Alternative use for tuition

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:245

Re: Alternative use for tuition

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:35 pm

verykiasumummy wrote:but i feel it is good training for pri students too... in a way, so they wouldnt be just sticking to the text n refuse to do assmt books...
But why should they be doing assessment books? It's a highly Singaporean thing that I believe grew out of the gap left by inadequate textbooks and teachers not covering the full range of material. If the textbooks contain enough, and teachers teach all of it, then there will be no need for additional materials. I see no reason to do assessment books for assessment books' sake. If a child has interest and time, there are lots of other reading and activities to do rather than assessment books.

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:23

Post by verykiasumummy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:but i feel it is good training for pri students too... in a way, so they wouldnt be just sticking to the text n refuse to do assmt books...
But why should they be doing assessment books? It's a highly Singaporean thing that I believe grew out of the gap left by inadequate textbooks and teachers not covering the full range of material. If the textbooks contain enough, and teachers teach all of it, then there will be no need for additional materials. I see no reason to do assessment books for assessment books' sake. If a child has interest and time, there are lots of other reading and activities to do rather than assessment books.
u may find it ridiculous, but that makes the difference with other countries' education system.. why so many neighbouring countries strive to come to sg to study? because of the system as well...

no doubts there is no absolute right or wrong in this, just different points of views, but learning is a process that should be nurtured young...

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:163

Post by Nebbermind » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:43 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Think Chen has a thread on this sometme back...
Last edited by Nebbermind on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Nebbermind » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:46 pm

verykiasumummy wrote:
u may find it ridiculous, but that makes the difference with other countries' education system.. why so many neighbouring countries strive to come to sg to study? because of the system as well...

no doubts there is no absolute right or wrong in this, just different points of views, but learning is a process that should be nurtured young...
My guess is that (especially for Math), th SG system test beyond the kids' age for pr school.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:245

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:50 pm

verykiasumummy wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:

Yes, I know that other people have different points of view. I am living in an country where the 'practise, practise, practise' method of education is the norm, and my opinion is that they are producing too many adults who have not learned to think or to learn independently. I'm not too sure whether foreigners come to Singapore because of the education system so much as the language of education - English. It's the only country in this part of the world where English is used as the main medium of instruction, and is probably seen to be the stepping stone to western countries.

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by verykiasumummy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:

My guess is that (especially for Math), th SG system test beyond the kids' age for pr school.
both math n sci in fact...

i was one of the tops for sci back in my days... i thought the pri syllabus couldnt be of any challenge to me untill my eldest ds few yrs back when he was going thru his test paper with me... it all got so different, and i really made a very hard effort to read up on all those reference, guides, texts all over again to get to the bottom of what the kids are doing these days... really hard!!!

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:21

Post by Chenonceau » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
slmkhoo wrote: But why should they be doing assessment books? It's a highly Singaporean thing that I believe grew out of the gap left by inadequate textbooks and teachers not covering the full range of material. If the textbooks contain enough, and teachers teach all of it, then there will be no need for additional materials. I see no reason to do assessment books for assessment books' sake. If a child has interest and time, there are lots of other reading and activities to do rather than assessment books.
Think Chen has a thread on this sometme back...
Hah? I do? Anyway... I think I only pushed the thinking as far as inadequate textbooks. I dun think I wrote much about assessment books except that most are mind numbingly BORING and that I could never bring myself to get my kids to do assessment books because I would fall asleep marking them!!

I completely agree with the part in red too.
Last edited by Chenonceau on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:21

Post by Chenonceau » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:12 pm

verykiasumummy wrote:

i was one of the tops for sci back in my days... i thought the pri syllabus couldnt be of any challenge to me untill my eldest ds few yrs back when he was going thru his test paper with me... it all got so different, and i really made a very hard effort to read up on all those reference, guides, texts all over again to get to the bottom of what the kids are doing these days... really hard!!!
:snuggles: :snuggles: I'm bad at Math and Science. I don't even try to read up. I make DS do it instead and smile at him when he explains to me. I'm good at English though... 98th percentile of GMAT global norms... BUT hor... when I wrote a compo for DS to pass up, I only scored 28/40.

So... yeah... I understand how you feel.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Nebbermind » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Chenonceau wrote:
Hah? I do? Anyway... I think I only pushed the thinking as far as inadequate textbooks. I dun think I wrote much about assessment books except that most are mind numbingly BORING and that I could never bring myself to get my kids to do assessment books because I would fall asleep marking them!!

I completely agree with the part in red too.
Yes, the inadequate textbooks part only.

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by verykiasumummy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:43 pm

Chenonceau wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:

:snuggles: :snuggles: I'm bad at Math and Science. I don't even try to read up. I make DS do it instead and smile at him when he explains to me. I'm good at English though... 98th percentile of GMAT global norms... BUT hor... when I wrote a compo for DS to pass up, I only scored 28/40.

So... yeah... I understand how you feel.
of cos, our standards were outdated liao...

my god, u help ur ds write compo?? is there such a need?