WTA : Color Deficiency - Impact to study & career choices

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

WTA : Color Deficiency - Impact to study & career choices

Postby BeContented » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 am

Understand people with color deficiency may not be able to pursue certain study subjects & career choices.

Previously I was considering Engineering Degree for DS in future as he seems interested and has an aptitude in the Maths/Physics area. But now that I know he is color deficient, we are trying to amend the path a little so that he would have more options in life in future. Any comments would be welcome.

Would appreciate hearing from those who knows about color deficiency and your experience. Thank you.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: WTA : Color Deficiency - Impact to study & career choice

Postby tankee » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:53 am

Hi

It depends on what category is the colour deficiency and the degree(?) of the deficiency. Apart from some peculiar jobs, like pilot, most others are ok, perhaps slight disadvantaged at times.

See this for some info

http://www.askadmissions.nus.edu.sg/app ... deficiency

tankee
Site Admin

Postby mummyv » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:04 pm

hi BeContented

I think it would depend on severity of your child's deficiency. Jobs that need full colour perception include engineers, pilots, lab research technicians, traffic controllers, etc. In severe cases, driving is not allowed. Most common would be red/green colour deficiency. NUS/NTU engineering, they do not admit those with this deficiency. In the 80's, friend w this was rejected when he applied for Engineering. Ended up doing business major.

mummyv
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby BeContented » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:09 pm

tankee wrote:Hi

It depends on what category is the colour deficiency and the degree(?) of the deficiency. Apart from some peculiar jobs, like pilot, most others are ok, perhaps slight disadvantaged at times.

See this for some info

http://www.askadmissions.nus.edu.sg/app ... deficiency

Thanks tankee.
Not sure the severity cos' the docs did not state on the letter, just mentioned he is color deficient and should not choose studies/career where color discrimination is important. So that's why I feel it's better to change path earlier since Electrical Engr is an area that requires ability to see color. Guess cannot take after the father's footstep :sad:

Looking back, now I understand why sometimes DS kena scolded cos none of us aware of his condition.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time