Government in talks with potential pre-school operators

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby winchester » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:44 am

let's guess which gic. anyway, i'm wary of government moving into pre-school sector despite many parents wanting it. it would be more stressful for our children.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... s-20120904
By Janice Tai

The Government hopes to get two or three more pre-school operators on board to offer affordable programmes targeted at low- and middle-income families.

It is currently in talks with potential operators, Minister of State for Community Development, Youth and Sports Halimah Yacob revealed yesterday.

She sits on a new committee formed last week to look into how to improve the pre-school sector, including attracting more mass-market or anchor operators.

Giving more details yesterday, Madam Halimah said: "We are looking at another two or three (anchor operators). They will be established players."

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Government in talks with potential pre-school operators

Postby Lilac66 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:50 am

Seems Carpe Diem is keen to be one of the anchor operators. How are they like? But I understand the founder Francis is a very nice chap.

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winchester » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:57 am

Lilac66 wrote:Seems Carpe Diem is keen to be one of the anchor operators. How are they like? But I understand the founder Francis is a very nice chap.

all this very grey. so government is going to encourage anchor players. but how, give them subsidy or rebates to compete with the others? very grey leh.

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DesertWind » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:52 pm

I think one of the most important factors is to give these new anchor tenants GOOD LOCATIONs with rental at reasonable prices. For eg. Learning Vision seems to have started as the main provider for statutory boards, polytechnics, hospitals etc. until they got sold off to a foreign company. Without the right connections I believe it is next to impossible to get such centrally located centres.

I myself have found child-care centres much lacking in the town area especially around Funan Centre/Hill Street/Raffles City location near my work place! If there is one, I would have gladly place my DS2 there and I can go see him during lunch time. Think there is a need to open more CCC in the financial district to help working mums!

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DesertWind » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Carpe Diem is one of the popular CCCs and they have nice locations as well. The one at YCK @ Hilltop is full despite being relatively new ie. only about 2 year's old!

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DesertWind » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:04 pm

How about saving the popular St. James Church Kindergarten? I read that they got problem with the location and cost of renting similar type premises once their current lease is up.

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby joyceharper » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:39 pm

DesertWind wrote:How about saving the popular St. James Church Kindergarten? I read that they got problem with the location and cost of renting similar type premises once their current lease is up.

I had some friends' kids attending St. James - isn't it a private preschool?

joyceharper
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Recess Time