Do you feel that your child does not fit in this system?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you feel that your child does not fit in this system?

Postby mahes_gopal » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi parents do you feel that your child does not fit in this system? I have a eleven year who is high in IQ but is in foundation stream as he just cannot do well in exams. He just cannot bring himself to do written work and exams within time limit. He is still careless with written work and no matter how hard he wants to try cannot perform well in written exams. But this child's science and general knowledge is way above any other child or adult I know of. Even the psychologist who tested him said so. Well ultimate conclusion was he does not fit in an exam based system he will definitely shine in a project based system. During his free time he will do his own little projects and presentations for his own sake and cares two hoots about written school worksheets. Mind it this child has been coxed, begged, caned, punished everything. But remains the same. Well I have no choice but to wait for the day he can go overseas or find a project based system where he will enjoy learning. :roll:
Anyone else has a kid like this?

mahes_gopal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Do you feel that your child does not fit in this system?

Postby Joule » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:16 pm

I don't have a kid like that and my kid is too young to show this signs....touch wood she won't be like me....the person that is like your kid.....is me. Unfortunately.

1) I don't like doing homework, never ever did any, only did it reluctantly when teachers threatened to minus marks and I would be failing that subject. Apart from that....heck la!

2) In primary school I was devouring encyclopedias and never read storybooks. As a result I had a LOT of 'useless' general knowledge. There was a set for children. it was a set of 10 topics from mathematics to biology. I read them all.

3) I did a science project (something to prove/disprove an urban legend) in secondary school that was handed up 2 weeks overdue but still topped the level

4) I can speed-read. Never really formally tested but probably a significant amount faster than others in my level. My secondary school teacher caught me one day during silent reading session and said Joule! You're not reading, you're just glancing through. Hello, I can't help it I'm so fast, ok?

5) I threw away the teacher's worksheets esp in Science and Math and studied by myself from textbooks. During normal classes I would be daydreaming. During exam time....BOOM. From 50-60 percent in CAs to 80 - 90 /100. Gave my grading math teachers a shock. by the end of the 2nd year, they would be going....ah....he's like that one...such a weirdo.

6) Never remembered paying attention in class, ever in Sec school. mostly studied only from textbook and maybe libraries.

What I wish to say is....
Well I have no choice but to wait for the day he can go overseas or find a project based system where he will enjoy learning.

Well tough luck, you're in Singapore. If you have the means to go, best of luck. The SG system does prize one thing - discipline and conformity. Means doing stuff you don't like to do.

Which translates to: meeting deadlines, and turning up for work on time and working with 'others' (who may be less smart or just dont give a poop) Which is what your kid would might or might not be practicing if he were in a 'project-based-system' and just being you know....normal?

I really had a tough time in the first 2 jobs of mine because I was not disciplined. Cant turn up to work on time, wishy washy with deadlines, yes, I had the means to produce stuff other people can't (through research and the odd bit of software piracy) but I'm not a prodigy or even high IQ enough to get into gifted. Anyway I'mma gonna sound really harsh but you can't expect the world to bend over for your kid just because he's the brightest spark around. Working life would beat the cr@p out of him.

Your job as a parent is to equip him for working life which means he should be ready to start, at the lowest denominator if necessary. In Singapore, that means a certificate of some sorts. He can't get a cert if he's THAT off the charts.

I'm really pretty tired right now and I'm semi coherent but what seriously do you want for your kid?

Sorry for the singlish. I won't be able to reply for the next few days. There are a lot of other parents here who are smarter than I and probably more qualified to speak about it. I just thought of myself as first hand experience.

oh, finally, this reminds me of that line in I Not Stupid - "Go overseas! And the n come back as Foreign Talent!"

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:16 pm

How old is your child?

Postby MR06 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:25 pm

ksi wrote:How old is your child?

:rotflmao: your avatar :laugh: reminds me of a photo of my bro....

