Will passionate teachers be gone?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Will passionate teachers be gone?

Postby PhoBIA » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:34 am

With the changes in MOE recently and many overprotective parents of today, will passionate teachers who dare to speak their mind become extinct?

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Will passionate teachers be gone?

Postby AC_Power » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:19 am

PhoBIA wrote:With the changes in MOE recently and many overprotective parents of today, will passionate teachers who dare to speak their mind become extinct?

You mean such teachers are still in existence?

AC_Power
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby PhoBIA » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:47 am

Difficult to exist because they get into trouble for saying the truth. And truth hurts, few parents want to hear the truth.

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 pm

Can you give some examples of the truths that you have in mind? :smile:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mawar » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:17 pm

I have faith in us. These teachers will continue to live out their passion. More will step forward.

Most parents are reasonable. Many stand on the side of our teachers when it comes to schooling matters. I am one of them.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:21 pm

AC_Power wrote:
PhoBIA wrote:With the changes in MOE recently and many overprotective parents of today, will passionate teachers who dare to speak their mind become extinct?

You mean such teachers are still in existence?

What's your idea of passionate teacher?

When I see ex-students visiting their primary school teachers, I have no experience of sec school yet, I know that the teachers must have made an impact in the kids' lives, so that even as teenagers they are still rather excited to have a chance to see their primary school teachers. :smile:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:15 pm

i think passionate teachers will still continue to teach when they leave moe.. they will just teach in a different platform...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sparks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:39 pm

your question worries me. I thought the recent MOE changes are for the better. If teachers are passionate about teaching, then I like to believe that more (instead of less) will step forward to voice out their concerns.

I think it is time for our education system to have a overhaul so that our children can enjoy learning again & have a good schooling experience. We need as many passionate teachers as there can be, not teachers who only concern themselves with KPI.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby PhoBIA » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Teaching is fulfilling job. However, not many people has the strong heart to survive the overprotective parents of today.

Why are so many MOE teachers leaving to teach private tuition?
How does schools take parents complains? What is their stand when they receive negative feedback on their teachers?

Many parents nowadays blame the teachers for not inspiring their children. Some even blame the teachers for killing their child's interest.
There are also a handful of parents who are very hands off (children don't do homework, don't bring books to school....etc) and yet expect good results. When the children falls below 'their expectations', they blame the teachers for not teaching well.
If teachers feedback, they say teachers always give negative feedback, kill their child's interest in the subject.

It's always the teachers fault at the end of the day. It is really a thankless job. Only truly passionate people can stay.

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby chenwj » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:08 am

I am only concerned with those who joined the teaching profession simply because they think it is a iron rice bowl, especially in the current uncertainty in the market and private sector.

I noticed the language teachers tend to be more passionate. I noticed it during my time, and now, my kid's time.

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time