REMEMBER SINGAPORE - Urban Legends

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

REMEMBER SINGAPORE - Urban Legends

Postby Way2GO » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Came across dis site Remember Singapore
link http://remembersingapore.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/10-most-popular-singapore-urban-legends/

me has heard of most but not heard of d soiled sanitary napkins ref 4. satay addiction; n ref 8. restless spirits of Bishan n Novena, though has heard Bishan flats were not popular at first coz d estate was built up on cemetery ground.

Near to Bishan estate is Kong Ming San, where d highly respected Ven. Hong Chuan was abbot before he passed away.
d murmurings about LKY consulting him on many matters affecting d state is true or an urban legend?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: REMEMBER SINGAPORE - Urban Legends

Postby jtoh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Interesting.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Way2GO » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:38 pm

It wld be quite an engineering feat during colonial times if d Brits dug an underwater tunnel across d channel fr Labrador Park to Sentosa.

me has explored a gun emplacement n bunker at Sentosa before some were demolished or touched up before Sentosa was developed into a resort island.

felt eerie then - gun emplacement n bunker were overran with undergrowth n was then thinking there were once soldiers on duty in there n if some of them survived d war.
d bunker was located right up to d beach facing south - I stayed in one of d colonial bungalows.
Went visiting d beach one nite. It was a gorgeous view with a half-crescent moon casting a dim light on d water; some luminescent creatures were shimmering in d water while those long-nosed fishes were swimming about. Then suddenly me thot of d executions on d beach when Sentosa was known as P. Blakang Mati. :yikes: :yikes:

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joule » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:20 pm

urban legends:

Singapore is built based on Feng Shui principles;

1) to plant trees extensively so that the 'crab' island of Singapore would be alive and not 'cooked' (Singapore is in the shape of a crab, a red crab is a cooked and dead crab, a green crab is alive).

2) a ba-gua octagon is built in the heart of the city (Lau Pa Sat)

3) everyone carries a ba-gua octagon (1 dollar coin)

4) every car has a ba-gua octagon (road tax)

4) MBS from some angle reminds some people of an altar. The Art Science museum is the pineapple offering

5) Suntec City is in the shape of a hand with 5 fingers

6) look at the Senoko or various power stations. 3 chimneys. do they remind you of joss sticks?

7) got fengshui master say the Singapore flyer is spinning the wrong way

8) some Monetary Authority building is designed like a stack of coins..

and so on....

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Way2GO » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Joule wrote:urban legends:

Singapore is built based on Feng Shui principles;

5) Suntec City is in the shape of a hand with 5 fingers

dis wan not urban legend.
cfm d palm at fountain of wealth built in accordance to feng shui recommendations.

Joule wrote:6) look at the Senoko or various power stations. 3 chimneys. do they remind you of joss sticks?

doubt its configured to feng shui principles.
Exhaust stacks (ur chimneys) in power stations r built in relation to how d power plants r configured.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Joule » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:45 pm

speaking of urban legends,

anyone remember the story of Kum Kum?

apparently she's some kind of vampire that goes around sucking the blood of virgin girls

I think this was about maybe 20 years ago....?

She's not been heard of lately. Perhaps there are too few virgins to go around...

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Joule wrote:8) some Monetary Authority building is designed like a stack of coins..

Not MAS Building, but Treasury Building across the street. I think its name was changed to Temasek Tower?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:23 pm

heard about the kidnapping of kids to build bridges when I was a kid.
I lived in the kampong so when it turned dark, all parents would get their kids to stay at home just in case. :scared:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:46 am

pinky wrote:heard about the kidnapping of kids to build bridges when I was a kid.
I lived in the kampong so when it turned dark, all parents would get their kids to stay at home just in case. :scared:

There were some stories behind this practice, but its most prolly old wives' tale to keep children fr wandering in d dark n keep close to home.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:49 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Joule wrote:8) some Monetary Authority building is designed like a stack of coins..

Not MAS Building, but Treasury Building across the street. I think its name was changed to Temasek Tower?

d building dat looks like a stack of coins at 8 Shenton Way was sold some years ago to a pte coy n no longer known as Temasek Tower.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time