MOE not tweaking P1 registration

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Postby Laura02 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:47 pm

MOE not tweaking P1 registration formula: Minister of State
AsiaOne | Mon Sep 10 2012

SINGAPORE: Instead of tweaking the Primary One (P1) registration exercise, the Ministry of Education (MOE) is concentrating its efforts on providing good schools in different neighbourhoods.

Senior Minister of State Lawrence Wong was addressing questions raised by Member of Parliament Lim Biow Chuan during the Parliament session today on whether MOE is setting aside at least half the number of available places in each school to cater for pupils registering under Phases 2B and 2C.

Phase 2B is for children whose parents are volunteers with the school or members of an affiliated church or clan. Parents who are community leaders may also apply. Phase 2C is for children who are eligible for P1 the following year but have not registered in a primary school.

Mr Wong ensured that there are sufficient schools across Singapore and children do not need to travel too far.

He also said that MOE is investing in well-trained teachers, good infrastructure and is encouraging parents to make well-informed school choices.

Competition for places in primary schools has been intense, with some parents not being able to enrol their child into a school near their houses.

In the current system, parents who volunteer regularly at the school are allowed higher priority in the enrolment process.

Laura02
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Postby Laura02 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Laura02
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:09 pm

The decision is to increase parents' confidence in all primary schools.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby laughingcat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:21 am

The ministry are advocating all schools are good by allocating adequate resources. :celebrate: Personally I think that is the way to go.
Last edited by laughingcat on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirate » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:22 am

See? They do listen! Bet you somebody in MOE trawls through KSP forum too.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nms1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:22 am

It's going to take time so let's hope everyone can find some patience to see this through and just bear with the system in the meantime.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:23 am

SAHM_TAN wrote:The decision is to increase parents' confidence in all primary schools.

:goodpost:

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:23 am

laughingcat wrote:The ministry are advocating all schools are good by allocating adequate resources. :celebrate: Personally I think that is the way to go.

:goodpost:

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:30 am

pirate wrote:See? They do listen! Bet you somebody in MOE trawls through KSP forum too.

I know for a fact they do. In addition, I was told by someone not from MOE that a daily report is generated to summarise views here. This news is so heartening, together with the news about stellar in Upper Primary... it does show some cognizance of issues on the ground... not denial... a gentle promise to fix things. Thank you MOE. I am grateful.
Last edited by Chenonceau on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:35 am

nms1 wrote:It's going to take time so let's hope everyone can find some patience to see this through and just bear with the system in the meantime.

For most of us who complained, we knew that fixes will come too late for our kids. I am happy as long as the grandkids inherit a better system... less elitist... less judgmental... more forgiving of poor results at a single IQ test. Mainstream deserves a decent education too... and it should be decent for everyone, not just lucky ones in good schools. I have time to be patient. My timeframe is the grandkids. Those with kids in lower primary usually don't complain.

Now... they may not have to.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time