is this really necessary ??

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

is this really necessary ??

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:13 pm

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... m-20120831

By Robin Chan

Law Minister K. Shanmugam has floated an idea for some form of legal framework to deal with disputes between neighbours, as a “new way” of handling conduct that disturbed others.

In a Facebook posting on Friday, he said that tolerance of noisy neighbours and other behaviour is much lower now, but there is no “satisfactory legal solution” to dealing with such problems.

Most of the conduct is social nuisance rather than criminal, he noted, and police can take action only if it is criminal conduct. Also, going to the civil courts was “not really feasible either”.

“We need to consider new ways of dealing with conduct which is social nuisance,” he wrote. “We probably need a legal framework, which sets out what we should avoid doing when we live close to each other – because it unreasonably impacts on our neighbours - we need to develop new norms.”
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: is this really necessary ??

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:28 pm

For most cases trivial and a waste of everyone's time and money, those are not necessary. For those cases where neighbours get vindictive and stalk or disturb their neighbours to the extent of long-term torment, perhaps. So if he really wants to propose one, it has to be well-defined and not send our police out on wild goose chasing.

It boils down to effective education of good manners which we have not been very successful unfortunately so such measures have to be considered.

Postby schweppes » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:32 am

i'm always amazed that we need rules and campaigns to teach us to be nice... to be courteous... to give way... to say "please and thank u".... to remove your own trays... to flush toilets... to wash hands after we use toilets... :roll: :shock:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:40 am

come to think of it, maybe the rules and campaigns are necessary!! coz some people just dont know how to behave.

And being educated or less educated has got nothing to do with this. Used to know an ex-colleague (a Masters grad, no less) who never washes her hands after she uses the loo :sick: :sick: :yikes: :siam: My other female colleagues and I caught her a few times when we were in the ladies with her :sick:

Worse of all, she's quite a high flyer. Last I heard she's in the hospitality line :yikes: :faint: Used to tell my friends not to shake her hands if we do meet her. :sick:

so, yup!! maybe rules and campaigns are needed to educate those who are not even educated in basic hygiene!! :faint:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby peapot » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:50 am

Strange, why she don't wash her hands? Maybe she didn't pee, just went in to adjust her undergarment?? :evil:

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:32 am

peapot wrote:Strange, why she don't wash her hands? Maybe she didn't pee, just went in to adjust her undergarment?? :evil:

:idea: maybe did pee, but no undergarments so nothing to adjust :scared: :yikes:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Oppsgal » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:39 am

Need to pay fees for legal action taken against neighbour? How to know which floor neighbour make noise? What if the neighbour on the floor deny making noise? :shrug:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tutormum » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:08 pm

schweppes wrote:come to think of it, maybe the rules and campaigns are necessary!! coz some people just dont know how to behave.

And being educated or less educated has got nothing to do with this. Used to know an ex-colleague (a Masters grad, no less) who never washes her hands after she uses the loo :sick: :sick: :yikes: :siam: My other female colleagues and I caught her a few times when we were in the ladies with her :sick:

Worse of all, she's quite a high flyer. Last I heard she's in the hospitality line :yikes: :faint: Used to tell my friends not to shake her hands if we do meet her. :sick:

so, yup!! maybe rules and campaigns are needed to educate those who are not even educated in basic hygiene!! :faint:

I saw a well dressed lady, about twenty something on a train some time back. I observed her throughout the whole journey cos I was appalled by her behaviour. She kind of having a runny nose and kept using her hands to clean it - no tissue and though can't see any mucus, there definitely was some. She kept cleaning her nose and touching the handle bars of the door with her hands as if using them as tissue. :slapshead: :slapshead: I avoid holding onto any of the bars after that. :stompfeet: :stompfeet: On hind sight, I should have offered a tissue to give her a hint but I was too :yikes: :yikes: to do anything. :oops:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:21 pm

tutormum wrote:
schweppes wrote:come to think of it, maybe the rules and campaigns are necessary!! coz some people just dont know how to behave.

I saw a well dressed lady, about twenty something on a train some time back. I observed her throughout the whole journey cos I was appalled by her behaviour. She kind of having a runny nose and kept using her hands to clean it - no tissue and though can't see any mucus, there definitely was some. She kept cleaning her nose and touching the handle bars of the door with her hands as if using them as tissue. :slapshead: :slapshead: I avoid holding onto any of the bars after that. :stompfeet: :stompfeet: On hind sight, I should have offered a tissue to give her a hint but I was too :yikes: :yikes: to do anything. :oops:

similar thing happened to me over the weekend. But I was on the bus and this was an ah pek. :shock: Now we must bring hand sanitizers wherever we go. Hygiene wise, think everyone was more aware and the most well behaved during SARs days.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Oppsgal wrote:Need to pay fees for legal action taken against neighbour? How to know which floor neighbour make noise? What if the neighbour on the floor deny making noise? :shrug:

Can definitely tell if it's next door neighbour but harder to identify if it's a neighbour from another floor.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time