General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:116

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by rains » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:11 pm

Chenonceau wrote:
pirate wrote:But we should not also forget that national exam papers should be able to sieve the top from the rest. If there aren't any "overly tough" questions, how are we going to identify the truly brilliant? Do we want exams where it is possible for a significant percentage of students to "max-out" the scores? Making those "overly tough" questions not hot-housable or crammable, however, is a different artform altogether. At the PSLE or even 'O' levels, this is not easy to do.

This might sound like a sarcastic question but it is not. I really wanna know the thought process. Why is it so necessary to differentiate the bright, the brighter and the brightest academically?

It really sounds like a sarcastic question :) but perhaps this question would be best answered by the world's best-paid leaders who believe in protecting and producing the elites.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:21

Post by Chenonceau » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:13 pm

rains wrote:
It really sounds like a sarcastic question :) ...

Oops! It really isn't. I just wanna understand to perspective behind the conclusion.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:17

Post by nms1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Chenonceau wrote:
pirate wrote:But we should not also forget that national exam papers should be able to sieve the top from the rest. If there aren't any "overly tough" questions, how are we going to identify the truly brilliant? Do we want exams where it is possible for a significant percentage of students to "max-out" the scores? Making those "overly tough" questions not hot-housable or crammable, however, is a different artform altogether. At the PSLE or even 'O' levels, this is not easy to do.

This might sound like a sarcastic question but it is not. I really wanna know the thought process. Why is it so necessary to differentiate the bright, the brighter and the brightest academically?

If you are looking at who is going on to university, who are the doctors/lawyers/professors of the future, you need something to base that on. If everyone is scoring As how to we know who has a talent in which area?

If the exams are too predictable or easy then everyone can obtain As and no-one knows who is really smart and who just spent hours cramming. This is the reason why I like the changes being introduced to PSLE English. They may not have said this but I think it will help to distinguish the really good from the ones who've had hours of tuition and stock answers provided by their teachers.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Chenonceau » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:12 pm

nms1 wrote:
If you are looking at who is going on to university, who are the doctors/lawyers/professors of the future, you need something to base that on. If everyone is scoring As how to we know who has a talent in which area?

If the exams are too predictable or easy then everyone can obtain As and no-one knows who is really smart and who just spent hours cramming. This is the reason why I like the changes being introduced to PSLE English. They may not have said this but I think it will help to distinguish the really good from the ones who've had hours of tuition and stock answers provided by their teachers.

Don't all professions need smart people?

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by pirate » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:13 pm

rains wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:

It really sounds like a sarcastic question :) but perhaps this question would be best answered by the world's best-paid leaders who believe in protecting and producing the elites.

The same reason why you want to be operated on by the best surgeons, represented in court by the best lawyer if you can afford it, and queue up at supposedly the best prawn mee stall. Ok, the last one is not academic, but the principle is still the same.

Where do you get this idea that the "elite" is "protected" (makes for a good soundbyte but what does that mean)? And why slip that in?

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Chenonceau » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Uh oh... thread getting hot. Me gone. Have fun debating.

:siam:

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by pirate » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:54 pm

No, lah. You are ok. :hugs: It's the other person trying to be funny that I was replying to. :spank:

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:108

Post by limlim » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:21 pm

laughingcat wrote:Inconvenience is very subjective. So i don't think we should generalise "everyone loves conveniences".

Fetching the kids to school while in the same route and direction to workplace is convenience as well. Starting work early is also a good thing. It is all about time management.

Well, if anyone can say don't love convenience.. ok lor.. if they are being true to themselves.

Pple who rather travel far to send their kids to a popular school simply means they love the school MORE than convenience.. but doesn't mean they don't love convenience.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:116

Post by rains » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:14 pm

pirate wrote:No, lah. You are ok. :hugs: It's the other person trying to be funny that I was replying to. :spank:

Doesn't everyone get to be entitled to her opinion? Why should I be deemed as trying to be funny when I gave mine? I think that you are trying to be funny really. Why attack on a personal basis when it's just an innocent discussion?

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by pirate » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Cannot compute. Please input parameter. How is that "personal"?