MR06
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ruohoo97 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:57 am

mahes_gopal wrote:Hi parents do you feel that your child does not fit in this system? I have a eleven year who is high in IQ but is in foundation stream as he just cannot do well in exams. He just cannot bring himself to do written work and exams within time limit. He is still careless with written work and no matter how hard he wants to try cannot perform well in written exams. But this child's science and general knowledge is way above any other child or adult I know of. Even the psychologist who tested him said so. Well ultimate conclusion was he does not fit in an exam based system he will definitely shine in a project based system. During his free time he will do his own little projects and presentations for his own sake and cares two hoots about written school worksheets. Mind it this child has been coxed, begged, caned, punished everything. But remains the same. Well I have no choice but to wait for the day he can go overseas or find a project based system where he will enjoy learning. :roll:
Anyone else has a kid like this?

You may consider to homeschool him. You have do some researches, but I am sure you should be able to find one or another programs that suit him.

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:02 am

MR06 wrote:
ksi wrote:How old is your child?

:rotflmao: your avatar :laugh: reminds me of a photo of my bro....

Oh...your brother must go and claim copyright already...maybe his photo leaked to the Internet... kekeke

:imsorry: :offtopic:

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:02 am

Does your child have any learning disabilities like dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD, ASD etc that could get in the way of 'ordinary' school? And how old is your child?

I have a girl, now 15yo, who has Asperger's, dyspraxia, attention/focus difficulties, low working memory and slow processing speed. She is quite high in reasoning abilities, but also struggles with exams and homework. We have been overseas all her school life, so she has been fortunate to be spared the intense exam-based system in Singapore, and has had fairly sympathetic teachers. Since grade 7, she has been doing 'internet school' supervised by me and the school teachers. This allows her to type instead of write (since writing is an issue), some flexibility in timing and has spared her the PSLE and 'O' levels. However, given that we feel she does have the capacity to do a university/poly course eventually, we are planning to have her take 'A' levels at the appropriate time and see where we go from there. We hope that by that time, she will have learned to cope better with normal school requirements. We aren't sure if that's going to work, but that's the plan!

I have been a SAHM all her life and closely supervised her, much more than most kids need. We have trained and coaxed her into mostly complying with school requirements, and accepted that she cannot shine in exams. Maybe because she's a girl, she is compliant and will usually do what we ask, even if she doesn't like it or do it well, and over the years, she seems to be slowly getting better at 'school' requirements. Maybe you can also consider some kind of homeschooling or self study system for your son?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Laura02 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:35 am

I agree with many of the suggestions given above. Besides that, if you want to further encourage and develop his interest in science, why not join the Nature Society of Singapore if he is interested in Biology, or join a robotics club if he is more into physics. Let him find our for himself what skill sets he will need to persue his passion. I believe the grades will naturally follow from there.

Laura02
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ammonite » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:32 am

Yes, I have a kid like that. He is 2e, high iq with learning issues. It has been a tough journey, but we are learning to cope. Ups and downs, but these days more ups than downs. Homeschooling is a viable option for us.

I think simkhoo's advice on checking for learning issues is a good one. Especially for borderline cases, they can be overlooked. And if your son is high iq, he will be able to compensate to a certain extent so it is not obvious, but it is very taxing for the child. Does he have very uneven performance? Eg sometimes can, sometimes cannot? This is very common among 2e children. My son can do in the morning, just can in the afternoon, ready to cry at night.

Does he daydream chronically? But have good attention span for his own passions? I see this as partly poor match of materials to knowledge, and also habitual. Gotta psycho, give timer. My son discovers that he works much faster with a sandclock - but this is after he received some help for handwriting. He needs more help for this actually, but for now, good enough.

Don't let your son drift downwards. He can be helped, encouraged, bolstered! Try to suss out underlying causes, and you may also need to work on motivation. Remind him to look long term beyond PSLE, talk about future jobs and what he likes and what it takes to get there. Research different school systems and curriculum. If he is 2e, there are online resources to google.

And yes, it is time to get him into outside organizations to build on his strengths for science etc. this could be his ticket out and up.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:36 am

His child is 11 years old. Stated in the first line.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time