Quit job or not

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Quit job or not

Postby KoalaMummy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:36 pm

What do you think?

My friend has been working in this small, local company for almost 4 months now (her probation is 3 months) and still she's not confirmed yet. She told me that her boss said recently that she finds that my friend is not suitable to work in the company, says that my friend is not a help to her. (but for the past 2 months when she was there, her boss thinks quite highly of her, even hints that my friend can be promoted if she worked there long enough.) She says don't know why recently her boss's impression of her change. She did not do make any mistakes in her work. But her boss seem don't want to confirm her and ask her to think about it, whether she wants to work there or not. Of course, my friend wants to work there. She loves her work, the office environment etc. She has been trying to talk to her boss re her confirmation but was kept brushing away by her boss saying that she's not free to talk to my friend about it and giving her the cold shoulders these few days. My friend ask me if she should start looking for a job. My answer to her is wait for the boss to talk to her first. Since she like the job, she should not just quit like that. Am i right in advising her this? Just want to hear your views here.

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Quit job or not

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:46 pm

if boss dun appreciates her hard work... no point waiting too...

can wait but at the same time keep a lookout?

how much she love the job? dun hv to sacrifice until like tat right? it sounds like the boss is the lover and suddenly gives her cold shoulder... a job is still only a job..

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Personally I feel that while waiting to talk to the boss, maybe she should start to look around. There is no harm...

On the other hand, if the boss has such tendancy to behave the way she is acting... (eg. sudden like and dislike, not transparent, etc..) I personally think people like that are not professional.... cannot stand the thought of working for such people in the long run.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:57 pm

ya the boss is not suited to be a good boss... sounds like got mood swings... serious ones...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:34 pm

KoalaMummy wrote:What do you think?

My friend has been working in this small, local company for almost 4 months now (her probation is 3 months) and still she's not confirmed yet. She told me that her boss said recently that she finds that my friend is not suitable to work in the company, says that my friend is not a help to her. (but for the past 2 months when she was there, her boss thinks quite highly of her, even hints that my friend can be promoted if she worked there long enough.) She says don't know why recently her boss's impression of her change. She did not do make any mistakes in her work. But her boss seem don't want to confirm her and ask her to think about it, whether she wants to work there or not. Of course, my friend wants to work there. She loves her work, the office environment etc. She has been trying to talk to her boss re her confirmation but was kept brushing away by her boss saying that she's not free to talk to my friend about it and giving her the cold shoulders these few days. My friend ask me if she should start looking for a job. My answer to her is wait for the boss to talk to her first. Since she like the job, she should not just quit like that. Am i right in advising her this? Just want to hear your views here.

Maybe can check with your friend if any incidents had happened that caused the change in attitude of boss towards her. Meanwhile, it is time to start looking. Prolonging such a relationship will only make things worse. Sometimes, liking the environment is one thing. Need to face it that it needs both hands to clap.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KoalaMummy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks for all your replies. But now is end of the year, would it be difficult for her to get a job? She's not one who likes to job hob. It will not look nice on her resume. She has a family to feed. Her husband also don't want her to quit. She wanted to ask her boss to extend her contract till Jan/Feb next year. So that it will be easier for her to get a job then.

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby august24 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:55 pm

If the probation is 3 months and your friend is not given any extension of probation letter after the said 3 months, she is deemed confirmed on the job. By the way, why would the boss need to extend her contract till next Jan/Feb? Is this a contract job? If it is, then the boss can choose not to renew the contract.

Your friend might not have done any mistakes but the boss may feel that she is a misfit from inputs from other colleagues or from what he/she observes? Your friend should find the right time to talk to the boss and find out what's wrong. If the talk fails, she may try to request to quit only after having successfully finding a job. Bosses are not unreasonable. However, if they are, they are not worth working for anyway.

august24
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby concern2 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:58 pm

KoalaMummy wrote:Thanks for all your replies. But now is end of the year, would it be difficult for her to get a job? She's not one who likes to job hob. It will not look nice on her resume. She has a family to feed. Her husband also don't want her to quit. She wanted to ask her boss to extend her contract till Jan/Feb next year. So that it will be easier for her to get a job then.

Oh, she's working on contract basis? If it is hard for her to look for a job at year-end, it'll be similar hard for her boss to find a replacement. She could try. Also can try asking why she isn't suitable for the job, but be prepared to take criticisms, since she asks for it. I just feel that since her boss had been so outright, she should not hesitate too much。 关系搞砸的话, 后果可能会更僵。

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KoalaMummy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:02 pm

She's not on contract. She is a full time staff. Her boss suddenly, recently says that she's a mis-match. She don't know why the sudden change. Her boss doesn't want to talk much and brush her aside. BTW, her boss is a PRC...

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kaka » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Start finding another job. No matter how she likes the environment, if the boss does not appreciate her work, she would not be happy and secure. Her boss already said it's a mis-match ... how to have future?

kaka
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time