25%
Somewhat.
28%
NO, Of course not!!
47%

Total votes : 36

Is your workplace pro-family?

Postby straffan23 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:08 pm

I wonder if there's any suitable threads for this topic already? Here's the thing - how would working parents rate their workplace / management? Pro-family? Somewhat? Or not at all?

Every morning, I drop my daughter off at the nursery near my workplace. Some mornings are happy, some starts with tears. Just like my daughter's mood, on some mornings, the traffic on the expressways are better on certain days, worse on others. And when we reach the nursery, sometimes it is what is expected, sometimes there is a long queue. Today was one of those mornings that didn't start as well as it should be. I ended up being 10 minutes late; arriving at 8:40am instead of the required 8:30am. :yikes:

And for this, I was reprimanded by the manager. When I wanted to explain, I was essentially told that punctuality (or the lack of, rather) is not tolerable, if I cannot be on time everyday, I should apply to come in 15mins late and end 15mins later. I wonder what got into me - the dam just shattered and I found myself crying! :cry:

Perhaps because I try so hard? And if I have tried so hard and sometimes still end up being a worldly 10 minutes late, I am reprimanded such? :siao: These are the days that I really feel like quitting - why bother trying so hard? I'm sure my daughter doesn't appreciate being chased out of the bed / door every morning! On days like this I wonder why I even try at all... :stupid: Am I working with the wrong people? Or perhaps if I cannot be on time I shouldn't even be working at all? So if my boss has a deadline do I even bother staying late? Maybe I should asked to be paid OT by the minute? :mad: :mad: :mad:

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Is your workplace pro-family?

Postby Lynn2010 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Tell your boss you will cut your lunch time (you bring your lunch). Does it make him happy?

Let's put it this way - do you do any work at all in the evening or weekends? Or stay behind to complete something? Or can you apply for 15 min leave?

Ours not so particularly about the 5 or 10 min late. Some even come in 1 hr late, but will cut short lunch hour and go back later, or complete the rest of the work from home - as long as work is completed.

I cant work with bosses who are inflexible. If they are not flexible, so am I. I will then start exactly 8.30am sharp and ends sharp. I ever challenge a boss who told me that i must start work punctually. I told him - no problem. I shall finish work sharp too. I also question him if that means if i'm half way through something, i shall stop as the time is up. Luckily your company did not stipulate toilet time - how many times an employee can go to the toilet or how long one can spend in the toilet!!

I havent come across yet... but this is "time" too. So, one can come in punctually and spend half an hour in the toilet??

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 pm

the yardstick is relative

what is pro-family to you may not be to me.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Joule » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:15 pm

I think your manager is a prick

normally managers should give and take a little. if work is done and completed on time, what's the point of getting so prickly for? unhappy workers are unproductive workers.

is there an important project that needs to be out? presentation to client? deadline for project? meeting or briefing?

no?

then just leave 10 minutes later, if he's sooo particular about this. don't overtime even when there is deadlines. just complete your 44 hrs per week.

I am sorry that this had to happen. it's just most unfortunate that we are lower on the 'food chain' and thus are in a position to be 'makan' by others.

my workplace is quite pro family, but I think I'm very lucky, and high up just barely enough on the food chain and my boss is very understanding so I can leave office early to attend to sniffles and bring kid to docs. eh, I make up for it with the midnight emails and other sh#t ok?

it really depends on your boss...

Just asking ah, I'm not misogynistic, but is boss a woman? my female friends say women in management positions tend to do nasty things to other women workers. just confirming.

Joule
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:39 am

straffan23 wrote:I wonder if there's any suitable threads for this topic already? Here's the thing - how would working parents rate their workplace / management? Pro-family? Somewhat? Or not at all?

