General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:20

Re: Alternative use for tuition

Post by Chenonceau » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:48 pm

verykiasumummy wrote:
Chenonceau wrote: :snuggles: :snuggles: I'm bad at Math and Science. I don't even try to read up. I make DS do it instead and smile at him when he explains to me. I'm good at English though... 98th percentile of GMAT global norms... BUT hor... when I wrote a compo for DS to pass up, I only scored 28/40.

So... yeah... I understand how you feel.

of cos, our standards were outdated liao...

my god, u help ur ds write compo?? is there such a need?

Hahahahaha! No lah... my DS can write quite well... I just wanted to see my own standard vis-a-vis the PSLE.. so I asked him to pass up my work. Here is my DS' writing - http://www.littleboyscompositions.blogspot.sg. He doesn't need me to write for him.

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:23

Post by verykiasumummy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:14 pm

wow ur ds writes so well... i wish my ds were this good last yr... goodness!!

did u coach him urself?? to me, languages are the most difficult to coach... i can spend time on math n sci cracking my brains and referring to books and more books, but not for eng and chi...

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:
u may find it ridiculous, but that makes the difference with other countries' education system.. why so many neighbouring countries strive to come to sg to study? because of the system as well...

My guess is that (especially for Math), th SG system test beyond the kids' age for pr school.

Many foreigners believe in SG education. Our Math standard is tough.
There are many parents who may be degree holders but have problems understanding the problem sums. Difficulty level has been brought down. Certain topics my P6 son learnt at mid-primary is taught at P2 now. When my daughter goes to P3 next year, I dread to think of reading up lower block Science to start all over with her again.

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by verykiasumummy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:38 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:
u may find it ridiculous, but that makes the difference with other countries' education system.. why so many neighbouring countries strive to come to sg to study? because of the system as well...

My guess is that (especially for Math), th SG system test beyond the kids' age for pr school.

Many foreigners believe in SG education. Our Math standard is tough.
There are many parents who may be degree holders but have problems understanding the problem sums. Difficulty level has been brought down. Certain topics my P6 son learnt at mid-primary is taught at P2 now. When my daughter goes to P3 next year, I dread to think of reading up lower block Science to start all over with her again.

yes this is so true... i think most parents know it but we couldnt do much to help except to study with them....

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:46 pm

My hubby said he likes Math and has aced it during his school years. But now faced with son's primary school Math, he said he gave up :slapshead:
He will be taking few days leave to 'coach' son for his PSLE. What he will be doing is accompany son. At least better than me...absolutely know nothing.

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by verykiasumummy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:54 pm

this is how noble parents are... parents make the best teachers for their kids...