MOE Looking to improve teacher assessment

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

MOE Looking to improve teacher assessment

Postby winchester » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:49 am

very hard to implement. not say got 360 feedback from students and peers!

teachers now are also assessed on their cca work, since moe and parents want well-rounded education syllabus.

but if teachers are to teach as moe wants to re-focus it back to "teaching", then teachers would be assessed on their students' performance the easiest indicator of how well the teacher teaches. that means they would stress the kids more and also education means back to academic and not "well-rounded".

Looking to improve teacher assessment
http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/ED ... assessment
SINGAPORE - The Education Ministry (MOE) is looking at how assessment of teachers can be improved, even as it seeks to relieve stress faced by students and parents.

At Wednesday's MOE Work Plan seminar, Education Minister Heng Swee Keat had said that there "may be some unevenness and misconceptions in the implementation of performance management which causes unnecessary stress" among teachers.

Responding to TODAY's queries, an MOE spokesperson said yesterday that the ministry is "currently in the process of reviewing the appraisal framework and implementation to ensure that it continues to meet the needs of the Education Service".

Teachers interviewed by TODAY felt that there could be more transparency in terms of how they are graded, as it will go towards determining their career progression opportunities.

Some also felt that teachers who are more active in leading or participating in non-curriculum activities could achieve a higher performance grade, even if more time was invested in teaching duties.

MOE gives schools guidelines on how teachers could be assessed - including indicators like teaching, and contributions to school and colleagues - and school leaders have the flexibility on how to implement them. While one school may assign weight to each criteria with teaching usually having the heaviest percentage, for instance, another school may consider all factors in totality. Even within the same component of teaching, some school leaders may consider the pedagogy that teachers use, while others may decide based on the academic performance of the students.

A Head of Department at a secondary school, who spoke on condition of anonymity, felt that the MOE could clearly spell out what it means for teachers to "go beyond what is required" for obligations outside the classroom.

While educators agreed that non-classroom activities are important for professional development or bonding with their pupils, they hoped that involvement in non-teaching tasks could be reduced.

One educator suggested: "To remove any ambiguity, schools could spell out the specific requirements at the start of each year so that teachers can be more assured of whether they are on track. It is also important to raise red flags early if teachers are not up to task."

School leaders told TODAY that, even if they had the discretion on teachers' assessment, schools have to adhere to MOE guidelines and only make tweaks according to student profiles.

Nan Chiau High School Principal Tan Yee Kan felt that it is time for the MOE to review the performance management of teachers, at a time when the teaching fraternity reaches a record 33,000 educators.

"As the education landscapes changes and demands on teachers are different now, it would be also good to consider and clearly lay out what is expected of teachers and the competencies they should have ... newer teachers would then also have a better idea," he said.

winchester
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: MOE Looking to improve teacher assessment

Postby AceTutors123 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:12 am

Wow, very exciting changes coming from MOE. It would be great to implement 360 feedback systems for teachers winchester! That way the teacher needs only be his/her natural self and do what she does best.

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MR06 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:28 pm

winchester wrote:very hard to implement. not say got 360 feedback from students and peers!

teachers now are also assessed on their cca work, since moe and parents want well-rounded education syllabus.

but if teachers are to teach as moe wants to re-focus it back to "teaching", then teachers would be assessed on their students' performance the easiest indicator of how well the teacher teaches. that means they would stress the kids more and also education means back to academic and not "well-rounded".

Looking to improve teacher assessment
http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/ED ... assessment
SINGAPORE - The Education Ministry (MOE) is looking at how assessment of teachers can be improved, even as it seeks to relieve stress faced by students and parents.

At Wednesday's MOE Work Plan seminar, Education Minister Heng Swee Keat had said that there "may be some unevenness and misconceptions in the implementation of performance management which causes unnecessary stress" among teachers.

Responding to TODAY's queries, an MOE spokesperson said yesterday that the ministry is "currently in the process of reviewing the appraisal framework and implementation to ensure that it continues to meet the needs of the Education Service".

