DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Re: MOE not tweaking P1 registration

Post by DesertWind » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 am

Nebbermind wrote:The MOE ALUMNI HANDBOOK

Excellent! Thanks for this Nebbermind!

I had to look through all the way to the last page to see the date 2008, which is pretty recent. Yes, all schools should be encouraged to build up their own alumni.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:34 am

limlim....I cannot remember in which thread we talk about the 'sentimental fools' issue again and I mentioned integral part of education and you asked for explanation.

I was hoping you could figure out the lesson of "饮水思源" as the education part that MOE is trying to deliver to the kids when they encourage people to continue to serve as an alumni and even send their kids back to the school.

This handbook has provided a lot of good read to expand on this.

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by fightingmom » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:40 am

ksi wrote:

limlim....I cannot remember in which thread we talk about the 'sentimental fools' issue again and I mentioned integral part of education and you asked for explanation.

I was hoping you could figure out the lesson of "饮水思源" as the education part that MOE is trying to deliver to the kids when they encourage people to continue to serve as an alumni and even send their kids back to the school.

Both of you talked about it here - under the topic on " Every School, a Good School "

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... =1&t=40540

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:43 am

fightingmom wrote:
ksi wrote:

Both of you talked about it here - under the topic on " Every School, a Good School "

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... =1&t=40540

tanks fightingmom tanks! :rahrah: :rahrah: :rahrah:

Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Mychildren » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:27 am

Nebbermind,

Any short cuts to read the handbook? Not enough time to read page by page.
Lazy me.... :sick:

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:108

Post by limlim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:59 am

ksi wrote:

"饮水思源" as in contributing and serve, is fine.

But used as disguise to Hog the resource for their kids and deprive others from it, is distasteful.

Like I said, different pple have different considerations.

Some is practical, some is sentimental.

Why should one be given absolute priority over the others?

Unless the govt can solve the traffic congestion issues and also provide reliable free transport to send kids to schools for those w/o car and cannot afford luxury of sch bus, they should relook at their policies.

By allowing alumni to hog the resources, they are causing great inconvenience to others.

Stand further away, look at the issue from another angle.

Who are those that support Alumni? those with vested interest, those with kids going to P1 soon. All self interest. Who supported it from an independent viewpoint?

NOW, look at those who support distance priority again. How many are not vested? Kids not going to P1 or already enrolled in a school. Quite a number I can easily find.

Do you see the picture? What views are really offered with the consideration of in the best interest of the community and not self interest?

Does having a sentimental based policy in the best interest of the community? I say not. The correct values can be taught in school, whichever schools.

I feel P2B has more merit than sleeping alumni.

Add: Not that I support/agree with P2B..
Last edited by limlim on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dorisp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by dorisp » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 am

ksi wrote:

"饮水思源" is a high moral and most would agree it should be taught, encouraged and practiced, from a personal perspective.

It is important to note that, however, the P1 registration system, on the other hand, is not a personal issue. It is a national issue and when dealt, it is the interest of the general community that forms the integral core of the consideration.

And if there is a conflict of interest between national and personal interest when dealing with national policy, imagin if the policy skewed towards serving personal interest such as sentiments and personal preference over that of the general community...... :scared:

:smile:

MR06
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by MR06 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Let's face it.

Most people recognize the importance and contribution of the alumni community.

The counter argument against alumni priority has always centered on the indiscriminate "shoo-in" of all ex-students' kids to the detriment of the children classed after P2A.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:57 pm

limlim wrote:
ksi wrote:

"饮水思源" as in contributing and serve, is fine.

But used as disguise to Hog the resource for their kids and deprive others from it, is distasteful.

Where do you find evidence of this? :?

Like I said, different pple have different considerations.
Some is practical, some is sentimental.

Agree with this general statement.

Why should one be given absolute priority over the others?

Already explained but you don't agree only....

Unless the govt can solve the traffic congestion issues and also provide reliable free transport to send kids to schools for those w/o car and cannot afford luxury of sch bus, they should relook at their policies.

Agree that traffic congestion is a problem but this assumes that alumni kids all go to school by car. It is an assumption.

By allowing alumni to hog the resources, they are causing great inconvenience to others.

Agree that anyone who hoards resources cause inconveniences to people. Check with your school, how many seats do alumni take?

Stand further away, look at the issue from another angle.

Who are those that support Alumni? those with vested interest, those with kids going to P1 soon. All self interest. Who supported it from an independent viewpoint?

Me?...... I have no more P1 school-going kids. I cannot speak for the rest and I don't monitor people's activities/background so closely here, bo eng la...uncle

NOW, look at those who support distance priority again. How many are not vested? Kids not going to P1 or already enrolled in a school. Quite a number I can easily find.

Conditionally agree, please make a list if you have the info.

Do you see the picture? What views are really offered with the consideration of in the best interest of the community and not self interest?

Yes I see. From what I know, most people will claim that they offer view for the best interest of the community, hardly people will admit it for self-interest because it is certainly less convincing with personal agenda.

Does having a sentimental based policy in the best interest of the community? I say not. The correct values can be taught in school, whichever schools.

Sentimental is what is felt by the alumni la uncle, not policy-makers. MOE teaches "remember the source of water when you drink it"

I feel P2B has more merit than sleeping alumni.

FYI, I know the P2B community very well. As you say most people would do things for self-interest and no one can fault them because it is a value system issue. I know P2B parents who got into the school(40 hrs of work) and you never see them again for the next 6 years, do you know such people? :smile: There are some alumni who has served in a school their kids graduated for 10 years!! Do you know them? :smile: I do. My point is all kinds of people exist in all kinds of categories, so let's not be naive to think that this category has more angelic people than that.

In the greater scheme of things, alumni is of national interest, not personal (in response to dorisp as well). And one fine day....you will find that this trait developed in your descendants will benefit you.

Add: Not that I support/agree with P2B..

I agree with you.....see ultimately we agree on many things more than disagree. And we can agree to disgree on points we do not have common views :celebrate: to a good day Uncle...some messages take time to internalise...mull over it. :smile: