R.HarmonyDay Izit Limit toChinese,Malay&India Costumes o

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

R.HarmonyDay Izit Limit toChinese,Malay&India Costumes o

Postby Needy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:56 pm

Dear all parents,

I told my friend I went to get a japanese costume for my boy for tomorrow Racial Harmony Day. My friend told me R.Harmony Day is actually limit to Chinese, Malay & Indian Costumes only ?

But my understanding is they can wear other costumes likes Japanese, Korean etc.. on Harmony Day. which is true ya ? :? :?

Needy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:05 pm

I think their focus is on Singapore races only. So korea, japan,etc... don't apply.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Needy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Huhh.... really ar ? :(

Since I have got it then I will let him to wear tomorrow dunno ok or not ? :roll:

Needy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:37 pm

I wasn't sure about this racial harmony too. Initially I thot Spore is such an int'l place, any costume sb fine.

Heard from my girl that her friend wanted to wear korean and teacher commented that racial harmony only applies to Sore major races.

Anyway, since you already bought, I think it's fine.

My girl is gg Indian.... surprisingly the indian punjab dress that I bought from India 3 yrs ago fit. However, my son cannot squeeze into his Indian costume... never worn before....

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ghostz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:14 pm

just say you have korean etc ancestry so as not to let the costume go to waste. as long as the message of mutual respect and multiethnicity is drummed into our kids, don't let pedantic school rules spoil the kids' fun :)

ghostz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:56 am

My DD's sch did not ask them to wear ethnic costumes but I'm sure she can wear Korean cos she has a Korean classmate.

ADD: Schs are so multi-racial nowadays that you can always find students from Myanmar, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Korea, Japan, etc. Yes, even neighbourhood schs so if schs/teachers insist only on certain races, aren't they not showing respect to the concept of Racial Harmony?
Last edited by schellen on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sashimi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:05 am

Sigh. We live in a country where when you are queueing for cinema tickets, the two chaps in front of me are chatting in Korean, the couple behind me are talking in Vietnamese, and the 3 guys at the counter are from PRC.

Why deny the truth...... 8)

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time