How to borrow ebooks from National libraries

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How to borrow ebooks from National libraries

Postby lapapillion » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Folks, you know these days there are so many ipads, tablets, smartphones floating around the market, it'll be a waste not to be able to utiltise the ability of such gadgets to read books.

You can actually borrow ebooks from our very own national libraries! :D I've done it quite a few times so if you need any help, feel free to PM me :) There are all sorts from young adult fiction (harry potter included!) as well as more interactive books (those that reads out loud and with interactive pictures and media) for younger children!

The instructions for it is actually quite lengthy, so I'll just post a link here for those interested:

http://bullythebear.blogspot.sg/2012/08/how-to-borrow-ebooks-from-nlb.html

lapapillion
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 pm
Total Likes: 2
1 people like this post


Re: How to borrow ebooks from National libraries

Postby 3Boys » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Mucho gracias!

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:28 pm
Total Likes: 220


Re: How to borrow ebooks from National libraries

Postby lapapillion » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:32 pm

No problemo :)

lapapillion
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: How to borrow ebooks from National libraries

Postby ammonite » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:33 am

Oh wonderful! Just what I am looking for, thanks!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2211
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am
Total Likes: 64


Re: How to borrow ebooks from National libraries

Postby tired mom » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:47 am

If you are using handheld device, can also download the app "overdrive media console". just follow the instructions in the app, borrowing ebooks is a breeze with this!

tired mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:05 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: How to borrow ebooks from National libraries

Postby lapapillion » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:27 am

Yes yes, overdrive app is very gd, though I prefer reading on dedicated ebook device like kindle ;) more easy on the eye

lapapillion
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: How to borrow ebooks from National libraries

Postby schweppes » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 am

thanks for sharing!!

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 5811
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:56 pm
Total Likes: 66


Re: How to borrow ebooks from National libraries

Postby schweppes » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 am

tired mom wrote:If you are using handheld device, can also download the app "overdrive media console". just follow the instructions in the app, borrowing ebooks is a breeze with this!


so, with this app,

- do u mean we can borrow/ download the ebooks from NLB easily?
- are there expiry dates for NLB ebooks?
- do we have to pay any fees for the downloads per book?

tks

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 5811
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:56 pm
Total Likes: 66


Re: How to borrow ebooks from National libraries

Postby lapapillion » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:09 am

schweppes wrote:
so, with this app,

- do u mean we can borrow/ download the ebooks from NLB easily?
- are there expiry dates for NLB ebooks?
- do we have to pay any fees for the downloads per book?

tks


Maybe I can answer some of the q? :D I don't have the app, but I'm sure that it applies to the app as well. It's definitely easier to borrow ebooks from NLB, because you don't have to make the physical trip there. Browsing can also be done online at the comfort of your own home.

There is expiry date for the NLB books. It's 21 days, if I rmb correctly. After 21 days, you can't read it anymore as it has a DRM (digital rights management) lock on it.

No fees are required. Just your free library membership will do :)
Last edited by lapapillion on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

lapapillion
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: How to borrow ebooks from National libraries

Postby schweppes » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:21 am

lapapillion wrote:
schweppes wrote:
so, with this app,

- do u mean we can borrow/ download the ebooks from NLB easily?
- are there expiry dates for NLB ebooks?
- do we have to pay any fees for the downloads per book?

tks


Maybe I can answer some of the q? :D I don't have the app, but I'm sure that it applies to the app as well. It's definitely easier to borrow ebooks from NLB, because you don't have to make the physical trip there. Browsing can also be done online at the comfort of your own home.

There is expiry date for the NLB books. It's 21 days, if I rmb correctly. After 21 days, you can't read it anymore as it has a DRM (digital rights management) lock on it.

No fees are required. As your free membership will do :)


oh goody, that's great to know. :thankyou: lapapillion :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 5811
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:56 pm
Total Likes: 66


Next

Return to Recess Time