PSLE boy is getai performer

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

PSLE boy is getai performer

Postby jtoh » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:27 pm

http://www.tnp.sg/content/pupil-day-get ... rmer-night

Leow Wen Kai, 12, is like any other pupil in the day. He has school, remedial classes, tuition and television in between.

But at night, he becomes “Xiao Wang Lei”, getai superstar.

Hours after hitting the books each day, Wen Kai is hitting stages across the island, sometimes up to four a night, singing and dancing for hundreds who gather at these shows for the Hungry Ghost Festival.

Wen Kai, who is sitting his PSLE this year, tells The New Paper how he juggles studies and nightly getai gigs.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Re: PSLE boy is getai performer

Postby jtoh » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:28 pm

While all the mummies and daddies of PSLE children in this forum are stressing out over the upcoming PSLE, this boy is running the island at might performing at getais. Different strokes for different folks.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Pen88n » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:32 pm

He has already made a name for himself and earning $$. Entertainment line can be what he is going into in the future. What does PSLE T-score matters??? :evil:

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:39 pm

But while pp may clamor to see a cute boy sing, this may not be the case when he grows up.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:47 pm

He gets an ang pao of $80 per session and does 1-4 sessions a night, usually 2. I suppose the money is pretty good for a young boy, but his studies....

He apparently scores Cs and Ds...

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Pen88n » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Does putting in more time into his studies guarantee him A or A*??? If he has no interest in studies, perhaps that is a way out for him - another route to progress in future instead of through the academic route.

To me, no right / wrong - to each his own preference. He may be seeing it as working towards his bright entertainment career future, just like PSLE results is a ticket to hopefully a brighter future for some other kids.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fightingmom » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Oh wow! 12 year old getai performer ! :scared:

Such performance is in "demand" usually in the 7th lunar month each year. Unless he (or his parents/ guardians) has his future path mapped out (like maybe already sign an entertainment contract to further his singing/performing career) , I would rather he concentrate on the coming PSLE which is less than 1 month away. :scared: :nailbite: :sweat:

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Is this even legal? Do we have laws to protect kids from exploitation? The adults who have care of him earn how much compared to his childish $80 ang pow? If his parents are pocketing thousands for each appearance... Can we put them in jail?

Talented or otherwise, every child deserves the right to a basic education before starting to earn his keep. PSLE is in 20 days, why do the parents allow this?

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:47 pm

I believe getting PSLE is basic education. He deserves to get it as his rights. Gei Tai is every year affair, missing one year should not hurt him but missing the grades for PSLE means he would have to repeat a year. However, if he feels that singing actually enhances his studies because it helps him relax and can think better, then I think it is an indirect help to his studies. I have no definite view to this, it really depends on what motivates the child best to perform in PSLE.

As for legal, I suppose if we can have child models signed under parents' consent, this would be somewhat similar. It is not a regular job, contract-based.

Postby AceTutors123 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:32 am

Pen88n wrote:Does putting in more time into his studies guarantee him A or A*??? If he has no interest in studies, perhaps that is a way out for him - another route to progress in future instead of through the academic route.

To me, no right / wrong - to each his own preference. He may be seeing it as working towards his bright entertainment career future, just like PSLE results is a ticket to hopefully a brighter future for some other kids.

Maybe he could be the next JJ Lin!

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time