"shocked and horrified at how bad many [state schools] were"

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

"shocked and horrified at how bad many [state schools] were"

Postby AceTutors123 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:07 am

In the 1990s, as an education correspondent for the Financial Times newspaper and then as an adviser to Tony Blair, Lord Andrew Adonis says he systematically visited schools - and was "shocked and horrified at how bad many comprehensives* were".

"Not just that they were providing a poor standard of education, but that they were unsafe for children, bullying was rife, there could be very little proper control, teachers who had virtually no interest in the classroom, let alone outside."

He recalls that on one school visit he was locked in an office because the staff wouldn't allow him to walk around when the pupils were there.

And he argues that progress has been held back by the lack of direct personal investment in state education by those making the decisions.

"One of the biggest problems in education for the past two generations is that so many ministers making decisions about state education have not themselves either been to state schools or sent their children to them.

"I think it's frankly thoroughly undesirable to have ministers of education who don't send their own children to state schools because they don't feel a sense of personal or moral responsibility for the decisions they're making."

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19577559

P.S. *A comprehensive school is a state school that does not select its intake on the basis of academic achievement or aptitude.
Let not our schools end up like state schools in Britain please!!

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: "shocked and horrified at how bad many [state schools] w

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:40 am

That is in the UK, not Singapore
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:51 am

how much is school fees per month or per Term in these "state schools" in Britain ?
if cheap, maybe nobody bother the standard taught there.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:58 am

phtthp wrote:how much is school fees per month or per Term in these "state schools" in Britain ?

I think they are totally free. Even textbooks are provided.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MR06 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:05 am

slmkhoo wrote:
phtthp wrote:how much is school fees per month or per Term in these "state schools" in Britain ?

I think they are totally free. Even textbooks are provided.

Why nobody bother? The parents don't care? :?

We pay a nominal sum towards school fee in Singapore, though we paid for the books. Look at how active KSP website is.

I can only think "Nobody = Politicians, Policy Makers"

MR06
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby AceTutors123 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:08 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:That is in the UK, not Singapore

Do you see the elements of similarity and possible future similarities?
- Ministers normally send their children to top or affiliated schools
- Calls to scrap PSLE away, thus rendering entry to be non-merit based

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nms1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:30 am

I grew up in the UK and it is exactly as the report says. There were a few areas which retained selection for secondary schools through the 11+ exams; in general, the standard of education was better in those areas where children were allocated to either a "secondary modern" school for the less academic ones or a "grammar school" for the more academic. This was the only streaming; you just went to the one nearest to where you lived so there was no further ranking of the schools after that.

The comprehensive schools generally just ended up pulling everyone down to the lowest common denominator rather than bringing everyone up to a higher level.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby phtthp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:59 am

MR06 wrote:Why nobody bother? The parents don't care? :?

We pay a nominal sum towards school fee in Singapore, though we paid for the books. Look at how active KSP website is.

I can only think "Nobody = Politicians, Policy Makers"

But England very big. Singapore small.
how they control or standardize quality of Education over such big country-
by county, by province, by town, by each state ?

i heard in some schools, British students speak poor English.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 pm

I think it would be suitable to post this here. These are REAL cases.

Much has been said about unreasonable & demanding parents. What about teachers ?
Not all parents demand 1-1 extra coaching or ignore repeated calls to bring kids for hair cut and then make a big mountain like filing report against the minister.

Allow me to mention what teachers do:
1) bring work to class and mark during curriculum time.
2) tell parents that if they find doing loads of past year paper for PSLE excessive, they will bear responsibility if kids do not finish.
3) Poor classroom management. If any student is hurt, then his/her parent can fight it out with the other classmate's parent themselves.
OR if the student is not happy when his classmates shoot rubber bands at each other, then complain directly to the principal.
4) A student scored 82 for prelim...highest in the class is 88. Yet teacher says student's grade is below average.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:38 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:I think it would be suitable to post this here. These are REAL cases.

Much has been said about unreasonable & demanding parents. What about teachers ?
Not all parents demand 1-1 extra coaching or ignore repeated calls to bring kids for hair cut and then make a big mountain like filing report against the minister.

Allow me to mention what teachers do:
1) bring work to class and mark during curriculum time.
2) tell parents that if they find doing loads of past year paper for PSLE excessive, they will bear responsibility if kids do not finish.
3) Poor classroom management. If any student is hurt, then his/her parent can fight it out with the other classmate's parent themselves.
OR if the student is not happy when his classmates shoot rubber bands at each other, then complain directly to the principal.
4) A student scored 82 for prelim...highest in the class is 88. Yet teacher says student's grade is below average.

we cant say all teachers are bad, based on isolated cases, similarly, not all parents are like haircut mum.

1. if students doing compo, the teacher should be able to mark books. i think this will be just fair to them.
2. not all sch ask students to do loads n loads.. but again, some parents feel pain to see their kids still doing hw in late night so they make remarks like tat.. i'm a parent and i make such comments sometimes but i dun really mean it.
3. teachers should not be involved in such trivial matters, esp with boys, they like to disturb each other and never ending!! they say things like who start first so must take revenge, pls la.. i see this so frequently... i'll be angry if the teacher probe into it and leave the class alone...
4. i dunno why the teacher say this, but it could be due to higher expectations of the student so as to encourage him... i mean, i dunno la, but who knows other than the real parties involved...?

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time