Car Accident! How to handle?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Car Accident! How to handle?

Postby Bowie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:44 am

Hi All,

Guess most of us will be blur when car accident happened.
Got into a car accident with a reckless driver recently.
Just want to share info so that other party will not take advantage of you when you are not prepare.

Above is the simple 3 steps that you must remember when accident happened. Details can be found at
http://www.gia.org.sg/industry_motor_mcf.php

Additional info learnt from my incident.
1) No matter what the other party say or negotiate, for your interest, you must make a report with any Accident Report Center, within 24 hrs. FYI, submitting report doesn't mean you will claim insurance and cannot settle privately if a deal is strike. YOU CAN STILL settle privately!!

2) If settle privately, the person must signed to acknowledge what happened and he will fulfill his part of agreement before you start to do repair. If not, he may "eat" his words later and after repair, you cannot go through insurance claim anymore.

3) MY Personal Advise. If you are totally not at fault. DON"T BE SO KIND!! Some pple may look harmless and pitiful to negotiate for private settlement but GO AHEAD with your insurance claim on him. Cos my incident teach me, it DOES NOT PAY TO BE KIND! Claiming insurance only need to go report and send your vehicle to your dealer for repair. 1 trip. Talking to cunning people will only waste your time. :x

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RRMummy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:50 am

Hi Bowie, I hope besides the damage on the car, you and fellow passengers are alright... thanks for sharing... it is a good reminder to be save then be sorry..

:thankyou:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Bowie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:04 am

Thanx RRMummy,

Fortunately, everything is ok beside my car. Was alone then.
Was really shaken when it took place. But really proud of myself as I have hid my fear very well. :wink:

The only regret is I too kind to the reckless driver and end up wasting my time.

Just hope I can bring up some awareness (esp. to our ladies drivers) so that we will have some preset ideas on what to do and not be lost or even be taken advantage of when accident happened. :D

Bowie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Urgent ! Pls give advices, Car accident.

Postby Anna Ng » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:05 am

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

Yesterday, one of my colleagues was helping me to shift some old furniture out from my house. He drove the company van; unfortunately he hits other people car and the repairing charge was about $1200.00. My colleague is come from Indian and work as general worker in my company and his salary is about $1000 per month only. I decided to bear half of the cost, but if you are me, what will you do? At first, I promise to pay him $50 only for the labor cost (the removing of furniture). He is a very nice guy and I feel guilty if he has to pay the repairing cost from his pocket money.

Anna Ng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Urgent ! Pls give advices, Car accident.

Postby jedamum » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:11 am

this is very tricky...
if he had offered to help with the move without the $50 for labour, i would pay for the $1200 charge in full. but since he knows that he is 'helping' with something in return, he has to bear the responsibilities.
but $600 repair cost is more than half of his salary...how is he going to survive?
no wonder you feel bad....

mods, i think we can merge 'Car Accidents' discussion together here.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Anna Ng » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:16 am

The more tricky part is, my husband is the one who suppose to drive the company van. But my colleague said he wants to drive.

Anna Ng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Funguy71 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:27 am

If I were you, I would pay to him the $50 which has been promised earlier.

Then the repairing charges of $1200, I wld ask him to bear 25% of it coz he hit other ppl's car, not other ppl hits the company car. So he must bear the responsiblities. To me, 25% is ok since his salary not so much. Then the rest of 75% beared by your hubby. :wink:

Funguy71
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 am

insider wrote:Overall, you should know him better as whether he worth your full payment or co-payment in this case.

Fully agree. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:08 pm

er.... no insurance? :?

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Urgent ! Pls give advices, Car accident.

Postby titank » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Anna Ng wrote:Yesterday, one of my colleagues was helping me to shift some old furniture out from my house. He drove the company van; unfortunately he hits other people car and the repairing charge was about $1200.00. My colleague is come from Indian and work as general worker in my company and his salary is about $1000 per month only. I decided to bear half of the cost, but if you are me, what will you do? At first, I promise to pay him $50 only for the labor cost (the removing of furniture). He is a very nice guy and I feel guilty if he has to pay the repairing cost from his pocket money.

Since the car have insurance coverage then should claim through insurance. You don't have to headache about it.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time