Teachers interviewed by TODAY felt that there could be more transparency in terms of how they are graded, as it will go towards determining their career progression opportunities.

Some also felt that teachers who are more active in leading or participating in non-curriculum activities could achieve a higher performance grade, even if more time was invested in teaching duties.

MOE gives schools guidelines on how teachers could be assessed - including indicators like teaching, and contributions to school and colleagues - and school leaders have the flexibility on how to implement them. While one school may assign weight to each criteria with teaching usually having the heaviest percentage, for instance, another school may consider all factors in totality. Even within the same component of teaching, some school leaders may consider the pedagogy that teachers use, while others may decide based on the academic performance of the students.

A Head of Department at a secondary school, who spoke on condition of anonymity, felt that the MOE could clearly spell out what it means for teachers to "go beyond what is required" for obligations outside the classroom.

While educators agreed that non-classroom activities are important for professional development or bonding with their pupils, they hoped that involvement in non-teaching tasks could be reduced.

One educator suggested: "To remove any ambiguity, schools could spell out the specific requirements at the start of each year so that teachers can be more assured of whether they are on track. It is also important to raise red flags early if teachers are not up to task."

School leaders told TODAY that, even if they had the discretion on teachers' assessment, schools have to adhere to MOE guidelines and only make tweaks according to student profiles.

Nan Chiau High School Principal Tan Yee Kan felt that it is time for the MOE to review the performance management of teachers, at a time when the teaching fraternity reaches a record 33,000 educators.

"As the education landscapes changes and demands on teachers are different now, it would be also good to consider and clearly lay out what is expected of teachers and the competencies they should have ... newer teachers would then also have a better idea," he said.

I feel there should be full-time non-academic teachers in every school preferably at least 4-5 of them to form a dept to take care of pe & cca instead of loading cca on the teachers. The form teacher may occasionally attend the cca as an observer to better understand her pupils and to share them with the cca teacher.

On performance appraisal, some weights should be given towards parents-teacher satisfaction and teacher-students rapport. (Majority parents and pupils are reasonable and are important stakeholders) It is not good to have schools given a hand in tweaking weight to each criteria with regards to teaching. It is open to abuse, especially when the principal is weak or ineffective.

MR06
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:42 pm

AceTutors123 wrote:Wow, very exciting changes coming from MOE.

It's about time that our big brass up there is kept in the loop...what nonsense the teachers do in class and how they teach.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Suz855 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 pm

It's about time the moe do something about the quality of the teachers.... Cross my fingers that the ineffective or cruising along one will gana wake up or kick out so that our children can learn effectively in school n not waste our money on tuition.

:)

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Suz855 wrote:It's about time the moe do something about the quality of the teachers.... Cross my fingers that the ineffective or cruising along one will gana wake up or kick out so that our children can learn effectively in school n not waste our money on tuition.

I had a bad experience with a Chinese tutor and that left me scarred for a long time.
I wanted very much to believe in our school teachers...that's why we send our kids to school.
When my son was in P5, his teachers just couldn't deliver and we did not know how to coach him either. My neighbor recommended me a wonderful Math tutor. In Jan this year (PSLE), we outsourced all 4 subjects. A wise move or my son would not be confident to face PSLE this Thursday.
That confidence is what he will be bringing to the exam hall, whatever his results are, I will be proud of the hard work he had put in these 9 months.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:56 pm

great move, MOE.. keep it up..

not that i'm condeming teachers, they have to do something to earn our respect!!

(i'm not referring to all teachers of cos, but a couple of them in fact)

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:14 pm

verykiasumummy wrote:great move, MOE.. keep it up..

not that i'm condeming teachers, they have to do something to earn our respect!!

Not all teachers are ridiculous...there are many who still deliver wonderful lessons.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:26 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:great move, MOE.. keep it up..

Not all teachers are ridiculous...there are many who still deliver wonderful lessons.

yes i agree, but rare..

as i mentioned earlier, if ex moe teacher goes out to open their own tuition or enrichment center, i would believe they are wonderful teachers who loves to teach.

if not most teachers quit from moe and proceed to other platforms..

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time