Alternative use for tuition

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Alternative use for tuition

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:57 pm

I was reading the write-up on tuition in the ST today. There were 2 sec level students who are doing well in their studies but opt for tuition so that they will be disciplined to study.

The article does not state if both had tuition when they were in primary school.

I was scared. I immediately worked with dd1 to get her set a schedule to learn her spelling and tingxie and let her take responsibility. I think to start small and gradually move on to bigger stuff like her many mini tests.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Alternative use for tuition

Postby Mychildren » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:20 pm

I do not want my children to have tuition when they're in secondary school.
Yes, self discipline is very important.
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:38 am

Well I know some bright sec school kids who ask for tuition so they can have access to good notes.

When I was in sec 3, I took bio and had no clue what the super cheem book was talking about. Luckily I had a friend who quietly told me about this fantastic alternate textbook. Went to buy the book and the bio world made sense after that, moral of story...sometime studying hard ain't going to help if one don't have good crutches to lean on.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Mychildren » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:01 am

hquek,

So they went for tuition for good materials, right?
OK, so I understand. Then parents are forever forking out $$. I remember my time, many no need tuition but maybe the richer ones & still manage to go through our 'O's. However, I got some extra books for Literature & A Math, sourced by myself & with my own earned pocket $.
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:04 am

hquek wrote:Well I know some bright sec school kids who ask for tuition so they can have access to good notes.

If they are bright, they should be able to compile their own notes! I feel it's a failure of the Singapore education system that handouts are seen to be so significant in boosting performance. What are these kids going to do when tasked to do something in the workplace - ask for notes? If so, they can never do any new or creative because the 'notes' won't exist.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mychildren » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:06 am

slmkhoo wrote:
hquek wrote:Well I know some bright sec school kids who ask for tuition so they can have access to good notes.

If they are bright, they should be able to compile their own notes! I feel it's a failure of the Singapore education system that handouts are seen to be so significant in boosting performance. What are these kids going to do when tasked to do something in the workplace - ask for notes? If so, they can never do any new or creative because the 'notes' won't exist.

Well said! :lol:
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:11 am

Mychildren wrote:hquek,

So they went for tuition for good materials, right?
OK, so I understand. Then parents are forever forking out $$. I remember my time, many no need tuition but maybe the richer ones & still manage to go through our 'O's. However, I got some extra books for Literature & A Math, sourced by myself & with my own earned pocket $.

A friend's son is in IP school (Sec 1). I thought once the child is done with PSLE and moves on to sec school, this thing called tuition is not necessary or very minimal. Unfortunately, my friend's son needs help with English and Science. Literature, comprehension and situational writing is tough. :sweat:
When will parents not need to fork out money for tuition then?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby alng » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:28 am

janet_lee88 wrote:
A friend's son is in IP school (Sec 1). I thought once the child is done with PSLE and moves on to sec school, this thing called tuition is not necessary or very minimal. Unfortunately, my friend's son needs help with English and Science. Literature, comprehension and situational writing is tough. :sweat:

When the child learns how to learn independently, there is no need for tuition. But it is a chicken and egg issue here. Parents send their children to tuition because their children cannot learn independently. But if the option of tuition is not removed, the child is not motivated to learn independently. So at some point, I feel that parents have to let go and let the children learn on their own. Of course, I am not suggesting to let go at critical years like PSLE and O levels.

In the past, students were more attentive in classes, took a more active role in learning and be responsible for their own learning. There was no need for tuition then. The only tuition I had was tuition at PSLE year undertaken by the Singapore Teachers' Union. My own teachers were tutoring me three times a week in the evenings in school. This is like the supplementary classes that schools are conducting now. We were more attentive in classes because we knew that if we were not attentive, we would have a hard time trying to get that knowledge. Internet was not available yet and our parents had no extra money for tuition.

Today, students could afford to be less attentive in classes. They could turn to their parents, internet and tutors for help. They rely too much on tutors and model answers. Sad to say that at workplace, there is no model solutions to work problems.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lilac66 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:56 am

alng wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:

In the past, students were more attentive in classes, took a more active role in learning and be responsible for their own learning. There was no need for tuition then. The only tuition I had was tuition at PSLE year undertaken by the Singapore Teachers' Union. My own teachers were tutoring me three times a week in the evenings in school. This is like the supplementary classes that schools are conducting now. We were more attentive in classes because we knew that if we were not attentive, we would have a hard time trying to get that knowledge. Internet was not available yet and our parents had no extra money for tuition.

Today, students could afford to be less attentive in classes. They could turn to their parents, internet and tutors for help. They rely too much on tutors and model answers. Sad to say that at workplace, there is no model solutions to work problems.

Agree esp the part in red as it's also my observation. But then again, the teachers have a part to play as the teaching should not be based on the assumption that most have tuition. I'm glad HSK has realised this and covered this aspect in his speech. :smile:

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:36 pm

The article and discussion reminds me that need to prepare kids with study skills such as research skills, know how to make own notes, critical thinking skills. I need to take a deep breath now. :imdrowning:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time