner and dance event and giving the presents away as gifts (say in a lucky draw), then it is not ‘wrong’.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:sweat: dont know if this is true.

i think cough drops, card or pens good enough already lah.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: chs openly solicits teachers' day presents from parents

Postby fightingmom » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:14 pm

:yikes: gosh ! I am shocked to hear that they openly asked for such material gifts!

The P of my dd school encourages the children to give hand made gifts to teachers if they want to show their appreciation. What I understand from my dd, most teachers received cards, home baked cookies , cakes, candies or handicrafts made by the students or their parents.

The upper primary students put up one skit , one dance and a song during the assembly before they return to their respective classes.

PSG will be doing something like a potluck session for all teachers next Monday to show our appreciation.

I believe all these gifts and appreciation are sincerely from the bottom of the children's and parents' hearts and it will touch the teachers' hearts , no ?
Last edited by fightingmom on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:21 pm

This memo is true and this practice has been on for years. I knew becos a friend with kids in CHS asked me about Teacher's Day gifts before. She showed me the memo and asked if my kids' school requested for such gifts. In fact, I knew of some of my kid's teachers who will only accept hand-made gifts from the kids.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:43 pm

That website is a great twister - twister of facts, and you guys fall for it and start slamming the school. PLEASE go read the website carefully :

Quote : "the event is organized by CHS Management Committee, CHS Alumni and the Parent Support Group (PSG).

The memo wrote that the PSG Exco is appealing to parents who would like to show their heartfelt gratitute to contribute a present to this event, and listed the ’proposed’ presents as ”shopping vouchers, dining vouchers, current digital gadgets or home appliance, tour packages, etc”. "

Is this organised by the school ? Is the memo sent by the school ? Is it organised by the school ?

I don't understand why people can be so twisted - both the website and the people who sent the info to the website!! If you buey song and don't want to contribute, so be it. Just don't bother lah, and for heaven's sake don't twist the facts! CHS is not cheap skate like the website or the info provider
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:10 pm

The irony here is the ones who mooted the idea of the gifting at the D&D with sponsorship were the parents and the ones complaining were also the parents.

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:12 pm

ksi wrote:The irony here is the ones who mooted the idea of the gifting at the D&D with sponsorship were the parents and the ones complaining were also the parents.

and then blame the school! really sick .............they have all the freedom not to participate and no one would blame them nor victimise them
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:21 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
ksi wrote:The irony here is the ones who mooted the idea of the gifting at the D&D with sponsorship were the parents and the ones complaining were also the parents.

and then blame the school! really sick .............they have all the freedom not to participate and no one would blame them nor victimise them

This is a case of 鹬蚌相争渔翁受罪。。。。因为鹬蚌两败俱伤,素质减低.... :lol:

Postby LOLMum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:26 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:That website is a great twister - twister of facts, and you guys fall for it and start slamming the school. PLEASE go read the website carefully :

Did we slam the school? :? Don't think so.

Tnp also reported the story.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:29 pm

okay I take back my word "you guys"

thanks for pointing out. and thanks for starting this thread, LOLmum

the original post will not be edited. it will apply to those who don't read the website in details but just follow the website headline blindly and start all kinds of negative comments
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby meiah » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:30 pm

In my opinion, it's not a big deal at all. Don't want to give, then don't give. Not compulsory, not obligated. Can ignore. My two ds are in the sch, and when I receive such notices from the PSG, it's entirely up to me to give or not. What's there to complain?

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time