China's 'left behind' children growing up without parents

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

China's 'left behind' children growing up without parents

Postby AceTutors123 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 am

For many people in China, the mid-autumn festival and National Day holiday, falling within days of each other this year, means a week off work and a chance to spend time with friends and family.

But for millions of China's migrant workers, this is a working week like any other.

Many of them have young children back in their villages and do not see them for months or even years on end.

One Beijing organisation, the All China Women's Federation, estimates there are some 58m of these "left behind children".

This is the story of just one girl, Tang Xiaoqian from Anhui province in central China.

Video http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19787240

This is so sad! We're so much luckier in comparison

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: China's 'left behind' children growing up without parent

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:30 pm

TakGol wrote:We should be glad that we live in Singapore. But they do all that because they want their children to know the competition in the world and make them study lots and lots of stuff.

I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion. I live in China, and I see so many adults leave their kids behind because they can't make a living from their farming alone, there are few jobs in the countryside, and the schools in the cities where they are going to work will not take the kids from the countryside. The kids are left in the village schools (often poorly staffed and supplied) because otherwise they would get no education at all.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:40 pm

TakGol wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
TakGol wrote:We should be glad that we live in Singapore. But they do all that because they want their children to know the competition in the world and make them study lots and lots of stuff.

I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion. I live in China, and I see so many adults leave their kids behind because they can't make a living from their farming alone, there are few jobs in the countryside, and the schools in the cities where they are going to work will not take the kids from the countryside. The kids are left in the village schools (often poorly staffed and supplied) because otherwise they would get no education at all.

Kay. Sorry if it is an offence, but thats somehow I think since they need to study ( like us) . :imsorry:

I think you are confusing these kids with accounts of highly-stressed students in Chinese schools (mainly in towns and cities) who slog like mad, even worse than Singapore. Both are true.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:29 pm

no matter what the reason... the kids must hv felt bad w/o their parents with them... being in a community of so many of such kids similar to each other doesnt make them feel any better...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Melodies » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Err.. I thought our children are also having steep competition here!! :laugh: You meant we do not make our children study lots of stuffs? :?
Whole SG nation go for tuition already lo. :nailbite: :sick: :faint:

Melodies
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:23 pm

i think what she meant was that competition for these prc is in terms of survival, while sg is in terms of education...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:57 pm

So why have kids in the first place?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AceTutors123 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Oppsgal wrote:So why have kids in the first place?

lol of course its to 传宗接代

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:04 pm

:roll:

If the reason is that, think better don't have kids to "suffer".

I think the kids very poor thing.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Melodies » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:22 pm

I think Asian kids are very poor thing as compared to their Westerner counterparts! :sad: :cry: :slapshead:
Melodies
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time