MOE to scrap Banding for Secondary Schools

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Post Reply
pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2875
Joined: Tue Jan 13,

Re: MOE to scrap Banding for Secondary Schools

Post by pinky » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:04 am

tutormum wrote:
pinky wrote:I support the scrapping too. Heard from friends of schools asking their students to drop subjects that they did not do well in case it affect the school overall ranking. (I suppose referring to S4 students). Wonder if it is a common practice :yikes:

No need to wonder. It is so common that every school is doing it. Thank God that DS3 is able to take Literature as O level as he loves it. His school has not offered it for seven years. I know the main reason that students are not encouraged to take Literature cos of the low chance of scoring A. Schools don't want it to pull down the overall ranking while students don't want to get anything less than A. :sad:


so how was your son able to take it now? he must be very happy

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16183
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:158

Re: MOE to scrap Banding for Secondary Schools

Post by Nebbermind » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:34 am

tutormum wrote:No need to wonder. It is so common that every school is doing it. Thank God that DS3 is able to take Literature as O level as he loves it. His school has not offered it for seven years. I know the main reason that students are not encouraged to take Literature cos of the low chance of scoring A. Schools don't want it to pull down the overall ranking while students don't want to get anything less than A. :sad:


Sad, isn't it? The system had somehow force the schools to produce one-dimension students.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11228
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:209

Re: MOE to scrap Banding for Secondary Schools

Post by slmkhoo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:42 am

Nebbermind wrote:
tutormum wrote:No need to wonder. It is so common that every school is doing it. Thank God that DS3 is able to take Literature as O level as he loves it. His school has not offered it for seven years. I know the main reason that students are not encouraged to take Literature cos of the low chance of scoring A. Schools don't want it to pull down the overall ranking while students don't want to get anything less than A. :sad:


Sad, isn't it? The system had somehow force the schools to produce one-dimension students.

This is the main reason I applaud scrapping the banding. When schools are more concerned about the no. of As than educating kids in a more all-rounded way, then our education system is not doing its job. At least when there is no official ranking, teachers' and principals' performance and promotions will not be tied to the ranking, and kids will not be pressured to only take subjects they can score As in or take CCAs they win awards in.

If some people think it's important enough to privately rank schools, that's their prerogative. Actually, knowing something about the school's performance when selecting schools is a good thing (think of the Times Higher Education Supplement and similar publications), but teachers' should not be pressured to make raising the school's ranking their main goal. I also take issue with the banding as it was practised - why only rank by exam results? That's really too one-dimensional.

Finally, parents should consider whether the school is a good fit for the child rather than assuming that getting the child into a 'good' school necessarily means that the child will get those 'good' results. That child might end up as the trailing tail if the school is too competitive for him even if the teachers are supportive.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4859
Joined: Fri Dec 10,
Total Likes:20

Re: MOE to scrap Banding for Secondary Schools

Post by Chenonceau » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:40 pm

slmkhoo wrote:This is the main reason I applaud scrapping the banding. When schools are more concerned about the no. of As than educating kids in a more all-rounded way, then our education system is not doing its job. At least when there is no official ranking, teachers' and principals' performance and promotions will not be tied to the ranking, and kids will not be pressured to only take subjects they can score As in or take CCAs they win awards in.

If some people think it's important enough to privately rank schools, that's their prerogative. Actually, knowing something about the school's performance when selecting schools is a good thing (think of the Times Higher Education Supplement and similar publications), but teachers' should not be pressured to make raising the school's ranking their main goal. I also take issue with the banding as it was practised - why only rank by exam results? That's really too one-dimensional.

Finally, parents should consider whether the school is a good fit for the child rather than assuming that getting the child into a 'good' school necessarily means that the child will get those 'good' results. That child might end up as the trailing tail if the school is too competitive for him even if the teachers are supportive.


I begin to sound like some sort of sycophant but... :goodpost:

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1814
Joined: Thu Jun 09,
Total Likes:5

Re: MOE to scrap Banding for Secondary Schools

Post by mummy so kiasu » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:50 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:
jtoh wrote:With so many of the top schools going IP and not taking O level, there would be a big change in the Band 1 schools. One of the reasons for doing away with banding.


I feel the banding will still be useful for students who do not select IP schools to know which one are the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc after the IP schools


I agree with you. Such info will help parents to choose the right schools for their P6 kids. Everyone knows that the elite schools are RI, RGS, HCI, NYGH, but we do not know much about the neighbourhood schools. Banding tells the parents how well the schools prepared the kids for the O level exam. It also help parents to differentiate the better neighbourhood schools from the so so ones. If every school is good, then not every school is equally good. If every school is good, then why do the kids need to study so hard for PSLE to get higher T score.


verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11679
Joined: Mon Jan 04,
Total Likes:2

Re: MOE to scrap Banding for Secondary Schools

Post by verykiasu2010 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:56 pm

mummy so kiasu wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:
jtoh wrote:With so many of the top schools going IP and not taking O level, there would be a big change in the Band 1 schools. One of the reasons for doing away with banding.