Every morning, I drop my daughter off at the nursery near my workplace. Some mornings are happy, some starts with tears. Just like my daughter's mood, on some mornings, the traffic on the expressways are better on certain days, worse on others. And when we reach the nursery, sometimes it is what is expected, sometimes there is a long queue. Today was one of those mornings that didn't start as well as it should be. I ended up being 10 minutes late; arriving at 8:40am instead of the required 8:30am. :yikes:

And for this, I was reprimanded by the manager. When I wanted to explain, I was essentially told that punctuality (or the lack of, rather) is not tolerable, if I cannot be on time everyday, I should apply to come in 15mins late and end 15mins later. I wonder what got into me - the dam just shattered and I found myself crying! :cry:

Perhaps because I try so hard? And if I have tried so hard and sometimes still end up being a worldly 10 minutes late, I am reprimanded such? :siao: These are the days that I really feel like quitting - why bother trying so hard? I'm sure my daughter doesn't appreciate being chased out of the bed / door every morning! On days like this I wonder why I even try at all... :stupid: Am I working with the wrong people? Or perhaps if I cannot be on time I shouldn't even be working at all? So if my boss has a deadline do I even bother staying late? Maybe I should asked to be paid OT by the minute? :mad: :mad: :mad:

:snuggles: I hope today will be a better day for you.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:31 am

Hi straffan23

Just wish to know what industry is yr coy in n yr job nature. I wld have thought that most immed superior n not so Miao unless it becomes habitual.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby straffan23 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:44 am

Sometimes I think it is not the sector but the individual department itself. I'm not quite the lowest in the foodchain and no, my work does not require me to be on the dot because I don't run a service counter. Yes, I do work late from time to time, and weekends as well. Yes, I do lunch in - but you see, they're here to see what time the rest comes in, but not around during lunch; nor do they stay late enough to see what time you leave.

Yes, this is the alpha female manager. I was once told that in every office, there needs to be one office B / timekeeper nazi! The part that pains me most is that I am guilty for just ME being late; apparently responsible for setting a bad example for other colleagues, too! I suppose they have no brains. :yikes:

I don't think the boss himself cares - if he does he delegates the bad-guy duties to this alpha female.

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:55 am

If its just a one off encounter, then let it be...no point feeling upset for more than a day. After all, if u have been putting in the extra time during lunch n after work, u have not shortchanged yr coy.
Let's put it behind n have a good day today!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:18 am

First of all, straffan23 :hugs: May today be a better day for you.

Let me share a true incident which happen close to ten years ago. It may not make you feel better but your story reminded me of it.

This young man was working in one MNC. This young man is a talented chap, not highly educated but talented. One day, three months after he joined the company, he had a quibble with his immediate supervisor(a male), who was also the head of department. He said the supervisor was not happy with him arriving 5 minutes late every day. Young man said he had never left the office on the dot and had never taken long lunches and that the supervisor should not have picked on the 5 minutes.

I told young man to be punctual. My point was it’s the company policy that working hours start at 8.30am. The supervisor was not entirely wrong to reprimand the young man. However, I did tell young man that I did not believe that was the way (to pick on small things) and that as a supervisor, one should look beyond the face value. Being physically at the desk does not mean one is working. It is silly of the supervisor to pick on this but that’s his management/leadership style.

Young man parted ways with the company less than a month later. And yes, the 5 minutes was one of the catalysts which brought forth the parting. I like to believe the company had lost a good staff because of some practices adopted some individual.

Some folks are just very extreme when it comes to punctuality. My take is, as a subordinate/employee, please be punctual at all times. As a leader/manager, please close one eye but lead by example. But Straffan23, I am on your side hor, don’t take it the wrong way.

In my work place, most of us do not start work punctually. Even when they are at their desk punctual, they may not be working. However, so long as my team get the work done and attend meetings/discussion on time, I don’t see a problem. In a staff-boss relationship, a little understanding extended (to the staff) can go a long mile, that’s my take.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 am

But back to the subject header - Is your workplace pro-family?

I see some pro-family measures in place for the employees. So the Company is pro-family. But hor, the folks working in the company is not leh…. and that’s even worse :stupid:

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time