General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Suicides see slight increase in 2011: SOS

Postby Oppsgal » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:08 am

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Suicides see slight increase in 2011: SOS

Postby Mychildren » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:58 pm

I happened to c many old folks sitting at some corners, feeling bore like nothing to do. For some, still not so bad, they've someone to talk to. Some need to stay at home because of health problems.

May suggest the below:
1. Create jobs for old folks. (I think even if the pay is very low, they'll feel they're still useful after all. Do remember when I'm small, my mum brought back plastic bags for us to insert the handles or the cardboards inside.)
2. Create recreational centres for old folks, whereby there are games like chess or cards, light exercise machines, Video programmes for them to watch together. Meals can be included but need to pay a certain amount. There are such centres in Hong Kong.
3. Encourage family members to value their old folks at home & let them take care of their grandchildren if they're still in good health.
4. Also, family members should encourage them to participate in activities organise by RC, CC like outings to some places, walks, dinners, dancing or singing classes.

Will come back to write if I've the time. :smile:
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thetinyseed » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:11 pm

It is so sad that people have to resort to suicides in a bid to "end" their troubles. Surely there must be more we can do to help them ... :sad:

thetinyseed
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mychildren » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:29 pm

I happened to receive calls from one granny who complained about her daughter-in-law & maid to me. For I know she is bore and her children don't even want to listen to her complains. I too talked to one granny who told me she has depression & she sometimes need to take some medicine because of that. So I tried to listen when old folks talk to me, even though the topics are boring.

I have been sent to hospital to work for a week (because of my cca) & I was given the duty to help the old folks there. There was one who was still asking for bedpan on the very first day I was there & the other day I went, she was no longer there anymore (pass away).

One I even saw a very big wound behind her back, could c tears flowing down her eyes with no one there beside her. I tried to feed her (on liquid diet), but she couldn't even swallow her food properly.

I feel very sad whenever I remember all these. :sad:

Just sharing.
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peapot » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:02 pm

oh dear, that's quite sad especially when you think how we will grow old one day too.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mychildren » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Wow, peapot, u change yours to a handsome guy. Wee....weee, blowing whistle.
By the way, what's his name??? :evil:

Pm you for other things. :smile:
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lilac66 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Mychildren wrote:I happened to c many old folks sitting at some corners, feeling bore like nothing to do. For some, still not so bad, they've someone to talk to. Some need to stay at home because of health problems.

May suggest the below:
1. Create jobs for old folks. (I think even if the pay is very low, they'll feel they're still useful after all. Do remember when I'm small, my mum brought back plastic bags for us to insert the handles or the cardboards inside.)
2. Create recreational centres for old folks, whereby there are games like chess or cards, light exercise machines, Video programmes for them to watch together. Meals can be included but need to pay a certain amount. There are such centres in Hong Kong.3. Encourage family members to value their old folks at home & let them take care of their grandchildren if they're still in good health.
4. Also, family members should encourage them to participate in activities organise by RC, CC like outings to some places, walks, dinners, dancing or singing classes.

Will come back to write if I've the time. :smile:

Mychildren, I think point 2 is good. Esp if they can screen some dialect shows for these poor old folks as some may not understand Chinese. With these programs, hopefully they'll be more willing to get out of the house to mingle.

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mychildren » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:56 pm

lilac66,

These old folks are not like us whereby we still can talk online. They don't even know how to use a pc or type in english. Maybe should have some free course for them on these, right? But they also need to purchase a laptop or pc then.
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:28 am

just like to share with you all my personal experience:
a close relative of mine was diagnosed with depression last year. She kept talking of ending her life because she believed that if she dies, she will bring along the 'bad things', misery, helplessness etc with her so that her loved ones will not 'suffer' and be affected by it. In other words, suicide to her is like a sacrifice that she is willing to make so that her family will be free.
We often talked about how wrong people were to take their own lives but I guess we have 'misunderstood' them for their 'good intentions'. :yikes:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mychildren » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:04 am

pinky,
Then better get someone who he/she is willing to listen to, talk to him/her.
Help to let him/her c that life is beautiful & he/she can help in a way.
I mean helps him/her develop positive thinking.
I understand its easier said than done.
But no harm trying.
:pray:
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time