The article today in Sunday Tmes - Play or CRAM

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

The article today in Sunday Tmes - Play or CRAM

Postby Melodies » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:48 pm

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... m-20120902

Looks like Chenonceau was approached to give her view and wonder who is Dr. Pang in KSP? :cool:

We can continue our discussion here .....
Melodies
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:40 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: The article today in Sunday Tmes - Play or CRAM

Postby Lilac66 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:18 pm

just off the cuff thoughts.


I remember a letter to the forum about this parent who enrolled the child to a premium preschool that emphasizes play , no hw. But this parent realised that when her child enrolled to P1, he was not able to read like his peers. My question is-- does a child need any formal phonics course bef he's able to really decode words (not just recognising sight words).


I remember when my DS was young, I tried to introduce words by using Peter and Jane. But I notice he was recognising words only not decoding them. So I sent him for short phonics course (3 mths) and it did wonders.


Assuming the above parent did not proceed to do anything (tuition etc) but just continue with the pri school, how will these schools help? Will the LSP help them in reading what's needed in the P1 syllabus, or will they devise some phonics course for such children to pick up reading? Just wondering as I'm not familiar with this program. During my time, everything was done in school obviously.

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2716
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Total Likes: 21


Re: The article today in Sunday Tmes - Play or CRAM

Postby Melodies » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:42 pm

In my dd pri school, they don't teach phonics in P1 anymore and your have to know how to read for the oral exams. They are some kids who have difficulties in reading were asked to attend remedial class after school... Poor kids are still trying to catch up even at pri 3.

Same thing for han yu pin yin.

Who say pre-school education is not important! :razz:

Lilac66 wrote:just off the cuff thoughts.


I remember a letter to the forum about this parent who enrolled the child to a premium preschool that emphasizes play , no hw. But this parent realised that when her child enrolled to P1, he was not able to read like his peers. My question is-- does a child need any formal phonics course bef he's able to really decode words (not just recognising sight words).


I remember when my DS was young, I tried to introduce words by using Peter and Jane. But I notice he was recognising words only not decoding them. So I sent him for short phonics course (3 mths) and it did wonders.


Assuming the above parent did not proceed to do anything (tuition etc) but just continue with the pri school, how will these schools help? Will the LSP help them in reading what's needed in the P1 syllabus, or will they devise some phonics course for such children to pick up reading? Just wondering as I'm not familiar with this program. During my time, everything was done in school obviously.
Melodies
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:40 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: The article today in Sunday Tmes - Play or CRAM

Postby Brenda10 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Melodies wrote:In my dd pri school, they don't teach phonics in P1 anymore and your have to know how to read for the oral exams. They are some kids who have difficulties in reading were asked to attend remedial class after school... Poor kids are still trying to catch up even at pri 3.

Same thing for han yu pin yin.

Who say pre-school education is not important! :razz:




DD also learnt her HYPI and phonics during K2 (year 2005) before she entered in P1 (2006).

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5027
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm
Total Likes: 3


Re: The article today in Sunday Tmes - Play or CRAM

Postby Champion » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:09 pm

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 64&t=39691

I shared earlier on in the above thread about my 2 elder girls were not taught HYPY in kindergartens. I don't know about others but I were desperately seeking and fortunately able to find a centre that teach my DD1 HYPY in the 1st few months of her P1 (Y2009).

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8315
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:45 pm
Total Likes: 42



Re: The article today in Sunday Tmes - Play or CRAM

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Lilac66 wrote:just off the cuff thoughts.
My question is-- does a child need any formal phonics course bef he's able to really decode words (not just recognising sight words).

The answer is 'yes' to 'decode', but 'not necessarily' if you mean 'read'. Different kids learn to read differently, and even if phonics is not taught, kids can learn to read. In my day (in the 70s), phonics was not taught in kindys or in school. Everyone just 'learned to read', presumably by sight. There are kids who learn to read a lot faster if taught phonics, but it doesn't suit all. My older daughter read entirely by sight from the age of 4, and I only forced a bit of phonics on her around P2-P3 because I found her spelling atrocious even though she was considered an advanced reader. She was not taught any phonics in kindy or school either.

I can't answer the other questions about LSP as my kids weren't in Singapore school.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: The article today in Sunday Tmes - Play or CRAM

Postby zeemimi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:34 am

Champion wrote:http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=39691

I shared earlier on in the above thread about my 2 elder girls were not taught HYPY in kindergartens. I don't know about others but I were desperately seeking and fortunately able to find a centre that teach my DD1 HYPY in the 1st few months of her P1 (Y2009).


preschools are not allowed to teach HYPY. that was what my dd's preschool teacher told me last time. so the teacher ask me to teach her myself or send her to chinese enrichment so that she can have some hypy knowledge before going to P1.

today, a kid has to know at least how to read before going to p1. never mind if he can't do addition / subtraction / multiplication / chinese. all these can be picked up easily. but if the kid can't read, he'll have a hard time in P1.
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:31 pm
Total Likes: 44


Re: The article today in Sunday Tmes - Play or CRAM

Postby janet88 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:03 am

Daughter didn't learn hanyu pinyin at K2...she suffered greatly for 6 weeks in P1. This is one reason why there are many prep schools preparing kids for P1...this transition is not easy...bcos P1 is not extension do kindergarten. Phonics helps a great deal to help young kids spell and read. The concept of more than/less than is a 'killer' for some kids. It isnt straightforward as in add or minus.

Cramming is cruel but learning through play is not a solution. I'm glad MOE has stepped in to give a guideline on what kids going to P1s have to know. This way, hopefully the poor kids do not have to attend 2 kindergartens.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33735
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Re: The article today in Sunday Tmes - Play or CRAM

Postby thetinyseed » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:14 am

My kid, in P1 this year, did not learn HYPY in K2 either, but was taught when he entered P1. No problems with that. Neither was he taught phonics in K1 or K2. I had to do that, 4 months before he entered P1 when I realised he couldn't read.
In his school, weaker students with reading difficulties are placed under the LSP programme, where the teachers do teach phonics.
Actually, the whole idea of "play" is not unstructured play, and it does not mean the child is not learning the academics either. Structured play actually incorporates physical play with learning - reading, math, etc, but not in a pencil and paper way.
I think there's some misunderstanding here in Singapore with regards to the "play" aspect of preschool learning.

thetinyseed
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:50 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: The article today in Sunday Tmes - Play or CRAM

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:47 am

thetinyseed wrote:Actually, the whole idea of "play" is not unstructured play, and it does not mean the child is not learning the academics either. Structured play actually incorporates physical play with learning - reading, math, etc, but not in a pencil and paper way.
I think there's some misunderstanding here in Singapore with regards to the "play" aspect of preschool learning.

I agree with this. My kids didn't learn hypy in kindy, but picked up bits as we saw examples around and learned to distinguish hypy from English words. They weren't taught phonics but picked up bits when I read to them or we wrote notices and signs for their play or cards for the grandparents, and as they watched me make shopping lists etc. They had no issues with simple arithmetic, more/less than and fractions because they picked it up through playing with playdough, sharing food, counting things etc, even though I never got them to sit down and 'learn' it with paper and pencil. So I don't see 'play' as meaning 'learn nothing academic'. It did mean that my kids were quite excited in school when they realised that there were formal ways to express on paper the things they already 'knew'.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Next

Return to Recess Time