Our SG Conversation

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How sincere is the government in capturing our views for action?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:19 am

Not sincere (they gather views and then they do exactly what they had first intended)
14%
Sincere (they have recently made important changes to address citizens' concerns)
64%
Donno if sincere or not lah! See first lor...
23%

Total votes : 22

Our SG Conversation

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:19 am

I took part in the first Our SG Conversation (for citizens) on Saturday 13th October. I blogged about my experience here - http://petunialee.blogspot.sg/2012/10/o ... ation.html

KSP-ers have well formed views. We don't always agree but we do have well-formed views. It appears that the government is interested to capture and analyze these views for discussion and perhaps later action.

The government may not know who you are because we all evolve here under nicks... so it may not be able to send an invitation to all here who have well-formed and constructive perspectives to share. Hence, after reading about my experience, I do hope that many KSP-ers, with well-formed views, will sign up for the next few citizen conversations.

The government did not ask me to post this. I did it because I had a quite nice experience and I think it is good to speak up now instead of later so that changes don't get locked into a shape we don't want.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Re: Our SG Conversation

Postby 3Boys » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:38 am

Chenonceau wrote:I took part in the first Our SG Conversation (for citizens) on Saturday 13th October. I blogged about my experience here - http://petunialee.blogspot.sg/2012/10/o ... ation.html

KSP-ers have well formed views. We don't always agree but we do have well-formed views. It appears that the government is interested to capture and analyze these views for discussion and perhaps later action.

The government may not know who you are because we all evolve here under nicks... so it may not be able to send an invitation to all here who have well-formed and constructive perspectives to share. Hence, after reading about my experience, I do hope that many KSP-ers, with well-formed views, will sign up for the next few citizen conversations.

The government did not ask me to post this. I did it because I had a quite nice experience and I think it is good to speak up now instead of later so that changes don't get locked into a shape we don't want.

Ha Ha! Good for you! It is certainly a different political scene these days and hats off to the PAP for their political astuteness.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:15 am

:wink:

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PiggyLalala » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:36 am

Why only 4 pple voted?

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 am

Hee hee! Quite cute. No one voted insincere.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks for sharing, Chen. I enjoyed reading your blog post too. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby limlim » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:17 am

Sometimes.. it's not that the policies are no good in principle.. but maybe they need some tuning..

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:23 am

limlim wrote:Sometimes.. it's not that the policies are no good in principle.. but maybe they need some tuning..

limlim... you have intelligent things to say. Go and sign up on their website. Just make sure you don't sign up on the same day as 3boys... :laugh: :laugh:

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lilac66 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:26 am

Chenonceau wrote:
limlim wrote:Sometimes.. it's not that the policies are no good in principle.. but maybe they need some tuning..

limlim... you have intelligent things to say. Go and sign up on their website. Just make sure you don't sign up on the same day as 3boys... :laugh: :laugh:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: Also sign up when pirate is out at sea..

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Laura02 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks Chenonceau for posting your impression on Our SG Conversation.
I attended one of MOE's dilogue session recently. They gathered about 30 of parents from all over Sg, some with Pri kids, some with Sec or JC kids, and split us into 3 groups. Except for a married couple, I think that no other 2 persons had kids in the same school. Our topic for the night was : Teachers.
One of the things that struck me that night was the diversity of views and opinions from different parents. For instance, one dad wanted a return of the strict teachers he remembered from his Pri sch days. Another mom queried why the teachers were so strict to her P1 kids, and the VP in her kids school even presumed to lecture to the parents about how to bring up kids!!!
Another issue brought up was how comfortable we were with teachers being facebook friends with their Sec & JC students, and interacting with them socially. Some parents were all for maintaining a professional distance between student and teacher. Some were comfortable with teachers and students developing some social interactions, like myself.
At the end of the day, I found it instructive listening to the differing opinions expressed and found myself adjusting my own expectations of what the ministry can and should do, accordingly. Its quite different from discussing things online, where we can stridently uphold our opinions, safe in the annonymity behind pseudonames. When airing such diverse and often contradictory opinions in person, in an atmosphere that encourages conciliation and concensus, its difficult to become emotional, and are forced to admit that another person, legitimately, is entitled to a completely different point of view.
Bottom line : I think more people should make the effort to go for one of these "Conversations". Its a good experience.

Laura02
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time