I feel the banding will still be useful for students who do not select IP schools to know which one are the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc after the IP schools


I agree with you. Such info will help parents to choose the right schools for their P6 kids. Everyone knows that the elite schools are RI, RGS, HCI, NYGH, but we do not know much about the neighbourhood schools. Banding tells the parents how well the schools prepared the kids for the O level exam. It also help parents to differentiate the better neighbourhood schools from the so so ones. If every school is good, then not every school is equally good. If every school is good, then why do the kids need to study so hard for PSLE to get higher T score.


websites like ksp becomes useful

CKS : you should go advertise in every primary school, where to look for info on sec school

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2716
Joined: Thu Jul 29,
Total Likes:21

Re: MOE to scrap Banding for Secondary Schools

Post by Lilac66 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:16 pm

tutormum wrote:
pinky wrote:I support the scrapping too. Heard from friends of schools asking their students to drop subjects that they did not do well in case it affect the school overall ranking. (I suppose referring to S4 students). Wonder if it is a common practice :yikes:

No need to wonder. It is so common that every school is doing it. Thank God that DS3 is able to take Literature as O level as he loves it. His school has not offered it for seven years. I know the main reason that students are not encouraged to take Literature cos of the low chance of scoring A. Schools don't want it to pull down the overall ranking while students don't want to get anything less than A. :sad:



I'm really out of touch. I did not know schools will resort to that to preserve their rankings. :rant:
Aren't schools supposed to nurture the children's talent and interest.You mean we'll see only a flood scientists and mathematicians in the future but none more inclined towards the arts??

Good thing the banding is going to be scrapped.

edtan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 10,

Re: MOE to scrap Banding for Secondary Schools

Post by edtan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:39 pm

I think the MOE is too reactive over by one or two people comments.
First, it was the P1 screening and later Secondary school banding.

Why don't take out the entry requirement for the universities, that will solve every parent woe and have unlimited vacancies for all courses. We can choose we want to do; not constraints by the entry points.

Because there is an entry requirement into the university, we have "A" level. It is because of "A" level, we need to make sure our kids do well in their exam and get to a decent course of choice. Because of all these, we need to have a competitive environment to put them into test.

An iron sharpens another iron. I can't imagine a wood sharpens an iron but I don't mind a diamond sharpens an iron.

Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 20,

Re: MOE to scrap Banding for Secondary Schools

Post by Mychildren » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:59 pm

edtan wrote:I think the MOE is too reactive over by one or two people comments.First, it was the P1 screening and later Secondary school banding.

Why don't take out the entry requirement for the universities, that will solve every parent woe and have unlimited vacancies for all courses. We can choose we want to do; not constraints by the entry points.

Because there is an entry requirement into the university, we have "A" level. It is because of "A" level, we need to make sure our kids do well in their exam and get to a decent course of choice. Because of all these, we need to have a competitive environment to put them into test.

An iron sharpens another iron. I can't imagine a wood sharpens an iron but I don't mind a diamond sharpens an iron.


I'm not sure whether its 1 or 2 or more people comments (to those in blue). But I do hope that MOE used their wisdom to think before they act & know what's the reasons for doing so, not to be shortsighted for the sake of satisfying anyone temporary.

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6730
Joined: Thu Jan 06,
Total Likes:98

Re: MOE to scrap Banding for Secondary Schools

Post by iFirefly » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:28 pm

tutormum wrote:
pinky wrote:I support the scrapping too. Heard from friends of schools asking their students to drop subjects that they did not do well in case it affect the school overall ranking. (I suppose referring to S4 students). Wonder if it is a common practice :yikes:


No need to wonder. It is so common that every school is doing it. Thank God that DS3 is able to take Literature as O level as he loves it. His school has not offered it for seven years. I know the main reason that students are not encouraged to take Literature cos of the low chance of scoring A. Schools don't want it to pull down the overall ranking while students don't want to get anything less than A. :sad:


Catholic High School (Sec) is an exception.. The students are allowed to take any subject combinations (in addition to choosing from fixed subject bundles), as the Principal believes that students are more likely to do well in subjects they have interest in, not in subjects they are being forced to take.. The school will make special arrangement even if there is only 1 student taking a particular subject combination.. Certainly more work for the school time-tabling team, but they feel that the extra effort is worth it.. :smile:

I believe, besides CHS, there are many other schools which have been placing students' welfare as their first priority.. I do not agree when you say ''EVERY school is doing it''.. I do not think Pinky meant it that way either.. :roll:

Post Reply